Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Corner Balancing, an attempt at questions and hopefully answers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008
Living Life Turn After Turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
Corner Balancing, an attempt at questions and hopefully answers.

So, today (1/25/08) i'm going to get my car corner ballanced, at Westend Alignment for those who are wondering. I've read a few articles about what it is and read a few comments about how corner balancing is "the best money i've ever spent!" or "it greatly improved my handling!".
I have an idea about what it does.... balance the weight between all four corners so it fits a sort of ratio. whether it is L to R, Front to Back, and ..... Diagonal???? haha. okay then! balancing an equation of some sort. But how does it improve handling?
How does it work? well,the most common thing i read is that, with coilovers or height adjustable suspension of some sort, the height is raised or lowered. now for ground control coils, the collar is adjusted, but this will also effect the position of the shock travel.

IF there is anything to add about this subject, please do so.

AS FOR ME......

my main personal quesition but what about, for example buddy club coilovers(what i have on). they are independant from the collar that adjusts the spring preload. now would the properway to corner balance be to adjust the preload collar, being that it is easier, or the independant collar? the problem is it is difficult and may need the coilover to be taken off.... or is there an alternative way? will adjusting the preload of the spring to adjust the height be harmful, interms of my shock travel? If i'm totally off please correct me.

To be honest, this whole subject somewhat still confuses me... i understand the broad theory of it, but when it comes down to it.... "so what about corner balancing????" all i know is "it's worth doing and adds to performance", but i dont understand the theory and physics of it.

hopefully for those track/autoX junkies, please bring some light into this subject!
Old 02-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Corner Balancing, an attempt at questions and hopefully answers.

Corner balancing improves the handing characteristic of the car by balancing corners opposite one or side to side. Corner balancing cannot change the weight distribution from the front to rear, only physically moving weight front to rear can change this (i.e. battery relocation), but you can move the weight that you have from side to side. Think of it like a chair with an unbalanced car being a chair with legs of different lengths and a balanced car having all the same length. The difference effects the geometry of the suspension and handing characteristics of the car.

As far as adjustment of a separate spring load and height, you want the spring load to be the same on all 4 corners and then do the height separate, that is the benifit of that type of coilover.

Where the diagonal portion comes into play is what you will see is the - and + with be the same diagonally, anotherwards if the left corner is carrying less weight than the right corner in the front than the right corner will carry less weight in the rear.

Also if you rarely ever have a passenger I would corner balance it with you in the car.