Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Ksports: Springs still binding. UPDATE: Possible solution, see post #12

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough
Ksports: Springs still binding. UPDATE: Possible solution, see post #12

So I've been fighting with my Ksports for quite some time now, trying both the kit Ksport offered for free, with new washers, and just a few days ago I replaced their rough plastic washers with some custom smooth nylon ones. The springs are still binding when I turn the wheel. They pop and tong, and now that my car is finally in correct alignment (0 toe, 0 Camber F&R) I can say for sure that the springs are pulling my car off the road. If I turn right, my cars pulls right. If I turn left, my car pulls left. You get the idea....

Ksport says the sound is normal, and I just recently could confirm that the springs are actually pulling the car to either side. I'm probably going to contact them again, but seeing as they have helped very little, I'm now looking for other options.

Bearings, washers, anything....I don't know what options would be available if any, but I'd love to hear some ideas tossed around.

Thanks in advance,
Baker

Last edited by bakertime; 11-14-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

valenzuela should not be trustedvalenzuela should not be trustedvalenzuela should not be trusted
Re: Ksports: Springs still binding, need ideas!

have you checked to see if the springs are seated correctly on the struts. and if the strut top bolt is torq. correctly?
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

i think i've told you this before, but i would get the 2001 civic top mounts installed on the coilovers. i've had the same problem that you're experiencing, but with different coilovers (same pulling also). i dont know if the Ksports came with any top mounts or not, but just get them put on, as they are not that expensive.

make sure you get 2001 top mounts. the 2002 and up civics used a ball bearing topmount that will creak from not seating correctly.
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

^ i'd say try what he says too.

i have the same exact problem with my car, but not coilovers. koni's and pro-kit. never had enough time to mess with it so hopefully i get it sorted out this winter.
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, it came with pillowball mounts. I should have included that. Would the stock upper mounts fit on the ksports? Has anyone ever done this?
Old 11-13-2007
Registered!!

Mralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to beholdMralbino is a splendid one to behold

I have binding too on my D2's... doesn't pull my car or anything. I spray White Lithium Grease on all the endlinks of the sway park and on top and bottom of the spring and that got rid of the sound for awhile, it is now back again... it may have to with the cold weather

Doesn't bother me that much though, it's not that bad for mine.
Old 11-13-2007
Registered!!

Yeah, at first I thought "oh well, I'll learn to love the sound!" and then I discovered the pulling and realized it was more serious.
Old 11-13-2007
Registered!!

silver04si is an unknown quantity at this point

I highly doubt it's your springs pulling your car, if your alignment is good then I would definetly check your wheels for correct balancing. I have the ksports and the lithium grease between both washers has worked for me. Do not put grease on the spring or where the washer touches the spring. Put it between the washers on the plastic washer. Putting grease on the washer where it contacts the spring will cause your spring to move even more. Thats why that plastic is in between the washer to allow for the washers to move separately and obviously if your spring is binding both washers are moving together when you turn the wheel. You should try doing this is very simple and worked for me.
Old 11-13-2007
Registered!!

Wish I could say it wasn't the springs, but given the pulling after turning issue it is the only option. I've tried lubrication to no avail, and I continue to hear popping when turning.

I'm going to pull apart my stock strut and take a look at the bearing sometime soon. Who knows, maybe I can find a way to use the top mount or the bearing.

Last edited by bakertime; 11-13-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2007
Registered!!

Just pulled apart a stock shock, and I was greeted with good and bad news.

The good: it appears that the Ksport will fit perfectly in the stock mount.

The bad: the Ksport upper spring perch is way to small to sit on the correct part of the bearing. it seems the only way to fix this would be a milled spacer, which in turn would probably be too thick to still get the nut on the top.

So that won't work. Any other ideas? Ksport is offering to send a new set of pillowballs, which I guess it worth a shot.

Last edited by bakertime; 11-13-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2007
Registered!!

YuckerDisMe is an unknown quantity at this point

ksports are a piece of crap, i have the control pro coilovers and they make alot of noise even though they gave me the replacement parts. Word of advice to anyone who wants to buy them..."dont"
Old 11-14-2007
Registered!!

If it weren't for this whole spring issue, they'd be ok...

I think I may have found a bearing that will fit any coilover, I'll update once I get some size specs.

Update: I finally found a site that explicitly says the size of the bearings. They're called roller thrust bearings, and are a washer with small rollers that allow another washer on top to spin freely under load. I'm not sure if they would go on the top or bottom of the springs, but I might just get two kits for the top and bottom. What do you guys think?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/6001...D-Springs.html

Last edited by bakertime; 11-14-2007 at 08:22 AM.