Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Ksport - Spring Rate Choice Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boggie6868 should not be trusted
Ksport - Spring Rate Choice Need Input

Hey Everyone,

Ok so after about 2.5 years with my ksport coilovers, the rears are now blown. I guess thats normal? Not sure, but either way I have to replace the actual shocks $100 bucks a piece. Since I'm getting new shocks I was thinking I should get new springs.

The springs that come with the ksports are 7kg. Since the rear springs feel a bit soft I was thinking I should upgrade. I have the choice of staying 7kg or upping it to 8kg, 9kg, 10kg, or 12kg.

The current suspension modds as follows:
Ksport coilovers
Ksport camber kit
22mm ITR rear sway w/poly bushings
J's Racing RCA
J's Racing Adjustable Tie Rods

From what I heard from the ksport guy, upping the rear spring will make my car tend to oversteer a bit more. I don't really want to increase my oversteer, the car feels pretty neutral to me. But I did hear that when having a large rear sway you should have stiffer springs too.

The car has a tiny bit of oversteer when pushed really hard. If I bump up to higher spring will that increase my oversteer? How will changing the spring affect the overall handling of the car?

Can anyone give me some insight to this topic?
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

soldierboi will become famous soon enoughsoldierboi will become famous soon enough
Re: Ksport - Spring Rate Choice Need Input

i dont really know much about coilovers but hey man how low can you go with ksport? im thinking about getting that or the D2s
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

amatias is an unknown quantity at this point

^^For price get the ksports/D2s, unless you want to spend a little more for tein with the same specs.
Hey Boggie6868 how can you tell if the shocks are blown? Cause I think my rears may need overhauling too. So Ksport overhauls the coilovers?
Old 06-29-2007
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Dont bother, as stiffer springs are only usefull if you are running very grippy tires (where you'd need the extra roll resistance). Other wise all you are doing is needlessly increasing the cars suspension frequency... which will just make you have less cornering grip. (High suspension frequency = Low mechanical grip)

Regardless, what are you preping the car for?
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

zps2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Either way i have a set of 9.3 kg rear springs for the k-sports sitting in my apartment. Never used. $60 will get them going your way. Let me know.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

The car is driven daily. I'm trying to do a lot of autox all summer and during the school year. I have RT615 on there, maybe going to get dot r compounds next.

9.3 Might be way to high. I'll think about it.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

Btw what will it do to the car if its 7kg in the front and 8kg in the rear? Should I try to keep it 8kg all around just like the 7kg all around ksport sells the coilovers as?
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

I would say get stiffer in the rear and keep 7kg in the front. It would help with rotation. Also 9.3 is still good for the shocks. I son't think it would be too stiff for a daily driver. With the high moment ratio in out rear suspensions the 9.3 would be about 5 at the wheel which is soft. Most of the rough ride would come from the front. I also found that one full turn from full soft was the best ride in the k-sports.
Old 06-30-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

hey im really interrested in where this thread is going because right now im thinking about getting skunk2 full coilovers for an ep3 and puttin them on my 01 coupe. I just want it for daily driving but im really worried about the back springs being so stiff. How bad will the ride be?
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

It depends on the dampers. I mean one of my good friends has a 83 hatch he runs in SM. The car weighs 2100lbs, and has a lower moment ratio in the rear then in our cars and he runs 800lbs in the front and 700 in the rear. He runs the softer rear because he has a ungodly huge rear sway bar. His car is still perfectly good for daily driving. Partly because he has koni's. The main reason the k-sports are harsh is because the high speed dampening is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too high.
Old 07-01-2007

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

well i dont think i'd do sway bars with the stiffer springs. Would i still be okay then. Like these coilovers are more for street than track. I read on the ephatch forum that they're great for dd but not so good for track. They have no dampening should i still risk it and order a set?
Old 07-01-2007
Registered!!

Why don't you start your own thread about what coilovers to get, and stop jacking mine.

Btw what is this high moment ratio you keep speaking of.
Old 07-01-2007
Registered!!

The moment ratio is basically how much spring rate is actually going to the wheels. for the Front since our cars are Mcpherson. Basically all of the 7kg spring rate is going to the wheels. In the rear though the spring is about half way back to the axis of rotation for the lower contol arm. This means that with a 7KG rear spring 3.5kg are actually getting to the wheels.
Old 07-01-2007
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

hey shannon,

i got 440lb fronts and 330lb rears on gc coilovers with koni shocks. I think with the conversion its around 8k fronts and 6k rears. I have my shocks on the softest settings but i think the rear is still too bumpy sometimes. But i love it around the turns.

Does your coilovers have damper adjustment? if they do, then you can just set the rears to a stiffer setting. That would compensate for the softer feeling in the rear.

Having a higher spring rate in the rear then the front is a little danagerous for daily driving, just because most people tend to brake or take there foot off the gas pedal in emergency situations.

Larger sway bar won't make your springs stiffer. Larger rear sway will make your car tend to oversteer. Also keep this in mind, can you shocks handle stiffer rear springs? If your rears already blew out after about 3yrs on the stock springs. You might blow out another set of shocks with the higher spring rate.

Spring rates don't determine how well a car handles, its a combination of spring rate, and shock dampening.
Old 07-01-2007

thanks for those tips