Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

did anyone here roll their quarter panels?

Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
did anyone here roll their quarter panels?

I'm running 205/40/17 on sportlines and my rear definitely rubs. I can't have my camber at zero in the back, so I'm almost a degree negative on each wheel in the back to keep them from rubbing. Although I don't think it'll be too bad on my tires (someone can correct me if I'm wrong here), I'd like to just have it perfect on all wheels. It doesnt rub inside, just on that little lip on the quarter.

so anyone that has rolled their quarters, how'd you go about doing it?
Old 01-12-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
no but id like to

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 01-12-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

aznprid214 has a spectacular aura aboutaznprid214 has a spectacular aura about
i'd like to do it too
Old 01-12-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
how are you rubbing? lol. I have that same size tire on coilovers and its dropped WAY low and it doesnt rub...thats wierd.
Old 01-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
rubber hammer.
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

zonk is an unknown quantity at this point
what but the lower control arms? would they help any?
Old 01-13-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
^^ no
a degree of camber isn't going to do anything. I think I'm running a degree and a half (but also 2 and a quarter in the front).
The RIGHT way to do it is with a heat gun and a fender rolling tool. Call shops, it should be 50 or 75 bucks to get it done right. Using a hammer can mess up the paint on the outside too.
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
^^ no
a degree of camber isn't going to do anything. I think I'm running a degree and a half (but also 2 and a quarter in the front).
The RIGHT way to do it is with a heat gun and a fender rolling tool. Call shops, it should be 50 or 75 bucks to get it done right. Using a hammer can mess up the paint on the outside too.
thanks a lot man. I didn't really think that the 1 degree would hurt much. I don't understand why they make the quarter panel like that, with that lip sticking out. It's so close, but I got an alignment yesterday and had them put the rears at 1 degree negative (I needed one anyway) and now it doesn't rub, but it's still really, really close. I have a heat gun and a fender rolling tool but I'm just scared to try it on my own...haha. maybe if I'm feeling ambitious this weekend I'll give it a go.

Last edited by beadebaserr; 01-13-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Its made like that because its easy to spotweld the floor to the quarter panel if you just spotweld the lip.
Honda doesnt care, they made the car to put 185mm tires on it at stock height, and they fit.
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by spoonEM
how are you rubbing? lol. I have that same size tire on coilovers and its dropped WAY low and it doesnt rub...thats wierd.
It's called OFFSET...though I'm actually wondering too, because i have the same setup with wheels that are considerably offset (just shy of sticking out of the wheel well)....and I get nowhere near rubbing.
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

1SikVik is an unknown quantity at this point
Noooooooooooo, but I've had them shaved. Used to have some 225/40/17 and I had rubbing issues....Got the fenders shaved and still had rubbing issues, therefore I downsized to 215/40/17....Good to go now
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

matt86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly i'd just run the negative camber in the back. It will make your tires wear slightly more but as long as the toe is set to 0 you should be fine... thats what will really eat the tires. If the rolling of the fenders isn't done right then it can cause the paint to mess up... not worth it imo
Old 01-25-2007
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
So yeah... Just to expand on the offset issue. Your setup probably has the center of the tire sticking out more towards the fender. I have Rota Mugen 10 replica's and I run 215/45 R17 and they rub the inside slightly when not lowered, but not the outside. When lowered they rub the outside slighty, but not the inside.

I guess just pay attention to all of the variables. Tire width, wheel offset, and individual differences between cars. Sometimes they'll make one with fenders that go in more I guess...

I have 225's waiting to get mounted on my wheels, so I will definately need to roll my fenders to be able to put those on.
Old 01-28-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got 225/40s currently and had to roll my rear fenders. The car is lowered, I don't know how much from stock - I've got Tein SS adjustable dampers - so they rubbed when my old 215s didn't. But, here's how I rolled my fenders. I don't recommend this method on a car with a finished paint job, but since mine is currently primered, I didn't care.

Begin Ghetto-fab fender roll:

I took my daughter's aluminum T-ball bat, wedged it between the fender and the tire and rolled forward and back about 2 times each. its recommended to have someone SLOWLY move the car forward and back while you hold the bat to let the car do the rolling. However, since it was cold when I wanted to do it, my wife didn't want to help. I've got forearms like Popeye so I was able to roll the bat myself with the car parked. It worked, my fenders are rolled, my tires don't rub anymore, and the paint only cracked a little. But its primer currently so who cares.

End Ghetto-fab fender roll

The point of this is that rolling your fenders isn't difficult. Honda body panels are fairly thin, so since you have the right tools (in otherwords not just a T-ball bat), just take your time and it should come out right.

Here's a rainy day shot, shortly after I rolled the rear fenders. Can't tell much detail but it works for me.

Old 01-31-2007
Registered!!

bigmax1665 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought an 04 civic and at speeds over 100 my front right wheel rubs. I am running it stock with my steelies. why does it do this? is it just because of soft suspension and bumps in the road? I want to lower my car and stiffen the suspension and put on some bigger wheels, like 16s. Will this be worse for it?
Old 02-02-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
This sounds a bit strange. You're sure your tire is rubbing? Not that I advise sticking your melon out the window at 100 mph+ to have a gander, but that doesn't sound right. My car is lowered, w/ 17s, strut bars, coilovers, etc.... (like a lot of folks here) and its not a problem. Yours however sounds like it might be something else...
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bigmax1665
I just bought an 04 civic and at speeds over 100 my front right wheel rubs. I am running it stock with my steelies. why does it do this? is it just because of soft suspension and bumps in the road? I want to lower my car and stiffen the suspension and put on some bigger wheels, like 16s. Will this be worse for it?
If it's coming from the front, check the fender liner to make sure it didn't come loose. It could be flapping in the wind and hitting your tire. It will make a rubbing sound.
Old 02-22-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
ATTENTION : PLEASE DONT DO IT WITH THE OLD BASEBALL BAT TRICK !!!! This f*kin dude who installed my lowering springs did it for me ... Now my rear quarter panels on both sides are out of shape... U cant tell that much from far ... but when u take a close look ... U CAN SEE IT VERY EASILY ... I wish I cud kill that Jack A*** yo .... :-(
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

man that sucks... i wanna roll mine bc i get a slight rub from when i had an accident. so is there any way to roll them properly?
Old 03-13-2007
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
205 45 17 ride hight: -1.5; mine only rubs on the passenger side, unless i hit huge bumps, then both. i think the bat will work, you just have to be super careful....i think that's what i'm gonna try if body shops cost too much ...
Old 03-13-2007
Registered!!

1SikVik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civic-king
205 45 17 ride hight: -1.5; mine only rubs on the passenger side, unless i hit huge bumps, then both. i think the bat will work, you just have to be super careful....i think that's what i'm gonna try if body shops cost too much ...
Body shop is gonna cost a lot more if you end up having to have your quarter panels repainted...Just spend a couple hundred and have it done right the first time.
Old 03-13-2007
Registered!!

i just rolled my driver side panel.. i had an air hose grinder... cut sections of my fender and roller individually... had like 1 ding on the out side you can see... rather than that you can't tell i rolled it. no cracks in paint either... and the tire is safe to ride up. i have 205 45 17 with tein s all around.
Old 03-13-2007
Registered!!

Honda2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow i thought 205/40/17 was safe with a lowered car, is there any tire size that wont cause tire rubbing or will you always have to roll your fenders
Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by mani_is_kool
ATTENTION : PLEASE DONT DO IT WITH THE OLD BASEBALL BAT TRICK !!!! This f*kin dude who installed my lowering springs did it for me ... Now my rear quarter panels on both sides are out of shape... U cant tell that much from far ... but when u take a close look ... U CAN SEE IT VERY EASILY ... I wish I cud kill that Jack A*** yo .... :-(
The right person can do that, no problem
Old 03-15-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
I still say dont do it please ... U never know who the right person is ... or when the right person can go WRONG !!!

That **** who worked on my car owns a performance shop man !!! How WRONG could some be who works on like 10 cars a day and lowers atleast 5 of them
Old 03-17-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
I say don't do the baseball bat method. I don't think it's controlled enough of a situation for my likeness. I'm just going to cut the whole lip off. Im in the middle of a re-paint so it's all good.
Old 03-17-2007
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Eyger
I say don't do the baseball bat method. I don't think it's controlled enough of a situation for my likeness. I'm just going to cut the whole lip off. Im in the middle of a re-paint so it's all good.
I really would not do that! The lip is a structual part of the panel, bend it-don't cut.
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: did anyone here roll their quarter panels?

i rolled mine last week. i used a dead-blow handle. it was rubber. worked great. first i tried a socket, metal on paint, bad. rubber on paint, good.
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough

i actually rolled my rears with a bat the other week it worked great. i didnt do it as it was said though. i took my scissor jack and jacked the back up jsut enough to roll the bat in there. i rolled the bat in the fender like 5 times then lowered the scissor jack a little bit then proceeded to roll it back some more. i kept on doing this until i thought it was rolled back enough. took like 20 minutes per fender but now its rolled no problems. the paint chipped off on the lip but its not visible. imo this is the best way to do it, you wont put too much stress on the quarterpanel if you slowly do it with the scissor jack.
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

bluedot is an unknown quantity at this point

I just rolled my fenders two nights ago with a baseball bat. It worked alright it chipped off a lot of paint. Im going to paint my car next month so I dont care about that. I did slightly warp the fender so now it has a bulge. I believe i can fix it easly. FYI different tire companys use different side walls and measurements for tire size. When i was running Kumho's 205 50r15 I had plenty of clearance. I just go the BFGoodwrench G force KDW's the same size and scrap in the rear (Im lowered on tein type flex coilovers). I would go to a custom car shop and have them roll your fenders with a fender rolling machine. Or rent one and do it yourself. Good Luck!
P.S. the G force tires rock! they considerably improved the handling. I have been attemting to spin the tires from a stop with out any success they just stick and go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: did anyone here roll their quarter panels?