Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Front Upper Strut bolt question (for all diy'ers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Front Upper Strut bolt question (for all diy'ers)

Well, the upper mounts on my b&gs have **** the bed. One nut/bolt on either side in the front just spins and I cant break the nut off of the tower to remove them.

Is there a way to somehow hold the bolt from the underside so I can take the nut off? I forgot completely what the stock upper mounts look like.. Anyone? Bueller...
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Take it to a shop. I had the same problem when I wanted to change strut bar from a cheapo ebay bar to neuspeed strut bar. The bolt was stripped so I first tried to break it off and rethread it but we couldn't. I took it to shop and they had to take out the whole strut assembly from the bottom to remove it. New top mounts cost me like 100 bucks.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep...same problem here...take it to the shop. they have to remove the whole assembly and replace the mounts.
Old 10-26-2006
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
I'll take a look at my B&Gs when I get home tonight. I know everytime we've run across this problem at our shop, we've realized that vice giprs/ large channel lock pliers can be your best friend...

And so can the hammer and torch.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Happened to me too, thank god I have friends that work at honda.
Old 10-26-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
thanks for the input but im going to take them off anyway to send the front struts to be rebuilt.

to clarify, which is hard to explain, can I remove the bolts by jacking the car up and working from the bottom up on them? Is there a way to get channel locks around the bolt to hold it in place while I work the nut from the top?

thanks all.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
If you have any bolt showing above the nut, cut a slot with a hacksaw and hold it with a screwdriver!
Old 10-27-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

Originally Posted by pon55
If you have any bolt showing above the nut, cut a slot with a hacksaw and hold it with a screwdriver!
cant, its got a neuspeed bar on it lol. pon, get your snow tires on!

i have a 14mm socket and a breaker bar on the top, what can i use to hold the bolt on the underside?
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

realitycheck is an unknown quantity at this point
I would use vice-grips preferably, but you might can get some channel locks to grip it. The vice-grips would definately work better though.
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by blouisgod
cant, its got a neuspeed bar on it lol. pon, get your snow tires on!

i have a 14mm socket and a breaker bar on the top, what can i use to hold the bolt on the underside?
Next week
Old 10-27-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

Originally Posted by pon55
Next week
**** its 82 here today.

bump for anyone who knows if the bolt is visible from inside the fender well. i cant look right now - @ work.
Old 10-27-2006
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
just checked out the bottom of the upper mount. doesn't look like there's gonna be a way to hold if from the bottom, unless you use the slit/screwdriver method and try to notch the bolt head with a dremel or something and then use a screwdriver from underneath.
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

**** its 82 here today.

bump for anyone who knows if the bolt is visible from inside the fender well. i cant look right now - @ work.
Must be terrible living where you don't see the fall foliage change and the bugs don't die
Old 10-27-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

Originally Posted by teampointless
just checked out the bottom of the upper mount. doesn't look like there's gonna be a way to hold if from the bottom, unless you use the slit/screwdriver method and try to notch the bolt head with a dremel or something and then use a screwdriver from underneath.
****, thanks for the information.
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

OK, this is just what I'de try. Put a slit it the top of the bolt (dremel-whatever), put the socket on the nut with a screwdriver thru the center hole. A screwdriver with a nut section near handle (snap-on) will help as will a socket with a "nut" section on top. Otherwise visegrips!
Good luck

Getto, but works!
Remove the other nuts and put a pickel-bar (ball joint remover) or screwdrivers under the open area, aka pry up on the top while loosening. An air wrench really helps!

Last edited by pon55; 10-27-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

thanks pon. the second one may work if i can get enough force on the bolt. btw both sides have a stripped bolt....f*uckkkk
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

thanks pon. the second one may work if i can get enough force on the bolt. btw both sides have a stripped bolt....f*uckkkk
Soak them overnight in liquid wrench-only liquid wrench
Old 10-27-2006
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road
oh man~, just get it to a machine shop.
Old 10-28-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

well car is to low to take to a shop for one thing lol. no one can get it up on the forks.
Old 10-30-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

any others
Old 11-01-2006
Registered!!

Blou is there anyway you can post a pic of the top and bottom side of the stud? I havent worked on mine in a long time and dont remember exactly what it looks like. I'd go look but im at work.
Old 11-01-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

wish i could man, its a damn process to jack up my car, thats why i am asking. i hopefully will jack it up this weekend...
Old 11-02-2006
Registered!!

Yeah I know what you mean man. Mines lowered on the eibach sportlines, which isnt too bad. I still have to lay two 2x6"s down roll back up on top of the first one and then the second and then I can fit my jack under it. I try to do it as little as possible.