Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Why does my civic handle like shit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Why does my civic handle like ****?

Feels soo sloppy in turns. I'm dropped on Eibach Sportlines, my brother has a stock Mazda3 and it handles better than my car, wtf? Is it normal for our civics? Oh yeah...I have 3 broken shocks, both rear, passenger front. Can that contribute to crappy handling?
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRED civic is an unknown quantity at this point
do you have shitty tires? No strut bars? Bad install on the springs?
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
Yes bad shocks can have a negative effect on the handling of your car. There is alot more to making a car handle better than just lowering it.
Old 09-05-2006
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just as the others have said run some drop shocks like tokico's and strap in some strut bars. Then you will own that mazda in the corners! Good luck keep us posted. Btw if you ride on blown shocks be careful it is dangerous.
Old 09-05-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Lets just say that most cars will benifit much more handling wise from a good set of dampers then a set of springs...

But any way, List of suspension tweaks in order of importance..

1. Tires
2. alignment
3. Dampers
4. Springs
5. anti-roll bars
6. chassis braces
Old 09-05-2006
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light
Dude what do you expect you just answered your own question. Your on 3 blown shocks and expect better handling
Old 09-05-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
haha.. stock mazda 3??

I test drove one of those before I got my civic, and yes, stock for stock the mazda 3 probably handles better.

a stock mazda can't come close to how my car handles now.

Originally Posted by MidnightCivic
Dude what do you expect you just answered your own question. Your on 3 blown shocks and expect better handling
Dito
Old 09-05-2006
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Cheapest way to fix the problem is to take your brothers Mazda off a few jumps until all his shocks blow.......(speedbumps will work but provide much less fun) ....... then your car will rule compared to his

But seriously get some Konis, or some full coilovers, a rear sway bar with the 2 tie bars and you'll be plenty happy with the way civics handle.
Old 09-06-2006
Pinkslip Racer

karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
ah alright thx for the answers guys. i had a feeling it mighta been the shocks...but i wasnt too sure if it played that big a role in handling performance
Old 09-06-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya it plays a huge diff. i drove a 92 accord with blown shocks and could barely turn without feeling like the car would slide.
Old 09-06-2006
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by karizzle
Feels soo sloppy in turns. I'm dropped on Eibach Sportlines, my brother has a stock Mazda3 and it handles better than my car, wtf? Is it normal for our civics? Oh yeah...I have 3 broken shocks, both rear, passenger front. Can that contribute to crappy handling?
You just answered your own question. Those springs are no good if you dont have a good setup of shocks to back them up.
I would recommend a full coil over. I've been pushing the SS TEINs about 2.5 inch drop and ride is still handling lovely.
Old 09-06-2006
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
damn economy cars...
Old 09-06-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
convert it to a AWD car with the CRV driveshaft. then laugh at the mazda 3 after you spend around 50,000 on your eco car just to make to turn as good as a bmw 318
Old 09-07-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
AWD doesnt mean good handling, as all cars have to obey the same laws of physics. It just means you can put power down better coming out of a given turn.
Old 09-15-2006
Registered!!

Axxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, this chit keeps getting better!

What's next? "Why does my car handle like ****? Could it be because I have three flat tires, LOL!"

Last edited by Axxe; 09-15-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2006
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Axxe
Man, this chit keeps getting better!

What's next? "Why does my car handle like ****? Could it be because I have three flat tires, LOL!"
LMAO!!!

An Audi A3 was tailgating me as I was entering a freeway loop onramp the other day, so I punched it through the turn. I don't know if the driver got scared or whether the car couldn't take it, but he backed off in the middle of the turn. Made me feel proud of my mighty little Civic. There goes my story. It would have been better if I could have done that with a broken axle and 2 spare tires on, but that wasn't the case in this story.
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

Axxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, MrXclusive does that all the time, his car is on rails. Tein SS and Falken Azenis RT615 are a great combo