Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Suspension... am i being overly stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedBull is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Suspension... am i being overly stupid

I've been wanting to work on my suspension for awhile... but don't wanna just buy any 'ol parts without really knowing enough.

Now that NA Motorsports is having a Neuspeed sale... i wanna pick up a upper strut bar and maybe the sedan springs, it'll be like $260 w/free shipping. I plan on at least picking up some tokico blues within a month... maybe d-specs or konis. I use my car as a daily driver but i'd like to do some street/autoX stuff... cause that's pretty much what i do when i'm driving anyway. I should probably stop doing that on a daily basis... i got issues.

Here's whats got me all screwy in the head... is the neuspeed sedan springs what i need/want? I'm more worried about the drop messing up my car more than anything... like the tire/wheel rubbing or slamming up into the fender well from the crappy roads we got here in Pennsylvania. I care about ride comfort and handling... but i don't want to beat the crap outta my car. Sometimes i already scrape my exhaust... the front, sometimes more towards the middle. I usually drive pretty agressively. And my original suspension has held in there pretty good... but recently i noticed when i hit a decent bump going 60-70mph... it "thunks" alittle and i think it's cause it's bottoming out. It's the original '01 suspension and i've beat it up alot. I give people alot of rides... take long trip with stuff in the back, and i got a box w/2 10"s that stays in there. But last week a shop told me my struts were fine.

I'm riding on 205/40 17 ZR 80W and i've been told to go to like 45-50 and it'll help smooth the ride out but i'm worried about rubbing all the time.
I measured and 2" would leave me with like an inch... but what happens when i hit a hard bump... does the tire/wheel slam up into the fender with only an inch left like that? Can the fender well take a tight turn with the wheels/tires i have?

Alot of people said i'll be fine with neuspeed springs... others say just go with a 1" drop only. I've looked at the tokico strut/spring package deals... they look ok.
Here's some pics:

Sorry the car is dirty... it rained this morning while i was driving

Honestly... what do you guys think? is the neuspeed gonna be too low or am i just being a lame scared ***? Opinions on how i should go about this...
I'd like to drive with someone who's dropped so i can tell what to expect... but i'm sure you guys can help me out.

Last edited by RedBull; 05-18-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
i just bought neuspeed sports and tokico blues for my coupe, gonna be installing them saturday. I heard they ride great and its about a 1.75" 2" drop when settled
Old 05-18-2006
Registered!!

yeah alot of people have said the same... alot of people who's word i think i can trust on here.... but i'm not too worried about the ride... it's the rubbing and wheel/tire smacking the fender... i don't know crap about how this effects stuff like that... i read through alot of threads... and the suspension faq... but it just made me even more paraniod about all this.
Old 05-18-2006

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
im gonna be on stock wheels and tires for my drop until i get rims, if it doesnt rub on those im sure it wont on yours
Old 05-18-2006
Registered!!

hmm... maybe i should just go for it... but i don't wanna get 'em and loose some cash reselling them. Cash got alittle tighter when the college i'm gonna start told me about some extra crap i gotta get. I don't wanna be cheap... but i don't wanna spend poorly.

BTW: i also already have a SPC camber kit waiting to be put on. The NA Motorsport sale ends this month... so i got time to decide i suppose.
Old 05-18-2006

i say just go for it
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
you want rub or anything dude. i think im pretty low on 205/40/16 and i dont rub or hit fenders or nothin. its just the bottom of my car that suffers. lol you can check out my new pix thread in the members ride section if you want an idea of how low i am and compare to your drop...check out the pix.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

boy, i spent most of the night and into the morning researching threads, looking at pics, and comparing what other people are using... and i think i went over kill on it.

Some people are using prokit and sportline on sedans and they look pretty good even though they aren't made for them like neuspeed sports. And they are more expensive... but i'm sure they are worth it. I'd really like to get the neuspeeds while they're on sale, cause with the strut bar i get free shipping... but i'd rather be safe now than sorry later.

And i still gotta pick which strut afterwards.... oh man
Think i'll be better off thinking about it with a clear head.