Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Air suspension questions..... :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seabass is an unknown quantity at this point
Air suspension questions..... :)

Hey everyone, ok I am mainly having a little bit of trouble with my air valves. Ok Can someone please explain to me the importance of the air lines in your system. Ok say I have a 3/8" thread valve with 1/2"fitting to the air lines then would it be different if it were with a 1/4" air line instead?(slower?) Also say I got a 1/4" thread valve with a 1/2" fitting to the air line, than how would that react? The reason im wondering all of this is because i have airbags and 1 of my valves are failing(down on back right, it loses pressure but very slowly) and im not sure if I want to replace that 1 valve or just downgrade all my valves to 1/4" so the bags are slower and I have more control. Thanks everyone.
-Seabass
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
are you sure its the valve that is losing pressure ? most likely it is a leak in the fitting causing the bag to deflate. valves very seldom break and if they do you just have to take them apart and replace the rubber diphram. what company valves do you have ?
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Its a parker 3/8" valve, and the back right dump valve is screwed up(f.b.s.s setup) it deflates but does so VERy slowly, so say i bring all my bags up all the way to full and pressed for all bags to go down then the b.r. would be a lot higher than all the other sides because that valve is deflating but doing it very slowly.

On the description of the valves it say " Parker 3/8 Thread 7/16 Orifice " for example, im guessing 3/8" is the threading into the valves, but what does 7/16 orifice mean, and what is the orifice(size of the opening of the valve?)? Thanks.

Last edited by Seabass; 04-23-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
the orfice size is the actual size of the open inside of the valve thats why theres a slight bulge on valves. you should be able to get replacments for your parkers they are the most popular company around.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cypher
the orfice size is the actual size of the open inside of the valve thats why theres a slight bulge on valves. you should be able to get replacments for your parkers they are the most popular company around.
Awesome, thanks. Ok 1 more question, the valves are 3/8" thread and 1/2" air lines, if i changed the lines to 1/4" o.d. line then would the bags go up/down slower? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2006
Banned

LowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to all
yes it would be considerably slower, however you might want to look into reducers instead of re-running all your air lines.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by LowLife
yes it would be considerably slower, however you might want to look into reducers instead of re-running all your air lines.
What are reducers?
Old 04-25-2006
Banned

LowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to all
They go in the end of your valves... basically reducing the size of your dumps... air can only travel as fast as the smallest orifice on your setup... you would still have the lift just as fast, it will just slow down your dump. << this would be the inexpensive quick fix.

Oooooooor you could, instead of re-running all your airlines, just get 4- 3/8" valves and swap those with the dumps that you already have. They're like 29 bux each $120 total. 10 minute swap, nice control, does nothing to the lift. As opposed to swapping airline, 50/100 ft = $39/78 (+ the cost of all new fittings), at least a few hours to run (also a pain in the ***), and it'll slow down your whole setup unless you're just planning on running smaller lines to the dumps.

*edit- if you're running 1/2" line on 3/8" valves, going down to 3/8" airline would be good enough... 1/4" would be hideously slow
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

They go in the end of your valves... basically reducing the size of your dumps... air can only travel as fast as the smallest orifice on your setup... you would still have the lift just as fast, it will just slow down your dump. << this would be the inexpensive quick fix.

Oooooooor you could, instead of re-running all your airlines, just get 4- 3/8" valves and swap those with the dumps that you already have. They're like 29 bux each $120 total. 10 minute swap, nice control, does nothing to the lift. As opposed to swapping airline, 50/100 ft = $39/78 (+ the cost of all new fittings), at least a few hours to run (also a pain in the ***), and it'll slow down your whole setup unless you're just planning on running smaller lines to the dumps.

*edit- if you're running 1/2" line on 3/8" valves, going down to 3/8" airline would be good enough... 1/4" would be hideously slow
Ok you said that getting new 3/8" valves then taht would slow the system down, but i have 3/8" thread valves already. Also you said that going down to 3/8" air line would slow down my system, the smallest orifice is the 3/8" valves, so if i ran 3/8" line wouldnt that just go the same speed since the valves are also 3/8"? thanks.
Old 04-25-2006
Banned

Originally Posted by Seabass
Ok you said that getting new 3/8" valves then taht would slow the system down, but i have 3/8" thread valves already. Also you said that going down to 3/8" air line would slow down my system, the smallest orifice is the 3/8" valves, so if i ran 3/8" line wouldnt that just go the same speed since the valves are also 3/8"? thanks.
My bad on the 3/8" valves statement, I had just gotten off work and for some reason was thinking you had 1/2", so scratch that.

About the 3/8" airline, you have to remember the measurements are taken as outside diameter. When you couple 3/8" valves with 1/2" airline, the point is to make the internal diameter of the airline as large as the valve itself. If you use the same size lines as the valves, then the internal diameter of the airline will be approx. 1/8" smaller, almost equivalent to 1/4" I.D.

Hope I cleared things up for ya
Old 04-26-2006
Registered!!

My bad on the 3/8" valves statement, I had just gotten off work and for some reason was thinking you had 1/2", so scratch that.

About the 3/8" airline, you have to remember the measurements are taken as outside diameter. When you couple 3/8" valves with 1/2" airline, the point is to make the internal diameter of the airline as large as the valve itself. If you use the same size lines as the valves, then the internal diameter of the airline will be approx. 1/8" smaller, almost equivalent to 1/4" I.D.

Hope I cleared things up for ya
Awesome, got it now, looks like its gonna be 3/8 line. Looks like im gonna have to get some new fittings, lol.
Old 04-26-2006
Banned

Glad I could help... that should be slow enough for you to control it well, while still having a somewhat fast system... too slow is teh gayness