Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

how is handling in cars with bent frames

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
how is handling in cars with bent frames

^^ post up. anyone have a car that was in a accident w/ a bent frame but is rebent? how does it handle differently than before?

i messed up in the title...

Last edited by Curiouz_G; 12-31-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-31-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
What do you plan to do with the car? If done right, you won't even notice it. Two years ago, I hit a light pole at 85 mphs. The front was bent to the left by 6 inches. Thats a huge amount. The rear was bent back and up by the curb.

I still take it to the track. No major problems. First time at the track after the incident was nerve wrecking since the car mourns at high lateral g's.

My chassis has never been the same in dimension. I just compensate it with different heights with my coilovers. My chasiss has twisted due to track days.

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
^^ post up. anyone have a car that was in a accident w/ a bent frame but is rebent? how does it handle differently than before?

i messed up in the title...
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
well just daily driving, no track. but i was just wondering if it tilts to a certain side or something like that afterwards b/c i just got into a accident.
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
more than likely it is gonna stay tilted a little bit, but like usafstud said, some coilovers should do the trick.
Old 01-01-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
someone hit me from the rear going 40+mph while i was stopped. did alot of frame damage but the shop was able to fix it enough that you could never tell unless you looked under there or in the trunk. it drives straight with good alignment and actually the only thing i had done was a wheel balance cause the weights got knocked off. alignment was fine. swaybar endlink broke too
Old 01-03-2006
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I got into an accident when my car was only a month old in Sep. of 2001 and my frame was bend towards the driver's side by a little bit. I had a bodyshop fix my car, but I think all they did was an alignment because you can still tell that the frame is bent. That and it doesn't hold an aligment too well. Granted, I did the alignment myself, but still... Even though the wheels are nearly parrallel and at 90 degrees to the ground, my car drives to the left. I have to steer slightly to the right to compensate. It's wearing out my tires more than usual.

I used to have these Kumho tires that had a seriously high treadwear rating, so I think I didn't notice because of this. Now I had winter tires and I ate through those in one season. You should consider getting it fixed by a good body shop. They put the car on something called a frame rack and they straighten the frame out to the right dimentions. I have this one book on our Civics that tells you what dimentions should be where (I.E. what the ditance is betwean all sorts of points for a proper and symetrical frame).

Anyway, it's a pain for me. I'm wondering whether I simply can not do an alignment well enough myself, or whether it's the frame that's the problem. I think I'll take it in for an alignment anyway and see what it behaves like after that. If it's still FUBAR, then at least I know what the problem is.