Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Megan Racing coilovers...update after 10 days, post 24

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Megan Racing coilovers...update after 10 days, post 24

Hey guys, as you may or may not know my Hayames crapped out - the driver's side strut assembly got seized up so bad I couldn't move it, and started making a horrible rattling noise over every bump, even after I tightened everything. So my sponsor Proparts came to my rescue and got me a set of the Megan Racing 32-way adjustable dampers.

I won't go into too much detail as to the features, I'll just copy and paste from the website:
Clicky
Megan Racing Coilover Damper Kits offer 32 Levels of damping force adjustment, full-height adjustment, and are matched with front and rear Pillow Ball upper mounts for camber correction.

Springs are made of SAE-9254 Steel, and are tested over 500,000 times by compression inspection. With deformation less than 5% and high strength sophisticated surface coating, spring durability was highly improved.

You will own full control of your vehicle reguardless if you are driving on a normal street, up to a mountain region, country road or formal race track.
Features:

- Spring Rates: 8kg Front and 10kg Rear

- 32 Levels of Adjustable Damper

- Pillow Ball Upper Mounts.

- Rubber Dust Covers.

- Adjustable Ride Height

- Aggressive Spring Rates

- Single-Cyliner Design

- Aluminum Brackets

32 Levels of Adjustment:

1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.

- All coilover damper kits come with 1 year manufacture-defect warranty.

- All Hardware is Included
Anyhoo as soon as I got them they felt way more solid (and lighter at the same time) than my Hayame setup. Quality was top notch for every piece. My one complaint was that the anodized red hats (you know I love red) looked pink right out the box. Oh well, it's not like you can SEE it when I'm driving. The pillow ball mount section and camber plates look well-thought-out, but I do have to note that the screws on the camber plate, when set from the factory, will NOT fit in the middle hole in the front strut mounting section, I had to undo one on the fly; thankfully Megan included a middle hole so that camber could be set with clearance for the adjustment screw. I probably have to post a pic to show what I mean, but hostedimage.com is being a bizznotch right now so pics will come later. These coilovers are made in Taiwan, evidently from the same factory as the Apexi N1's. That and the fact that these were getting a lot of love on ClubRSX were factors in my decision to try them, knockoff-sounding brand that Megan may be. Oh and I was told Megan is not a ripoff of the Mugen name, but a translation of a girl's name in Chinese or something. I can't speak or read Chinese so I can't verify this, but I thought I'd mention it, everyone seems to ask me.

For a full week (they came in Monday) I readied my coilovers by setting preload on the springs and greasing the pillow ball mounts, since I'd read that they were noisy right out the box. I installed them yesterday at azn_outlaw's house, with help from ClubEL's Black_EL, and my Raceworld/Vitalmotion buddies LDYKLLA, and Mandy, using a borrowed air compressor from Liro. The install was a SNAP, the guys can vouch that I was actually screaming in terror when the rear control arm bolts came out without a hitch...spoooky. Let this be a lesson to use anti-seize compound religiously. Only one semi-issue here, in that the rears would not slam right away, even though I lowered two fingers from the Hayame setup. But as soon as I started driving around the block they settled QUICK, and now I'm at an almost-perfect ride height. I'd love to drop another finger, but then I may rub with these 19z, so I'll have to wait and see. The locking mechanism for height is independent from that which determines preload on the springs, like the Hayames, but even this is higher-quality. The Megans can slam right down to around -3 and a bit, and appear to be able to raise the vehicle to ABOVE stock height. I'm tempted to go 4x4 this winter, ha ha. Speaking of winter, the coilovers are anodized, with aluminum brackets, so I will really have to take diligent care of them in winter, or simply not drive on them.

The Hayames had an inherent design flaw I was not aware of till recently, where the wheel would wiggle back and forth over bumps, causing toe to come out and chewing up rubber like gum in a hooker's mouth. The Megans do not exhibit this behaviour. Hell, even the Megan coilover wrenches are way more efficient, since they're more "hooked" and can catch on to the perch locks no problem at all, unlike the Hayame wrenches that rounded off perches AND wrench tips on the FIRST install. Stupid Hayame.

Oops, I nearly forgot to mention that since my Hayames required me to flip the tie rod upside down, I had to flip them back to original position for the Megan install. I thought "crap better sock away another 80 bones for an alignment Monday". Turns out I've got a little time. I will still need an alignment but visually the 4 tires are pretty close to OEM spec toe settings so it's not like they're going to shred in a week or anything. I can hold off, cause I want to install my xbrace before I align. And maybe drop another finger too. We'll see how low I can go when my catback goes on.

Now for the driving....I had them set to 23 front and 18 rear for damper (32 being softest, 0 being hardest) since I'm not tracking this car this year and I want to preserve some civility on the street what with the carputer in the back and the gf in the passenger seat...wait, no she likes stiff suspensions. OK just for the hard drive then. I didn't really get to open it up TOO much but round the block nice and easy I didn't hear a single clank or rattle, and the dampers absorbed bumps very nicely. And I was definitely more confident in the turns. On the way home I had to take it easy yet again what with my bwoy's air compressor in the backseat, but still....WOW. I'm gonna try playing with the damper settings and height after the catback and xbrace are installed this week, but overall a fantastic set of coilovers, easily competitive with Tein Basics (which are roughly the same price but not damper-adjustable and the spring load is not independent on height). I'm pretty optimistic that these will be huge competition for coilovers priced at twice the $$. Pics coming as soon as I host them somewhere, and I will be posting up an update once these are broken in.

So there we are, I've seen these for around $1350 and I think that is more than reasonable, these coilovers should be selling for $2000+ for the quality in my opinion.

Here are a few pics of the coilovers themselves. I didn't get to take any pics during install since my hands were FILTHY:

Pillowball!

Front:

Rear:

Yes I know my house is a mess. I never have time to clean it.

Screw you Hayame! You're going back to SPW in California, bitches!

Last edited by TeLLy; 07-20-2005 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Updated!
Old 07-10-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Thank you thank you thank you to Liro for the compressor, and Black_EL, azn_outlaw, and Ian and Mandy for all the help! Couldn't have done it without you guys!
Old 07-10-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
great review. looks like megan is heading on up with these.

does your vehicle have the 16mm front bolts like the 03+ civics do? if so, did these megan full coilovers fit in without a prob?

(this may be it for me so i dont have to mod anything)

ps:SELLING PRICE : $1099.95 per set.
Old 07-10-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

My car is an 02 so I'd assume it's got the smaller crash bolts.

Oh and the price I mentioned was in CANADIAN dollars. With the exchange rate, works out pretty close.
Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

gshady is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey all, this is pretty much my first post but Im no noobie as most would quickly jump to say. Well, i am a noob here i guess, so...Anyhow very nice setup you got there and I have to say i wish i would have waited a week to see this post. I just got a set of D2 coilovers for my 04 coupe and they aren't perch adjustable as the Megan looks to be. Took me awhile to realize they weren't which really sucks. So how do these ride? The D2's ride really well compared to any other lowered car ive ever owned but they make a little noise over big bumps due to the fact that you have to lower the spring perch to bring the car down (even though they advertise that they are height adjustable without changing the geometry of the shock and spring). Please let us know how they perform based on your experience from the Hayames.
Old 07-11-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Besides my rear sway bar (bushings need to be greased AGAIN) my car's suspension makes NO noise over bumps. I used to get all sorts of weird rattles and wheel shake on bumps with the Hayames, but they were my first coilovers and I thought that just came with the territory. But these Megans are super-quiet, and I put 350+ km on them these past couple days.

Even without having been fine-tuned for damping and the wheels not yet aligned, these coilovers are just out of Hayame's league. And I thought I was just fine with those things.

More updates once I've unloaded all the crap from my car and taken it on some nice windy roads. After an alignment tomorrow morning before work since the condo management decided to sent their workers at 8am, making me wake up 2 hours early.
Old 07-11-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
hmm ... I may just go with the Megans ... I was considering JIC's or Tein Flex's ... but with an awesome price ... maybe people don't give them enough credit?
Old 07-11-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

I'm getting my alignment in 40 minutes, so after I've REALLY gotten to play around with them I'll be posting yet another update.
Old 07-11-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
The screws on the camber plate usually never come to fit through the hole because it is a generic part that can fit on most cars and the strut holes are different for every car. Like you said, they give you other holes to move the camber plate around. In addition, they seem like they are a twin tube design (ie. top adjusting). The reason other coils (flex, endless, JIC) are more expensive (besides the name) is the use of a monotube design which is supposed to be superior to a twin tube design .

Make sure the springs are just barely tight between the lock nut and the top. That way you will have full travel. Don't use the spring to lower or raise the car.
Old 07-11-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Agreed ^^

The Megans are actually advertised as monotubes. And like the Hayames, you really do need to preload the springs with the top two perch locks then use only the lowest one to lock after turning the threaded shock body to adjust height.

The alignment shop took WAYYYY too long to do my alignment (almost 3 hours, the tech was monkeying with the camber plate contrary to my request). So I did get to really open up with these things since I left the shop 30 minutes after my shift started at work, ha ha. I was even so hasty that I missed a monster dip in the road, which led to a disconcerting thump, which while gutwrenching, was not as bad-sounding as my Hayames. I had to do a little weaving on the way to the highway due to construction, and these things really stuck. I'm sure my xbrace helped a little, but I'm still in awe and a bit mad that I thought the ride on my Hayames was "pretty good". Screw those piles of garbage, I'm officially a Megan man! Now I wonder if they'll give me some free swag in exchange for this testimonial.
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
hmmm...and my rear shocks just crapped out on me (damn oem crap units....struts people..struts..)......I was seriously considering airbags for the on the fly adjustability...but these sound like they may be the way to go.

how long did the install take, and i'm assuming you were using hand tools??
Old 07-11-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

3 hours, and I used air tools borrowed from Liro.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

legacyse is an unknown quantity at this point
hey nice coilover.
what's the spring rates for those?
Old 07-12-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

8 front 10 rear.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

RobearRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice thread!

If any memebrs need a set, let me know! I can ship out same day!
www.robearracing.com
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
maybe in a couple months...i have to save right now..moving to NC in two weeks or so....
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

Telly....did the shock towers require any mods for the upper mounts so you'd have full adjustability??...kinda curious now...
Old 07-13-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Nope, all I had to do was move one of those allen bolts on the camber plate. The Megans even came with their own nuts for the upper mounts.
Old 07-13-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
wow Megan racing is comming up in the game with some quality parts!!! go MEgan!
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

tamazoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn! They look nice! Look almost exactly like my Tein Flex!(except for the color) I should've waited before I bought mine. Paid like 3 times more too!
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

gc30 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you guys want, I know www.beperformance.com sells them in the GTA area
I have them on my 04 CIvic and they're GREAT!!!!
Old 07-15-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Yep, and BE sells em pretty cheap too.
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
some great info, thanks
Old 07-20-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Update!

Been driving on these for a week and a bit, and I stiffened the shocks by 3 clicks all around, making them 15 front and 18 rear (32 being hardest, 0 being softest). So I'm still comfortable on the street. I've really been pushing my car around since the tools and fragile stuff have finally been cleared out my back seat, nothing to throw around back there anymore. Still solid as a rock, the polyurethane rear sway bar bushings are the only components that complain in hard turns or bumps, it's dead-quiet compared to my old Hayames, which would click and bang and creak if the suspension travelled at ALL. I'm still very satisfied with these coilovers, but I wish I'd dropped it a little more before going in for the alignment. I'm sorely tempted to just SLAM it for Darknights this weekend. People on ClubRSX say the front doesn't go all the way down but I've got a good amount of thread left up front, and my fender is sitting right on top of my 215/35/19 tires. I highly recommend these coilovers to anyone looking for performance at a decent price.

Here are a couple of pics of how ELena is sitting right now, she's got at least an inch left on the rears and about 3/4" (maybe more) up front, so I really can slam 'er on 19z:

Last edited by TeLLy; 07-20-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TeLLy
Update!

Been driving on these for a week and a bit, and I stiffened the shocks by 3 clicks all around, making them 15 front and 18 rear (32 being hardest, 0 being softest). So I'm still comfortable on the street. I've really been pushing my car around since the tools and fragile stuff have finally been cleared out my back seat, nothing to throw around back there anymore. Still solid as a rock, the polyurethane rear sway bar bushings are the only components that complain in hard turns or bumps, it's dead-quiet compared to my old Hayames, which would click and bang and creak if the suspension travelled at ALL. I'm still very satisfied with these coilovers, but I wish I'd dropped it a little more before going in for the alignment. I'm sorely tempted to just SLAM it for Darknights this weekend. People on ClubRSX say the front doesn't go all the way down but I've got a good amount of thread left up front, and my fender is sitting right on top of my 215/35/19 tires. I highly recommend these coilovers to anyone looking for performance at a decent price.

Here are a couple of pics of how ELena is sitting right now, she's got at least an inch left on the rears and about 3/4" (maybe more) up front, so I really can slam 'er on 19z:

Good job man...slamming is all relative by the wheels/tires you have. Even though you look lower, my car is lower than yours because of my 15s. Just keep playing around with them...
Old 07-20-2005
Registered!!

I have an 04 and yeah my mechanic has to drill the hole a little bigger in order to fit (on the suspension) but he reassured me it won't damage anything. It's been on all summer and yes other than the squeaks from my rear sways they're great!
Old 07-20-2005
Registered!!

nice car telly!
Old 07-21-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2005
Let's see if I know the ledge

tricky is on a distinguished road
so is $1349.00CDN considered cheap at beperformance.com, seems kinda high for a start-up company, although i do have their "hi-flow cat" and that was pretty cheap...
Old 07-21-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

By "kinda high for a startup company" do you mean BE or Megan? Megan's been around for a little bit now, and they do have a reputation for knockoffs as well as some of their own products, but I think these coils just might bump their rep up a little.

IMO these coilovers should cost more than they do now; I mean, it's a startup company and all, but Megan has taken aim squarely at Tein, D2, and pretty much all the "street" coilover sets out there. Granted, Megan's site seems to label these coilovers "racing spec", a designation my car is not prepared to test, but I think 1350 for a set of streetable coilovers with tons of features is a great deal. My mind might change, like it did with the Hayames, but if these coilovers still handle the same and don't seize up after this winter, then I've got myself a bargain. As far as build quality, they felt real solid right out of the box, and since installation (3 hours, which is fast for me) and alignment, I've started yelling "yee haaaaaa" around corners again, something I'd forgotten how to do since my Hayames started acting up. I've ridden in Civics with coilovers that cost twice as much, and my ***, which is an excellent skidpad and dyno all rolled into one (LOL), likes the Megans just as much as Tein SS. My *** also likes spankings and 2-ply toilet tissue.

I'm not sure if you're in the market for coilovers, but anytime after Darknights you're more than welcome to come for a ride to see what you think. I'm pretty sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.