Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

how to tell if your sway bar isn't installed backwards during installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperSlowEL is an unknown quantity at this point
how to tell if your sway bar isn't installed backwards during installation

hi all,

lookin forward to putting on my rsx-s 19mm sway bar. Just wondering, is there a way to ensure that my sway bar is not put backwards when installing? Should I use the way the stock sway bar on the EX is installed and reference it for the way the rsx-s bar is installed?

I tried to test fit the bar today and I see that the U shape of the middle part of the 19mm sway bar will be pointed backwards (leaving an open space between the bar and the chassis) where as the stock EX bar is pointing upwards touching the chassis. Is this expected? Or is the pointing backward orientation and indication of wrong orientation?

Would it be also possible to for me to see some pics of the final installed sway bar.

Thanks for your kindness and time in advance,
Old 03-06-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
It should look just like the one you are taking off. The arms have to go up and over the control arms...look in the member's rides.
Old 03-06-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
It only fits one way, you'll never get it into the subframe if you install it backwards. The side with more bends in it is the right side of the bar. Just pull the old one straight out and look at it. Match the orientation of the bar profiles and put the new one in.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

thanks everyone

how do i tell if it's upside down? I searched the forums and found there's many cases where members installed the bar upside down. thanks again!
Old 03-06-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
yeah I installed mine upside down. It will fit but then it will hit the control arms. The arms are supposed to go up and over not in then up. Pull the old one off lay it on the ground right behind the car in the way you took it off.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

are you referring to the arms of the sway bar or the control arms?

i'm still a little confused.... which part is upside down on the sway bar? I see that it can only go in one way since the two ends of the sway bar are bent differently but how can i make the sway bar go upside down?
Old 03-06-2005

well when the car is jacked up the control arms are out of the way so it will actually fit either way. When you lower it down, however, the control arms hit the sway bar if on the wrong way. The arms of the sway bar go up and over. Search in the members rides for the word sway and numerous pics will show up.

Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

thanks alot for your help robbclark!
Old 03-06-2005
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
everything will not bolt up if its backward
Old 03-06-2005

Originally Posted by Civic_Racer9
everything will not bolt up if its backward
dude, yes it will. I put it on backwards and so have others. It will bolt up because the endlinks move around.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
i installed mine backwards, upside-down and inside-out.

boo-ya english.
Old 03-06-2005
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed my backwards... made a knocking sound when i went over bumps.
Old 03-07-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
I took the old one off and layed the new one beside it to take a picture, and somehow it was still on upsidedown. I think it was those Honda gremlins that flipped it.

Here's a pic of how it should look. You can see it needs to hump up over the control arms. YOu'll know it's upsidedown if it clunks everytime you hit a bump. Also look at the bars location in refernce to the control arm when you take the jack down. If it touches anything it's upsidedown...
Old 03-07-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by robbclark1
yeah I installed mine upside down. It will fit but then it will hit the control arms. The arms are supposed to go up and over not in then up. Pull the old one off lay it on the ground right behind the car in the way you took it off.
do that and you wont have a problem.
Old 03-10-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
So SuperSlowEL, is it on yet?