Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Need help figuring out what to do/buy?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Need help figuring out what to do/buy?!

Sorry to make a new thread since there are a billion of these guys but I don't know where to start when it comes to suspension. My only suspersion book I have is from '86 so its as old as me(but still extremly helpful).

Photochop with about 1/2 inch drop..so basically what it will look like no drop:
also excuse the crappy job on the headlights i took the pic before i cleared.

Anyway I have an 01 LX sedan, no performance/suspersion mods, and this april Ill be getting those nice split 7 spoke HFP wheels as a birthday gift. I will be putting toyo Proxes 4's on the wheels too.

Right now Im torn between doing something fun like lambo doors or lowering the car. Im pretty sure the car will look OK w/o a drop cause of the 55,0000 miles on the shocks and the subs/dynamat in the trunk pushing everything down a little. I dont want to put just springs on cause that day the shocks will blow due to age and ill be SOL on $600 to replace them.
So... what would you recommend...Tokiko/Koni/Tein shocks and stock springs, Tokiko/Koni/Tein shocks and lowering springs, coilover system, or let it go. I wont be doing anything for a while but I really want to get a feel for what I will need to save up for my car. Another thing I dont want is a neg camber and I cant afford lowering + camber kit ( college)
Im leaning toward nothing to save me so so much money in the end..but any opinions of cheap options other than cutting the springs like a ricer? Thanks guys and sorry for not getting this on my own.
Old 03-03-2005
TURTLEonK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
Dont do lambo doors if your car is still stock (appearance wise). If you have the money, getting a full coilover kit is always nice but its not necessary. Do you plan on tracking your car at all? If not, your car is probably just a daily driver so I would suggest getting something like tokico hp blues because they are not too expensive. The amount you lower is upto you really.. just look at the suspension drop picture post that is stickied to get an idea of what you want.

good luck! i'm sure other members can give u better info
Old 03-03-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
F*** lambo doors, they're useless.
For a low budget safe drop, Tokicos and Pro-kits. It'll also keep your alignment close enough to spec that you shouldn't need to buy camber kits if you can live with a little negative camber (nothing detrimental to tire life).

If you just want to keep it from flopping around, then just put in a set of Tokicos and leave the stock springs, but the car will definately look better with a little bit of a drop.
Old 03-03-2005

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I wont track..this is my daily driver...and i mean like at least 800-1400 miles per month. So i drive alot and dont want to be too low and dont want to go from stock. I am wondering if its worth it. I will just wait till they are on and go from there I guess.
As for body being stock...i changed to altezza grill..and i have eyelids for the summer and painted hood molding. Also I have removed all pinstriping and emblems other than rear H. I will be adding HFP emblems though.
but close to stock.
I dont know cause the paint is pretty bad on the car and I am really wanting to get it sprayed over. So uncle sam isnt gunna pay for new suspension and paint. not when hes only giving me like 5-7 hundred. This is where most of the money i will have for this is coming from too. So I am just gunna wait it out. thanks for the replies though.
Old 03-03-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
It is a little pricey, but i have tein ss and i love them. Maybe if you are on a budget, just get the basics.

I can give you a ride sometime to show you how they feel.
Old 03-03-2005
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
if youre daily driving it you should get the tein basics
if not get a good shock and spring combo.

i just ordered a set of KYB AGX with gold lines.

make sure if youre getting springs that they are made for a sedan

i had the stechs, they fit but they sag real bad in the rear.

Last edited by dannn; 03-03-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2005
Go Pistons!

flipbagz is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ make a review for goldlines/agx pls
Old 03-03-2005

dayam $925 for tein basics from dezod. thats so much plus how much to get them installed since I am sick of tearing my car apart?
Wow thats very pricy. Ill stay stock till I see how they look and maybe by some stroke of luck my car will sag a tiny bit more by then
:crossedfingers:
Old 03-03-2005
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by flipbagz
^^ make a review for goldlines/agx pls
for sure
i cant wait til i get them on
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

jwsisme is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice choice of wheels, looks sweet.
Old 03-04-2005

Thanks cant wait to get them on for real.
Old 03-04-2005
Registered!!

WhiteHalf is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly, best bet ($$$ wise) .. would be Tokiko HP (blues) + Neuspeed Sport spring.

The neuspeed sport drop is 1.5f/1.75r ... The front camber is perfect and the back is just slightly cambered in ... but I've been on them for the last year ... and when I took off my tires (215/40ZR/18) there was no inner wear. Again its up to you ... but a rear camber kit is like $200 CDN ... so in USD thats like free or something.

A coilover setup is more pricey ... but is the entire shot, made to fit perfectly. I dunno if it snows in PA ... but here where I live it does ... So from what I've heard despite them being rustproof ... I've heard you have to keep them greased up well or dirt and grit gets into the threading .. and causes problems come spring time.

A prokit will be ok ... but IMO you'll still have a large gap, and the stance will look off when putting up a 17" rim/18" rim with a thin profiled tire ... but then again thats just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2005
Registered!!

The reason I'd also choose Neuspeed is because they didnt have the rear sag problem associated with Goldlines (even though goldlines are slightly cheaper) ... but they are also not as pricey as Eibachs ...

Good quality, decent price ...

and for those springs you'll only need the 2 rear camber kit ... do it all at the same time to save the wheel alignment fee's/labour.
Old 03-04-2005

Originally Posted by WhiteHalf
Honestly, best bet ($$$ wise) .. would be Tokiko HP (blues) + Neuspeed Sport spring.

The neuspeed sport drop is 1.5f/1.75r ... The front camber is perfect and the back is just slightly cambered in ... but I've been on them for the last year ... and when I took off my tires (215/40ZR/18) there was no inner wear. Again its up to you ... but a rear camber kit is like $200 CDN ... so in USD thats like free or something.

A coilover setup is more pricey ... but is the entire shot, made to fit perfectly. I dunno if it snows in PA ... but here where I live it does ... So from what I've heard despite them being rustproof ... I've heard you have to keep them greased up well or dirt and grit gets into the threading .. and causes problems come spring time.

A prokit will be ok ... but IMO you'll still have a large gap, and the stance will look off when putting up a 17" rim/18" rim with a thin profiled tire ... but then again thats just my opinion.

itll be only 16" wheels as in the pic so I can get away with a LITTLE more gap than usual. Like I said I need to see them on first cause as it is I might think it looks ok stock height so we will see then. I gotta get back to painting my grill though!
Old 03-05-2005
Registered!!

Ohh man ... riding stock height on rims, even 16" is not that clean (unless you dont mind taking the SUV/"going off roading" jokes).

I mean everyone is different, if you like it that is what counts.
Old 03-05-2005

I dunno i was looking today my car next to someone's 7th gen (at supermarket) and my rear is ALOT lower after the extra 200 pounds of subs, box, mdf, and dynamat layers. But front looks too high. Like i said i will wait to see how it looks and go from there. if nothing else At least ill get to see it stock height before jumping into a costly descision when money is tight already!
Old 03-05-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by diskreet
I will be adding HFP emblems though.
please, don't. that's the equivalent, IMO, to adding type-r badges, or even worse, GT-R badges to your car. it's just rice if it didn't come with the car.
Old 03-05-2005

Originally Posted by infinite012
please, don't. that's the equivalent, IMO, to adding type-r badges, or even worse, GT-R badges to your car. it's just rice if it didn't come with the car.
...The wheels are HFP wheels. thought it would be ok cause of that.
am i wrong people?
Old 03-06-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
if you got civic type-r wheels, would you be putting type-r badges on your car?