Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Where's the RSX rear sway bar DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Where's the RSX rear sway bar DIY?

There was one at xanja.com or something but it's down now. I'm asking for gearbox cuz I told him I would send him a link but I can't find it

Here's one for the Progress bar but that one talks about drilling holes and stuff, too. Is there one for just swapping the sway bars?
Old 11-24-2004
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
yeah i got a rsx-s rear swa bar with bushings and endlinks, but i cant figure out how to install them? what else do i need help us oh holy one.
Old 11-24-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
1) Jack up the rear of the car (put it in gear if you've got a 5-speed), don't forget to block off the front tires just in case. Spray the endlink bolts and brackets with a little WD-40 or Liquid Wrench to help your loosening efforts.
2) The endlinks are held on by a 14mm nut over a bolt that has a slot for a 5mm Allen wrench opening. Looks almost like the top of the front strut assembly if you need a reference. Stick a 14mm wrench onto that nut and use a 5mm Allen wrench in that slot to hold the bolt in place otherwise it'll just spin with the nut. Took me a while to figure that one out.
3) Once the nut is off, just maneuver the endlink off the end of the sway bar, repeat for the other side.
4) The brackets that hold the sway bar to the subframe are 12 or 14mm nuts (I forget, but I think it's 12). Remove them, and the sway bar is now off. Remember how it looked when it was on, so you can match that with the new bar.
5) Remove the brackets from the bushings, you will reuse them. Laugh at your puny stock sway bar, then throw it at someone you don't like.
6) Put the RSX bushings on the new sway bar (I greased mine with lithium grease first, purely optional) then the brackets on top of them. Bolt to the subframe but don't tighten yet, you may need a little play when installing the endlinks.
7) Put the endlink bolts back through the corresponding holes in the sway bar then reattach the 14mm nut on top and tighten down. I had to use the 5mm Allen wrench to hold the middle part of the bolt in place while tightening.
8) Tighten the brackets, I forget the torque setting, so I just tightened them till good and snug.
9) Lower the car, check to make sure nothing is hitting the sway bar, like the lower control arms. If they ARE hitting, either you have installed the sway bar upside down or you have no springs or shocks installed.
10) Once all is good and tight, a nice easy test drive will show you how much better the car feels. Point and laugh at people driving Cavaliers and Sunfires.
11) Wash your dirty greasy hands off, you filthy animal.
Old 11-24-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
^^^ rofl. nicely done sir.

took me a while to figure out #2 also.
Old 11-24-2004
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
I'm doing this on friday or on the weekend! thanks telly! u da MAN! a really funny one at that hahaha.. =]
Old 11-24-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Seth took it down from his website. So it isn't there anymore.
Old 11-24-2004
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TeLLy
1) Jack up the rear of the car (put it in gear if you've got a 5-speed), don't forget to block off the front tires just in case. Spray the endlink bolts and brackets with a little WD-40 or Liquid Wrench to help your loosening efforts.
2) The endlinks are held on by a 14mm nut over a bolt that has a slot for a 5mm Allen wrench opening. Looks almost like the top of the front strut assembly if you need a reference. Stick a 14mm wrench onto that nut and use a 5mm Allen wrench in that slot to hold the bolt in place otherwise it'll just spin with the nut. Took me a while to figure that one out.
3) Once the nut is off, just maneuver the endlink off the end of the sway bar, repeat for the other side.
4) The brackets that hold the sway bar to the subframe are 12 or 14mm nuts (I forget, but I think it's 12). Remove them, and the sway bar is now off. Remember how it looked when it was on, so you can match that with the new bar.
5) Remove the brackets from the bushings, you will reuse them. Laugh at your puny stock sway bar, then throw it at someone you don't like.
6) Put the RSX bushings on the new sway bar (I greased mine with lithium grease first, purely optional) then the brackets on top of them. Bolt to the subframe but don't tighten yet, you may need a little play when installing the endlinks.
7) Put the endlink bolts back through the corresponding holes in the sway bar then reattach the 14mm nut on top and tighten down. I had to use the 5mm Allen wrench to hold the middle part of the bolt in place while tightening.
8) Tighten the brackets, I forget the torque setting, so I just tightened them till good and snug.
9) Lower the car, check to make sure nothing is hitting the sway bar, like the lower control arms. If they ARE hitting, either you have installed the sway bar upside down or you have no springs or shocks installed.
10) Once all is good and tight, a nice easy test drive will show you how much better the car feels. Point and laugh at people driving Cavaliers and Sunfires.
11) Wash your dirty greasy hands off, you filthy animal.
i dont have a exhisting sway bar. what would i need. I have the rsx-s rear sway bar with the bushings and endlinks. i believe all i need is to drill a hole for the brackets and i dont have brackets where can i get them?
Old 11-24-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Well, you'd have to drill a hole AND somehow thread it to accept the bolts that will hold the brackets on. Try to see if you can get your hands on the Neuspeed or Progress mounting plate....
Old 11-24-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Install it following Grey DIY's. I know Grey's DIY is for the progress bar, but it should be pretty much the same only you don't need to mount the tie bar. You have the mounting points on your frame as well for the endlinks to fit to on your civic.
Old 11-24-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Yes, but you'll need to find a way to fasten the bolts to the subframe - the Progress bar comes with those little "nutsert" things....
Old 11-24-2004

^^^^^^^^^^^Oh yeah I hear you I remember now. Thats why Grey had the addiotnal mounting kit(he called it) for the cars that didn't come with the rear sway bar from the factory.
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

Shlomo is an unknown quantity at this point
also to add to telly's DIY, when i installed the RSX bar i stripped the allen key hole on one of the endlinks. So instead of using an allen key i used a pair of vise grips/pliers to grab a hold of a washer that is attached between the joint of the endlink and the bolt that needs to come off. If i would have known about this alternative from the start i would have done it first.
Old 11-24-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

I posted up a little while ago about how I had to do a similar thing...it was a funny story - I reposted it very recently too.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

CdKoInU is an unknown quantity at this point
after you guys installed da bar, did you guys hear a popping noise after?
Old 12-03-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CdKoInU
after you guys installed da bar, did you guys hear a popping noise after?
No noise, make sure you didn't put it upside down.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

its not upsided down
Old 12-03-2004

^^^^^^^ You sure check the progress images. Cause I put mine on upsidedown the first time.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

i'm sure... already put it upside down da first time....
Old 12-04-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Make sure your endlinks are bolted on nice and tight. And make sure they're not broken.
Old 09-26-2007
Registered!!

mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about
Re: Where's the RSX rear sway bar DIY?

where can i get rsx-s sway bar? and how much..
Old 09-26-2007
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrbanhbao
where can i get rsx-s sway bar? and how much..

Walk to your nearest Acura Dealership and plop down $60 for the bar and maybe $15 for the bushings.
Old 09-26-2007
Registered!!

mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Walk to your nearest Acura Dealership and plop down $60 for the bar and maybe $15 for the bushings.

what size (mm) do you suggest ? or anyone else..
Old 09-26-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they only come in one size-stock
Old 09-26-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

so heres the freaking diy from Telly... doh! ok well...this weekend its finally getting on.. woohoo..slow mods ftw!
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

Em2_4life is an unknown quantity at this point

actually the bar cost 90 for just the bar and over 50 for the bushings and endlinks anyone have one forsale trade for front type s sway cuz i got the front one sent to me instead of rear