Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Squeaking noise on 04 civic after Tein SS install

Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thesparkleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Squeaking noise on 04 civic after Tein SS install

I installed my new Tein SS suspension on my 04 Civic EX (SI in Canada) and all went pretty good until I took it for the test drive. A horrible squeaking noise was coming from the rear passager side. So, I took off the wheel and it seemed like the dust cover was not aligned properly. So, I moved it back into position, and put it back together. After a test run, that seemed to do the trick on the right side. But now I am hearing the same sound, only quieter coming from the left side. It does it most when you put pressure on the rear, rather that drive it. When you get in and out, it starts to squeak. Does anyone know weather this is common or not? Can I use so WD40 or something near the dust cover to try and eliminate this? Anyone have any other tips I could try. I am not very impressed right now as this suspension was quite expensive. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

vtecpowersumo is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problem, i just got an exatoknife and took that dust cover off...

got rid of all noises
Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

thesparkleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice. Someone else mentioned that to me as well. I must admit I am a bit leary of just cutting them off. Maybe I will just remove them. What is the purpose of the dust cover and what will be affected by removing them?
Old 07-26-2004
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
a dust cover just protects the shock from dirt and stuff. but yeah thats probably whats causing the noise. you dont HAVE to have it but its recommended you keep it. maybe just put grease around it or something. not wd-40, that washes off and i heard it eats rubber up anyways
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

Honda_Gay is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Squeaking noise on 04 civic after Tein SS install

This is to share a remedy on a common complain of the squeaky noise for the Tein SS suspension. I'm not sure if the problem is similar but use this only as a reference. I had this squeaky noise from the rear for couple of months, getting from bad to worse. The squeak will come on whenever my car go over a pothole or a hump, or any uneven undulations. I tried checking my Honda suspension bushing, oiling the joints and also inserting the rubber sleaves on the springs but to no avail. Finally, got the remedy for the irritating squeaks. The workshop remove the whole rear damper/spring assembly, and insert a thin rubber sheet between the spring and the damper (the cap that holds the spring in place). After reinstallation, we tested on some uneven undulations (and * touch wood) the noise is gone. No more squeaks ! Good luck!!!
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

Ti71 is an unknown quantity at this point

like others have said, trim the dust cover about 2.5 inches and it'll go away (I know because I had the same issues with my coilovers)
Old 07-25-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

i had the same problem, trim down the dust cover with a blade. 5 min. fix that works like a charm.
Old 07-25-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

hey skip you're pretty much slammed on your teins right?
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

Yeah trim the dust cover, but do not remove it completely. It prevents dirt from destroying the seals. I had a rip in mine that I was unaware of, and my struts blew. Could have been totally un-related but I am sure it didn't help.
Old 07-25-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by armieo
hey skip you're pretty much slammed on your teins right?
not quite, i have about a finger gap all around.