Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Cheapest way to reduce body roll?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flamike is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cheapest way to reduce body roll?

Heya,

I have an 04 Civic EX Coupe, The suspension is all stock, I don't want to lower the car yet or anything like that, but I wanted to know what would be the cheapest way to cut down on some of the stock body roll this car has?

I was looking at strut bars online but I read in the Suspension FAQ they only reduce body flex.

Al the strut bars I've been looking at claim to reduce body roll and strengthen body on turns.

What is correct and what should I get to improve body roll?

YES I'm a noob to all this
Old 06-06-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
are you trying to improve the cars handling? Because Body roll isnt really the primary thing you should be looking at if you are trying to make the car handle well.

basically there are 3 things you can change to reduce body roll (If thats all you want)

1. Springs, get a set of Higher spring rates.
2. Lower the car, there is a such a thing as too low though
3. Get larger anti-roll bars.

Strut bars, are simply chassis reinforcements and will not reduce body roll. Body Flex Yes, Body Roll no.

For cheep, I'd look at anti roll bars. You've got an 04, its got a 16mm front bar.... The 01 and 02 Coupes had a 25.4mm front bar, should run about 80$, for the rear, theres the RSX's 19mm rear bar. that should get rid of a good amount of body roll, but the car is still going to want to understeer. (I had my car set up like that for a while so I konw how it handles)

Me, I have an 01 EX, and in tuning my car, I droped the front 25.4mm bar down to the 16mm front bar you have now, and I upgraded the rear 13mm bar to a 19mm bar. car handles MUCH better then it use to, but it still has quite abit of body roll. and to help offset that, I Run a little extra negitive camber.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 06-06-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Right on, put in a bigger rear sway bar and you'll notice a difference. I've heard of people using a type R 22mm rear sway bar but that seems to stiff for everyday driving
Old 06-06-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
I think the front is supposed to be smaller than stock and the rear is supposed to be larger than stock to help reduce roll. I have a 19mm on the rear and the stock 25mm front lowered on b&gs with f and r strut braces and I still get some roll. If you rode on -2 degrees camber youd have no roll, and also no tires. Ive done this, don't try it.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got the progress front (27mm) and rear (22mm) and i enjoy the lack of body roll. I understeer more now with the larger front bar (stock was 25.4) but i enjoy the tight feeling the car has through corners. If you're looking to do it for cheap i'd recommend an rsx 19mm bar with the 25.4mm 01,02 stock bar
Old 06-07-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
get a X-brace, your front end will become so stiff,

i love the way my car handles

i got the
neuspeed front strut
neuspeed X-brace
Cusco rear upper strut
progress front and rear sways
Tein SS dampers
grey's endlinks

i admit its a little hard for daily driving but, its worth it, if you have spirited daily driving...
Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

Crackhead79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Chck my setup in my profile or my ride, I hav ealmost no body roll and I do AutoX - I STICK to the freakin road!!! hit me up...
Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get a rear Progress bar and you will be happy.
Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

Smokeman909 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just install a Stock 2002 Ep3 rear sway bar. It is 15 mm instead of my 2k2 13mm. I could say that there is not obvious improvement, but I enjoyed installing it, it was pretty easy.
Old 06-07-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
I have an X-brace, RSX-S rear bar, front stock bar, and Neuspeed front strut bar. I like the way my car drives and handles so far, and it didn't cost much. I don't push my car that hard, so I have not done anything else. But the improvement from just the bars above makes driving MUCH better.
Old 06-07-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Best mod: RSX rear sway bar! $85 with bushings and bolts. I feel it's immediately noticable, even under normal driving. Neuspeed and Progess will run about $200 and up. The cheapest way is the RSX bar. To totally eliminate body roll, it will cost WAY too much. Start with the RSX bar and go from there. Acura Carland
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

bo0oost is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup, sway bar!
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

civicfrenchie is an unknown quantity at this point
better tires because the first thing that flex is our soft sidewalls on shitty firestone...after i agree sway bars(rear one cause your front one is big enough) with a bigger rear sway bar your will be more neutral...less understeer...but keep in mind that stiffers springs will get rid of flex in your low oem springrate coils....

Last edited by civicfrenchie; 06-08-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2004
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor

Xenin is an unknown quantity at this point
bolt training wheels to the side of your car. no body roll.
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

blackdc5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
2. Lower the car, there is a such a thing as too low though
Have you found any information about "too low" on the MacStruts? Certain issues to deal w/ when lowering the MacStruts on the EM2/EP3/DC5 are bumpsteer, and camber loss (that's why our suspensions yearn for a lot of negative camber up front).

Bumpsteer seems to come alive when lowered on stock shocks as this raises the angle of the steering arms even at static height. All the more the angle increases during compression/decompression...causing unexpected toe angles.

I am trying to look for information however about the ride height. On previous Hondas, the concern for "too low" was shock stroke. I am wondering what the issue is for the MacStruts. Does anyone know?
Old 06-09-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Shock stroke is a big concern, but there is also the concern of moving the Roll Center to the point where Loweing the car actually increases weight transfer rather then Decreasing it. Where that is, i'm not sure. as far as I konw no one has gotten out the level and measured the suspension to calculate it.

I have found this site to be Invaluable though.

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...ch_detail.html
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough
Re: Cheapest way to reduce body roll?

Originally Posted by half_n_half17
I've got the progress front (27mm) and rear (22mm) and i enjoy the lack of body roll. I understeer more now with the larger front bar (stock was 25.4) but i enjoy the tight feeling the car has through corners. If you're looking to do it for cheap i'd recommend an rsx 19mm bar with the 25.4mm 01,02 stock bar
Does that mean only the 01 and 02 coupe civic have bigger sway bars?
Why would they do that?
Old 07-14-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Thaik
Does that mean only the 01 and 02 coupe civic have bigger sway bars?
Why would they do that?
The 01 has the biggest front sway bar. 02-05 have the same sized front.

01-02 ex has a rear sway bar
01-02 lx/dx has NO rear sway
03-05 ex/lx/vp have rear sway
Old 07-14-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

It's already been mentioned here numerous times, but I'd like to re-emphasize the RSX-S rear sway bar. I have one (21mm) on my 05 and it is an unbelievable improvement and reduction in body roll. Just be cautious, because the sway bar will put much more stress on other suspension parts, especially end links. And it's cheap too! The cheapest way to get one is to dig around on an RSX Forum and look for part-outs. I found mine from an RSX-S for only $60 shipped. Great bang-for-the-buck upgrade!