Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004
The Standard One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)

Yes˛ I'm back with another review, this time D2 Racing Coilovers picked up from www.UrbanImport.com for $850 shipped. After doing a lot of research on them they seemed really promising so I decided to upgrade from my Hayames. A couple of friends heard about them and said they were good and also that they use it a lot in the DTM world. Ok˛ get to the good stuff..

What pretty much sold me...
-36 WAY ADJUSTABLE DAMPENING at only $850.
-Pillowball mounts (faster response in handling)
-Camber plates(Probably wont adjust it but looks pretty )

It also comes with smaller other things.
-Slotted hole so that you can adjust the camber up front without buying a camber kit.
-"Spring Isolators" to stop unecessary noises you get with a lot of coilovers. Its not even a small peice of plastic, its an actual THICK peice of rubber.
-Beefier steering arm. Some people were afraid the Hayame's steering arm was too weak(I thought it was strong enough) but either way now you wont have to worry.

Installation, its not as easy as installing hayames but its still fairly easy as long as you know what your doing.
Front:
Its pretty much a direct swap. No need to buy 01 uppermount or anything because it already comes with them. Only thing is the brake line bracket isnt welded on. They included this Long metal peice, You have to bend it and drill a hole in it and attach it to the lower "camber bolt". It wasnt hard at all. Well I got lazy and i was missing the nut for it anyways so i just zip-tied it to the thing and works just fine.
Rear:
It doesnt come with uppermount this time around but ya if you know what your doing, no problem. Just take your old struts, take off the top bolt(eh dont worry, you dont really need a spring compresser. It pops off slightly but it doesnt shoot the nut all over the place as you'd think). Replace the two stock rubber bushings found on the top of the top mount and replace it with the ones d2 provides you with. Tighten the top nut and... MAKE SURE TO PUT THE ADJUSTMENT ***** ON BEFORE you put them on. I had to learn the hard way and take one side off again. Walla your done...

How it rides: It rides REALLY NICE, better than the hayames. It was funny, even my dad noticed. He was all mad at me for buying my 5th(yes 5th) suspension but once he got in he was impressed by how comfortable it was. Dont get me wrong the hayames rode nice but you could still tell the car was lowered. With the D2s you barely get that feeling.
-After driving it to work I feel less of the cracks. Some of the bumps on the road, I didnt even feel much of. On this one bump, I used to feel my car hop up a little but now the front just absorbed it as if it was stock. On this one dip, I used to have to let go of the gas before because I would kinda lose traction but now it's just smooth. As for handling so far.. its awesome.. I thought the hayames responded nice, but these are even better.

So far I LOVE THEM. For $850 its a great buy. Now its just time for me to get an alignment and start taking corners at 20mph
Here's a link to them D2 Racing Coilover Group Buy Highly recommend you get them from www.urbanimport.com as they are Authorized Importer/Distributor of D2 products. They also have the greatest service.. Thanks Michael for another great product for a low low price...

Oh and I also got matching rear camber kits for them and they look SWEET! I'll install those within a few days and get pictures for you guys...
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

CIVIC808 is an unknown quantity at this point
how low can you go with a comfortable ride?
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
and think 03+ still have to mod the front camber bolts right? are you as low as your Hayame?
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

meanirsk is an unknown quantity at this point
how does it ride and coule you post a pic of your car lowered...thanks alot
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Yoyoio
and think 03+ still have to mod the front camber bolts right? are you as low as your Hayame?
Most likely you would because it has larger hole than 01-02

Sound good but I don't have the money for 850 set. I hope the hayame will be good enough for me. How do you adjust the damper setting? Is it hard?
Old 04-19-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
How is the ride compard to stock?

Noob question... if you have to modify the front camber bolts, in an 03 does that mean that you can never go back to a stock suspension after having the D2s in?
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
dam VnLilman, I thought i was the only one to have had 5 differnt set ups.

Those look really nice, what did you end up doing with your Hayames?
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Be sure to post how these respond to w/ preloading and w/o.
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
good iish david. cant wait to take a ride... got to look into thoes ... hahaha man ive only been on 4 diff set up's one more and were all cought up.. its funny cuzz i did 3 of ur setup's.

- (eh dont worry, you dont really need a spring compresser. It pops off slightly but it doesnt shoot the nut all over the place as you'd think). - haha i wonder were u learned that from
Old 04-19-2004
The Standard One

Right now i'm at the lowest it can go. Still waiting for the rear to settle a bit because I just got them on this weekend. The front is slightly lower than what I had the hayames at and the rear is slightly higher(should eventually even out to the same as how I had my hayames). More or less a 2.25-2.5" drop which is probably the lowest drivable drop anyways. As for damper settings i'm currently at the softest up front and stiffest in the rear. I'll probably soften up the rear and stiffen up the front a little after today.

Yoyoio, yeah probably. What you can maybe do is get the EP3 setup and get custom springs if you want to avoid drilling the D2s.

meanirsk, sorry i'll post pics of the gaps but not of the car. Its lookin real crappy right now... Maybe after I get my kit and my rims back on

dacivic, nope its easy to adjust the damper, just put in the adjustment **** at the top and turn. I'll try to take pics of it tonight

armieo, you can still go back to stock because your only drilling the D2s not anything on the car itself. So ya you just have to sell the D2s to someone who uses 16mm holes as well. If anything get the Ep3 ones with custom spring rates. Ride compared to stock, its hard to compare to stock because your using stiffer spring rates. Also the setting you have it at differs. Since I have the front at the softest and rear stiffest the front feels more like stock while the rear rebounds a lot quicker. I'll set it to softest all around and get back to you. I can tell you that my dad thought it was comfortable tho.

DIZZLE, haha ya I think i'm sticking with these. Hayames I gave to a friend . The preloading and stuff, eh I like it at my current height so I doubt i'll be touching that.

Haha ya.. install wouldnt have been as easy as it was if I hadnt learned from master vinney... haha...
Old 04-19-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Is it adjustable height? So do we need to buy camber kits with this thing?
Old 04-19-2004
The Standard One

Is it adjustable height? Its coilovers.. of course.. This time adjustable height AND adjustable damper... The front you wont need a camber kit but the rear you still do(well depending on the drop)
Old 04-19-2004
< My future wife.

If you have stock wheels on and then the total diameter of your rims and tires that you put onAFTER alignment is different than stock... does this affect camber/alignment?
Old 04-19-2004
The Standard One

Nope, changing wheels/tires doesnt affect alignment at all. If your alignment was slightly off to begin with(but not noticable) its easier to notice it with aftermarket rims because the tire is usually stickier than stock. But ya I want to put the rims on before the alignment just incase of clearance issues. If my 18s dont fit, it means either I have to raise it a little or maybe put some slight negative camber and I rather do that before than after the alignment
Old 04-19-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
sounds promising but how are they for like a daily driver, what are the spring rates?
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
^^ yes and yes
Old 04-19-2004
The Standard One

The spring rates I got are the standard 6kg up front 8kg rear..
You can get custom ones from www.urbanimport.com tho
So far its been great on the crappy LA streets
Old 04-19-2004
< My future wife.

Does alignment have anything to do with my wheels/steering wheel traveling left or right when I roll up to traffic lights? Those streets usually have snake-like bumps in the road right up to the stop line. I doubt it tho coz most of the time I'm alright.
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by armieo
Does alignment have anything to do with my wheels/steering wheel traveling left or right when I roll up to traffic lights? Those streets usually have snake-like bumps in the road right up to the stop line. I doubt it tho coz most of the time I'm alright.
these are alot of F.A.Q wich can be answerd in the F.A.Q tread.. and the street's, alignment and tires. do have some to do with it
Old 04-19-2004
< My future wife.

nvm then.
Old 04-19-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
are you running your 18s right now or do you have something smaller? just wondering cause i have 17s and i know it wont be as good of a ride as 15s but i still would like something nice, im hoping to get coilovers this summers so that is why im looking into all of them, only want to buy one set you know
Old 04-19-2004
The Standard One

Right now i'm running stock 14s. I plan on putting my 18s back on before the alignment which i'm hoping to get done saturday... should ride fairly nice with these...
Old 04-19-2004
Premium Member

hope so if it does then i may consider getting them, i mean for me its sounds like 850 for something that the tein ss can give you without buying anything else like the upper mount if you have an 02 like me
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

these sound to be the most promising new product for the 7thgencivic<p>i cant wait to hear VNlilMAN's full review in a few weeks<p>i am looking into buying a set soon<p><b>for sale wings west 11pc. body kti with fender flares<b><p>
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

sorry i had my html code off..ha ha
Old 04-19-2004
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
I got em for $845 shipped if anyone is interested . Let me know if you guys are.

VNlilMAN:

Damn, nice work and I know any new suspension product that comes out will be given a full detailing by you. if you want I can be your suspension swap store hahaha. Good luck riding D2
Old 04-20-2004
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Is there a warranty on the shocks?
Old 04-20-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Sounds good. I'd jump the bandwagon with you but this time, I'll wait a while. Don't like buying things when they are brand new on the market. I was already like that before my Hayame issue but I just had to get rid of my stock suspension.

They look sweet. You forgot to take pics of your car with them on.
Old 04-20-2004
The Standard One

ya there's a 1 year warranty on the shocks

blah my car needs a make-over.. eh maybe i'll still take pics... probably take them within this week...
Old 04-20-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
^^take pictures as soon as possible....

Quick Reply: FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)