Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Aftermarket Shocks: How long do they last?

Old 07-16-2003
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Question Aftermarket Shocks: How long do they last?

Allright, who has the most miles on their aftermarket shocks and are they still allright? I'm wondering how long they last because I'm on my second set of front OEM shocks and I notice them slightly bouncing already and I'm not even at 30,000 miles yet! Bleh.
Old 07-16-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I'm at 23k, but i haven't lowered :-)! It depends. You should have read the Suspension FAQ!!!! You seem to drive your car hard and with your progress bars, the stock shocks seem to be taking too much. Not to mention the horrible MA winters and changes in temp.
Old 07-16-2003
DIY King

Which suspension FAQ?

Last edited by Grey; 07-16-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2003

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Suspension FAQ
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

DizWikedCivic is on a distinguished road
it just the matter of time and how the way u drive, u cant really know when they will blow, they can blow the next day or 2 year later

Last edited by DizWikedCivic; 07-16-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You could always get a set of re-buildable ones like Tein SS. I thought Konis had like a 5 or 10 year warranty on them?
Anyways... I've never had a set of shocks blow like these stock ones do. I put 135K on my old car, original shocks, 128K on my brothers car, original shocks, come to think of it, only one car my parents have ever had since I was born needed struts, it was a Chevy, and it wasn't until about 95K. I don't think they're supposed to wear out in 15K like these do... I think Honda must have put a team of noobs together when they designed this car... cuz the construction and QA on some of these things suck.
Old 07-16-2003
DIY King

The Suspension FAQ only vaguely asnwers the question of how long the stock shocks will last. That's not my question. I know how long the stock shocks last. They don't. Plain and simple. I'm asking how long aftermarket shocks last.

If you have aftermarket shocks and they're doing just fine, then how many miles have you ridden on them? Who has the most miles on their aftermarket shocks? This could be part of a coilover, or just inserts. I don't care. I want to know what the longest amount of time is for aftermarket shocks.

Thanks in advance for any replies...
Old 07-16-2003

Ahh sorry, i misread then. Aftermarket shocks should last long. Most have a warrenty. Sorry bro. I haven't heard of anyone blowing their aftermarket shock, at least not yet.
Old 07-16-2003
DIY King

No problemo. That's good that you haven't heard of anyone blowing their aftermarket shocks though. That kinda puts me at ease. I'm mainly asking because I hope that my shocks would last if I bought a nice setup.
Old 07-16-2003
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by robbclark1
I'm at 23k, but i haven't lowered :-)! It depends. You should have read the Suspension FAQ!!!! You seem to drive your car hard and with your progress bars, the stock shocks seem to be taking too much. Not to mention the horrible MA winters and changes in temp.
how do progress bars speed up the process of shock wear? by progress i 'm guess you mean sway bars? please explain. thanks.
Old 07-17-2003

With any aftermarket part you are changing the design of the car. Adding sway bars will put more stress on the chassis so that it will remain stiff, and thus people tend to drive harder and faster, putting more stress on the stock shocks. Now some shocks can take the abuse, but for some reason, our can't as Boilermaker and Grey can attest to.
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

BrotherSound is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the SS on for about a month, and they seem invincible,.. no but they seem much stronger than the stock shocks.

Last edited by BrotherSound; 07-17-2003 at 08:37 AM.