Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

HELP: non-mechanically inclined person wants a smooth ride for passengers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP: non-mechanically inclined person wants a smooth ride for passengers

I think the title pretty much says it all. I don't have much time or know-how to work on my car. It would be nice if I at least had one or the other. Anyways, I usually have at least 1 passenger in my 2k1 coupe and I hate having to slow down around corners so that they don't get tossed like rag dolls. Can anyone offer suggestions (in not-too-technical language) for ways to satisfy my need for speed around corners and the comfort of my passengers? I don't want to get fancy. I'm not looking for racing mods, ONLY something with COMFORT in mind. Also, if you have suggestions for replacement tires for my 14" stock wheels that would be great. My tires screech like a banshee around those turns!

Thanks,

QuasiTechnoPhobe
Old 07-15-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
Get some racing bucket seats, then your passengers won't get tossed.

I guess I'm lucky. One of my friends loves it when I drive fast around corners. She puts her hands up in the air through the open moonroof and says it's like riding a rollercoaster. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-15-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
how much are you willing to spend? lowering your car would help the car from leaning alot during a turn but you have to remember your going to have to drive a lil more careful on speedbumps and drieways... also turning fast would still toss your passengers around... strut bar/sway bar/tie bars would help too much not as much as lowering...
Old 07-16-2002
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
If you drop your car it will help around turns but when you go over bumps or bad roads your passengers and you are going to be bouncing around. Stock suspension will be your best ride in comfort.
Old 07-16-2002
Registered!!

I'm not interested in lowering my car because there are lots of potholes and bumps where I drive. Maybe I will stick with stock suspension. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-16-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
i guess getting a couple bars will help prevent the car from flexing... try asking people with strut bars, lower tie bars, sway bars and ask if they worked or not...
Old 07-16-2002
Registered!!

phlipsidez is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: astr033
...I hate having to slow down around corners so that they don't get tossed like rag dolls... [hr]

Uhhhhh.... you HAVE to slow down to take corners.... unless you buy a race car....even then you have to slow down to take corners.
Old 07-16-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
simple, learn to drift [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-16-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Upgrading the suspension in any way will just allow you to go faster and make your passengers even more uncomfortable. I would get new seats with better lumbar support. Lowering the car might help reduce this feeling as well, but you'll just go faster since you'll want to take the corners even faster. Anyway, weird question.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Uhhhhh.... you HAVE to slow down to take corners.... unless you buy a race car....even then you have to slow down to take corners.[hr]

Umm, do you take everything so literally?? Of course you have to slow down to take a turn.
Old 05-30-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
no matter what you do you can't bent the law of physics.

all mass has moment of inertia, the body will eventually be tossed around unless there is force to support it. Therefore, racing seat with 2 seatbelt will do the job. Racing seat curved in and surround your body, so when you get tossed it supports you.

bars/coilovers prevent the whole car get tossed but does not pervent the mass inside the car getting tossed at all.
Old 06-01-2003
Registered!!

artychris is an unknown quantity at this point
before I went hardcore on my suspension, all I had was...

1. Neuspeed Upper Front Strut. $100
That's the shiney piece of metal that people show off in your engine bay. Stiffening up the front will give better control therefore leading to less engine bay vibration.

2. RSX 19mm Rear Sway Bar. $75
This is what's going to make your suspension handle. This part alone is going to give you a wider turning radius giving you a skidpad friendlier ride.

I had the above mentioned suspension mods for over a year on my car with absolutely no adverse side effects. There will be a negligible difference in ride quality and in fact improving it in some ways.
If I were to suggest anything else besides these, then I would strongly recommend...

3. Si wheels $500+
If you're not going to lower your car, then get the Si wheels if you haven't already done so. 15" wheels is a tolerable size and the Si's just look good on the Civic with a stock ride height. Compared to the EX steelies, it's going to save you about 4lbs and trust me, it makes a HUGE difference at low speeds. The 14"s I believe is approximately 2 or so lbs if you have steelies and will be the same approximate weight if you have the 14" alloys.
Less weight = less strain on suspenion = (kinda) better ride

4. Yokohama AVS ES100 (195/55/15) $228/set @ tirerack.com
I'd have to recommend something like the Paradas or the Toyos.
With a 55 series tire, you're still going to have PLENTY of tire to cushion all the potholes and such in daily driving. The fact is, if you shave weight from the wheel, then the harshness of a smaller tire will be nulled by the less strain the suspension has to endure. The 195/55/15 is an ideal size for 15" wheels. If you have a 14" wheel, go with a 185/60/14. With stickier tires, you're gonna shave a foot or so off of your braking.

With this setup, your car will look completely stock. The Si's will look good and the difference is astounding compared to stock. The total cost will be $903+.

If you want to make your ride more comfortable for you passengers, then consider getting some sound deadener in your car. These Civics seem to transmit alot of noise.
Old 06-01-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Do they make Neuspeed Sofsports for us yet? Those are the only springs I can think of that are comfort-oriented. I'd also suggest ditching the crappy tires.
For all seasons get Bridgestone Potenza RE-950
For Summer tires... A lot of us like the Yoko AVS ES100... they're cheap, quiet and great in wet weather.