Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

question about lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scarypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
question about lowering springs

what do i need to lower my car, from what ive heard all i need is the springs, is there anything else i need ? .. or will the springs be enough ? im getting eibach sport springs.
? ?
thanks.
Old 07-24-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
all you need are springs to lower it yes... but the ride quality will suck.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

no, im not so concerned about ride quality.. not at this point anyway.
Old 07-24-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/fa...s#faq_susp_faq
wrong forum. belongs in suspension
have fun
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

my bad
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

i just want to make sure i wont cause any damage by keeping the stock shocks in for a few months
Old 07-24-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Depends how much you lower the car by. The stock shocks could blow right away, they might blow in a few months.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

1.7-2.0 inches ?

what do shocks cost ?
Old 07-24-2005
The one and only....

Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Blahman240
all you need are springs to lower it yes... but the ride quality will suck.
Actually the ride quality won't suck.... There are members on here who have had lowering springs on their car with stock shocks for over two years. Yeah they could blow tommorow or two years from now, you just don't know. You will also need a camber kit for the front and back. Even if you are not dropping that much, the camber is still going to be off.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

really ? i heard i may not need a camber kit and that every car is different - i mean if i need one .. then i need one.. but id like to do this as inexpensive as possible - but also as safe as possible. ( re: damage wise)
it will also be riding on stock tires - since i blew a tire on a highway and killed my rim.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

anyone know about labour costs foir this also.
Old 07-24-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
same question ^^^^^
Old 07-24-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
Invest in a camber kit. Do it the right way the first time. As for price, it will vary from area to area, depending on shop labor rates and what not. Check a REPUTABLE shop, that has done the type of work before. You get what you pay for.
Old 07-24-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=133266

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86545

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=200089

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171892

The stickied threads are there for a reason - read them!

Last edited by robbclark1; 07-24-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scarypunk
really ? i heard i may not need a camber kit and that every car is different - i mean if i need one .. then i need one.. but id like to do this as inexpensive as possible - but also as safe as possible. ( re: damage wise)
it will also be riding on stock tires - since i blew a tire on a highway and killed my rim.
If you plan on being cheap about your suspension then don't do it. Do it right or don't do it because 1) it can be dangerous and 2) you can end up hating your ride quality.

To do it right you need
1) Good springs - eibach, hr, neuspeed, goldline
2) AFtermarket shocks (see damper thread I posted in previous post)
3) Front and rear camber kits to save your tires.

You can go with full coils which swap shock and spring. Parts are listed in the faq.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

civic2nr819 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 04 coupe and I only used gold line (1.7") springs.I put 24k miles in the last 18 mos since I did it and the tires look fine.The shop charged $60 to do the springs and $50 for an alignment.I will eventually get a camber kit but I got a few projects goin on so the car gets neglected a little.
Old 07-24-2005

ok so if i wanted to get coilovers installed on my 01 coupe, how much do you guys think it will be, this one mechanic i asked told me 250, and i think thats way too high, but im not sure. help! not trying to get ripped thanx
Old 07-24-2005

If full coils, then just do it yourself. it isn't that hard.
Old 07-24-2005

i do not wish to risk it because i am a noob to suspension set-ups. so help me not get ripped and i would appriciatte it
Old 07-24-2005
The one and only....

Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Full coilover's is not hard to do yourself. Springs are easy to, but I would just call around everywhere around your area and see what the cheapest is, but don't go to a bunch of idiots. I would also recommend that you learn a little bit about installation of springs and familiarize yourself with your suspension, so you can double check their work. I never trust anyone that does **** on my car. 99% of the time they do a good job, but that's just me. It's always good to have a little knowledge about things like that, or they will definitely take advantage of you.
Old 07-24-2005

We did springs in 3 hours with no air tools so figure an hour/hour and half of labor so about $120-$175 if you provide the parts. I agree with echelon about knowing things. That is the only way you can prevent getting ripped off. Ask the fellas in the south forum about where to take your car or if they can help you. The more you learn the better you will be.
Old 07-24-2005

thanx guys. i am learning as i type and read here. so i have read all of the faqs and diys about this. im going to acquire skunk2 full coilovers for my ride. so 250 is too much then. now i know, even though i thought that was way too high anyway. yeah thanx again, i will shop around some more. i don't want to do this one on my own, maybe if i had a group of friends, but none of my firends do cars, only me and im still learning. thanx again.
Old 07-24-2005

If the skunk2 coils come with upper mounts, then it should literally take them an hour. However, you need to learn how to adjust the height. You will have to do that until you are happy with it. Then you need an alignment.

you don't currently need friends that are into cars, but ask some of the guys in your area on this site if they can help you. I don't want to push you into DIY, but I think trying to learn about your car will help in the long run. I am a firm believer in doing rather than just reading.

feel free to pm me or IM me with any questions.
Old 07-24-2005

no prob. i will remember you when i get my shipment in within a couple of weeks. i am going to have to learn to adjust them, i will make sure that the guy installing them will show me and i will try. and yeah i will get an alingment asap after instalation.
Old 07-25-2005

Originally Posted by MajinB
no prob. i will remember you when i get my shipment in within a couple of weeks. i am going to have to learn to adjust them, i will make sure that the guy installing them will show me and i will try. and yeah i will get an alingment asap after instalation.
You don't get an alignment right after installation. You get an alignment after you are happy with the height and the springs settle. Once you change the height, you change the alignment. Do the alignment when the car is dropped to where you want it.
Old 07-25-2005

got it