Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rota wheels

Old 03-28-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBPD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rota wheels

Im interested in Rota Slipstream wheels and was wondering if anyone has any expierience
with these wheels or with Rota wheels in general? I was reading somewhere there are stickers on the wheels when you get them. One stating that they are "For Racing Only". Would this mean the same thing as "For Off-Road Use Only", meaning they cant be used on public roads? Do wheels have to be DOT approved in order to use them on public roads? The other sticker supposedly states that they are only meant for sub-compact cars and have a 500kg weight limit per wheel. Is that an acceptable weight limit for a wheel? Are these wheels safe/legal for daily driving?

Thanks

Last edited by NBPD17A2; 03-28-2003 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2003
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Grey has rotas on his car, the wheels are great. They're fairly strong but very light in turn. If your looking at 17s be careful because I beleive Grey has bent one of his. 16s and lower are awesome, especially if you do track use once and a while. If I'm not mistaking, all wheels are legal, except for those ones that stick out like a foot haha. Hope that helps
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

BenjiDXCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 16" Rota Sub-Zeros I haven't had any problems with them. As for those stickers there weren't any on my wheels
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rota uses alot of designs from other name brand wheels and makes their own version, but for a knock-off wheel they are good in quality.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

AvrilLavigne45 is an unknown quantity at this point
the wheels are really good
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
yes good but be careful if you get larger wheels, dont over torque the lugs. my buddy cracked his 18's rota slipstreams cause he over torqued the one wheel. he got a great price for them and they only like 17 pounds for an 18 inch wheel. nice.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
I have my 16X7 Slipstream right in front of me, my Kumho's are getting mounted on Fri, and they do NOT say for racing only. They actually tell you how to care for them if you live in a place that uses salt on the roads and other normal street stuff. The max load per wheel is 1580lbs per wheel for 16's and 17's. And they are marked "For Passenger Cars" not just 'Sub-compacts' so don't worry about it.
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yeah, what is the proper torque for or cars? Is it any different with the ROTA's on there?
Old 04-09-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
check out this site for rota wheels, not bad prices
Old 04-10-2003
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
also mugenxracer, hondawerx guy, has 15" ones on his car...you'd think they were a bit small, but they look great.
Old 04-10-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I just ordered a set of 15' Slipstreams from a guy localy (Las Vegas) for $100 a piece. He said that he gives special deals to locals. Finally got my racing wheels. Just a note, He said that ROTA usa is backorderd on the Slipstrams for about a month now. These wheels will only be on my car on race day. Hopefully Ill have them before the 4th of next month (Next Autocross).
Old 04-10-2003
Registered!!

Frank2sy is an unknown quantity at this point
The proper torque for our car's lug nuts is 80 lb/ft..
Old 04-10-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Frank2sy, thats for steel wheels. If you Torque an aluminium wheel to that you can warp the Lug seats/crack them. I Torque mine to 72Lbs/Ft.
Old 04-13-2003
Registered!!

artychris is an unknown quantity at this point
Slips in 18?

Originally posted by 4bangin
yes good but be careful if you get larger wheels, dont over torque the lugs. my buddy cracked his 18's rota slipstreams cause he over torqued the one wheel. he got a great price for them and they only like 17 pounds for an 18 inch wheel. nice.
They make the Slipstreams in 15s and 16s.
I got the 16x7 Slipstreams on my ride. I got em torqued tight and no bending issues.
Usually a company would set up a disclaimer like that to prevent lawsuits.
The wheel is great as a daily driver. I have not yet raced my car.
Old 04-15-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by MadWheel
Grey has rotas on his car, the wheels are great. They're fairly strong but very light in turn. If your looking at 17s be careful because I beleive Grey has bent one of his. 16s and lower are awesome, especially if you do track use once and a while. If I'm not mistaking, all wheels are legal, except for those ones that stick out like a foot haha. Hope that helps
Yep, I dented one. Don't know exactly when this happened, but probably while going over a pothole. A good sized pothole at that, but still... Oh yeah, I also cracked a spoke! Oops! This was something that happened after I rammed the curb though. Still, it's kinda weird that the wheel survived during the run-in with the curb and then it cracked some time after.
Old 04-15-2003
Autocross Junky

It may have been cracked by the Curb, and not been visible then. With a bit more driving the crack could have spread and became Visible.
Old 04-17-2003
DIY King

Yeah, that's true. Hell of an impact, huh? Ever see anyone do this while autocrossing?
Old 04-17-2003
Autocross Junky

The two thigns Ive seen like that were, a BP Classes RX7 schear off a drive wheel. and a SM2 Corvette schear off all of the wheel studs on a drive wheel.

Though At one event, some kid took his Toyota Echo in to a palm tree. He tryed to power his way out of a spin, something you can some times do in a FWD car, but he ended up powering his way from bad situation to a eating tree situation.
Old 04-17-2003
DIY King

Ouch! Yeah, not fun. Bleh.
Old 04-17-2003
Registered!!

Macwheels is an unknown quantity at this point
They are nice wheels