Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

DIY: Brake Pads and Rotor Install *Updated*

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shlomo is an unknown quantity at this point
well i just finished changing the rotors and pads (brembro blanks...pbr/axxis ultimates) and things went pretty smoothly once we started using air tools. i weighed the stock rotors and they weighed the same as the brembros, 11.5 lbs each. so no weight reduction there in case anyone was still wondering. tommorow i will hopefully change the fluid and take my car out for a spin.
Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Can I still use this DIY for if I got ABS?
Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

i've got abs and had no problems at all.
Old 05-29-2005
Registered!!

eightone is an unknown quantity at this point
hi just had a question, so is there no need to mess with the spindle nut in the center?
Old 05-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by eightone
hi just had a question, so is there no need to mess with the spindle nut in the center?
no there is no need to mess with that nut unless you are installing new axles, removing the spindle or any other things under the rotor.
Old 05-29-2005
Registered!!

^^yup
Old 05-30-2005
Registered!!

winnerpl is an unknown quantity at this point
What's a good place to get good brakes?
Old 09-14-2005
Registered!!

knipple is an unknown quantity at this point
For those that have a Torque Wrench, the torque specifications for the two inner bolts(the ones that when removed allow the caliper to be removed from the wheel) is 79.6 ft lbs.
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

Nates02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I did my brakes today and one of those damn screws stripped so i had to drill it out, just incase anyone wants to know, the size of these screws are M6, i went ahead and bought a few incase i did it again next time.

Nathan
Old 10-01-2005
You bought a used dog??

def01tones will become famous soon enough
i will be attempting this DIY here in a few mins. im alittle nervous about running into probs and not knowing what to do. so everybody pray for a fellow 7thgen member to pull through this with flying colors. also do i absolutely need to bleed the brakes??? cuz that sounds kinda complicated for all 4 brakes since i will be alone.
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by def01tones
i will be attempting this DIY here in a few mins. im alittle nervous about running into probs and not knowing what to do. so everybody pray for a fellow 7thgen member to pull through this with flying colors. also do i absolutely need to bleed the brakes??? cuz that sounds kinda complicated for all 4 brakes since i will be alone.

i didn't bleed the brakes when i did it. the whole process is pretty easy, but i highly highly suggest getting an impact screw driver if you don't have one. it took me 15 minutes to do one side when i had the impact screwdriver and it took me hours to do it without it.
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by def01tones
If you are alone, and dont have a 1 person brake bleeder kit, then you cant do it. You dont have to bleed the brakes if you dont open the system up, but it would be a good idea to go ahead and have it done if you have fluid that has been in there for along time. Overtime, the boiling point of the fluid will decrease and more moisture will build up in the fluid and cause problems. Also dirty fluid can cause parts to wear out faster. Its pretty easy to do as I bleed my friends brakes with another person for the first time several weeks ago on his wifes car.
Old 10-01-2005
You bought a used dog??

def01tones will become famous soon enough
^^^alright i feel alittle better after that. ill bleed them another time then.
Old 12-12-2005
Registered!!

01civicexboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I will be replacing my brakes this weekend and do I absolutley need this impact screw driver? Can I do it with a normal driver or is it going to be tightened too much?
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

it may be tight, it may not be. you have to pull the tires off and check. Mine werent, but yours may be.
Old 12-19-2005
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Nates02EX
Hey I did my brakes today and one of those damn screws stripped so i had to drill it out, just incase anyone wants to know, the size of these screws are M6, i went ahead and bought a few incase i did it again next time.

Nathan
Get an impact screwdriver for removing those. Get it from harborfreight.com for like $10.
Old 12-19-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Wait... where did you come from?
Back from the dead?
Old 12-19-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
neh, hes just the ghost of 7thgen past.. he'll be gone as soon as the holidays are over
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

ManUtd0018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

I don't have a vise grip of c-clamp to push in the piston. What do i do now because i can't fit the pads over the rotor? Sorry, but how do i push the piston back exactly?
Old 01-24-2006
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ManUtd0018
I don't have a vise grip of c-clamp to push in the piston. What do i do now because i can't fit the pads over the rotor? Sorry, but how do i push the piston back exactly?
Buy a clamp
Old 01-24-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
yeah buy a clamp or go to walmart and get one just don't push it in too hard
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

Exclamation

Thanks, i figured it out.

Should the pads be touching the rotor? I slipped the caliper onto the rotor pretty easily once i pushed the piston back; but, once i started driving and had finished the first part of the bedding and break in period (35mph to 5mph x 10) I pulled over to let the rotors cool according to the directions for tempering the powerslots, and i noticed that the brakes were smoking!! I waited 30min and then drove 3 miles home without doing the second part of the break in process.

IS this normal for the pads to be really close? It doesn't seem that the pads are exerting pressure onto the rotors but they are rubbing...

Last edited by ManUtd0018; 01-24-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

i've been hearing that the smoke is normal..
Old 01-24-2006

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, i figured it out.

Should the pads be touching the rotor? I slipped the caliper onto the rotor pretty easily once i pushed the piston back; but, once i started driving and had finished the first part of the bedding and break in period (35mph to 5mph x 10) I pulled over to let the rotors cool according to the directions for tempering the powerslots, and i noticed that the brakes were smoking!! I waited 30min and then drove 3 miles home without doing the second part of the break in process.

IS this normal for the pads to be really close? It doesn't seem that the pads are exerting pressure onto the rotors but they are rubbing...
where did you even hear about that kind of break in....there was nothing with my powerslots or my axxis pads that said anything about a break in period like that, they said for the first 500 miles or so brake slowly and evenly.....if i remember correctly....

Last edited by shroomster; 01-24-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

I have the instructions in my car. I will scan and post for you to see. But is the smoke normal, and should the pads be that close?
Old 01-24-2006

I have the instructions in my car. I will scan and post for you to see. But is the smoke normal, and should the pads be that close?
I had no smoke to be honest with you...and it may look like they're touching but its just cause they're so close together...the gap is like a few micrmeters or something...
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

Here's the scan: It is also written on the hawk pads box that this type of break in period should be followed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	powerslot.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	63916  
Old 03-08-2007
Registered!!

medalian1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for this post OP, did my girlfriends car a cpl of weekends ago with my brother's help and this guide. Took less than an hour and was only $55.
Old 03-14-2007
Registered!!

biz4two is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow

Originally Posted by knipple
For those that have a Torque Wrench, the torque specifications for the two inner bolts(the ones that when removed allow the caliper to be removed from the wheel) is 79.6 ft lbs.
This is invaluable info! Torque specs are a must have...IMO!

GREY -- GREAT DIY!

biz
Old 09-25-2007
Registered!!

Sara-Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Brake Pads and Rotor Install *Updated*

Grey, thanks for the best guide I've seen on the net.

I've a couple of notes to add.

On my Civic, the rear pistons are threaded. You have to screw them in, not push them in using a c-clamp.

You also have to unclip the handbrake cable before you can remove the caliper. The length and position of the brake fluid pipe also makes it impossible to use the trick of unfastening the bottom nut and flipping the caliper up. Instead you have to wiggle and push to lift the caliper off.

I found that my Civic had non-standard pads: that is, they didn't match the model and year chart at Halfords, or online. I guess this isn't usual. But before buying pads, I wished I had taken them out and drawn the profile and measured. That would have saved a lot of time.

----

Then a couple of other notes. First for the admin: I thought this stuff was worth leaving as a note, but I really had to struggle to register. The registration form seemed to be adding in blanks and line breaks in the email sent out. It might just be me, but...

And lastly, to add a bit of petrol to a fire... Manutd0018 and and dru016, what kind of ***** are you to use pictures like that? Are you maybe 13 years old, not 18 and 16 like your names suggest? Girls drive and mod Civics too.

No need to reply. This is a one time posting. And, no I'm not a lesbian, and yes, I do get quite a lot.

Thanks again Grey for the brilliant howto,

Sara-Lee

Quick Reply: DIY: Brake Pads and Rotor Install *Updated*