Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

DIY: Brake Pads and Rotor Install *Updated*

Old 05-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Brake Pads and Rotor Install *Updated*

Originally posted by Grey
Although, in theory they should work better than the stock ones do. The holes increase the surface area of the rotor and allow the air to flow through the rotor which increases cooling of the rotor. The slots are there to prevent the buildup of brake dust so that it doesn't form a glaze on the surface of the brake pad. This glaze forms under hard braking and has lower frictional properties than the surface of a non-glazed brake pad. In effect, you will be able to effectively brake longer than before.
i believe this is partially incorrect. buy drilling the holes and slotting the rotors, you are DEcreasing the surface area, thus requiring a LARGER rotor to achieve the same fade resistance of stock, more material = more heat the rotor can soak up = better fade resistance

in effect, a "Big Brake Kit" may have little to no more surface area than stock. the benefits of the drilled holes are marginal and merely create points for stress cracks to occur, and the slots arent really needed because a decent set of new pads doesnt "gas-out" like older pads did, thus making the slotting unnecessary.

this is a good DIY dont get me wong, but there are better rotor choices out there(brembo blanks, etc.)

just trying to inform people
Old 05-16-2004
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
You're kinda repeating what the ads for non-drilled rotors say. What you're saying makes sense, but there are a ton of factors to consider. The amount of frictional force does not decrease with surface area; kinda a law of physics. You have a point with the more mass = more heat soaking capability. Although it's how hot the rotor gets that's most important. Less mass = more hot, but less mass due to holes = less hot. There's an optimum point here. One that balances cooling through surface area and mass.
Old 05-17-2004
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ pretty much yes, but may not have to refill after each wheel. Usually you can do both backs then check fluid level then both fronts and top it off at the end. But this all varries with how many times you have to bleed each wheel.
Old 05-31-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
what are the sizes for the 4 bolts and the bleeder screws so I know what size wrenches to have?
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

dubz01si is an unknown quantity at this point
what the hell do you do when your phillp screw is stripped the F-ing thing just stiped on my with the right size phillip F\/ck
Old 06-06-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dubz01si
what the hell do you do when your phillp screw is stripped the F-ing thing just stiped on my with the right size phillip F\/ck
use a drill bit and just drill out the head of the screw then the rotor will come off. then you can usually easily remove the stub of the screw after the rotor is off. Ive done it MANY times
Old 06-09-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by manu
Hey Grey great DIY ; but i just can't take out the bolts for the calipers . I was able to take only one bottom bolt and the other three aren't moving at all. I tried WD-40 , i tried a friend of mine who's stronger than me and it just won't come off. Got any ideas ??? anybody ??
What you can also do is put the wrench on the nut and use a hammer and hit the wrench untill the nut comes loose. I do this with changing my oil.
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

Fred is an unknown quantity at this point
Taking Grey's advice in his DIY on brakes, I bought an impact screw driver. you hit it with a hammer. The good news was that I got the two screws out of the rotor BUT I coudn't get the rotor off the hub. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

have you tried using a mallet to hit the rotor?
Old 06-11-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

penetrating oil, and TAP the face ( in between the wheel studs ) LIGHTLY. DONT hit the surface that the pads ride on. Worse case use a LARGE generic gear puller and grab the out side of the rotor with the hooks tighten it sligtly and then tap on rotor again. Rinse and repeat.........
Old 06-21-2004
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, i just put on some aem rotors and now i think i put them on the wrong way. My rotors are in like yours are in the picture but I just want to make sure that the picture is the old one and not the updated one. I don't have a picture of mine, but again they look like yours in the picture. Mine are only slotted though and heres a rough diagram of what the drivers side looks like.

|````(```|
|````o```| Caliper Here
|,,,,,,),,,,,|

let the ( represent the 'rough' direction of the slots.
( for some reason extra spaces are taken out so i had to put in `'s instead)

Don't laugh at my diagram, but it just seems like this way is the way that would wear the pad the least since its the middle of the curve thats hitting the pad first as opposed to the ends. Hope this made sense.

Last edited by hankscorpio; 06-21-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2004
DIY King

Yep, the way they are in the picture is the way they're not supposed to be. Hehe... I should post an updated pic, huh?
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the help.

I was searching through the members rides pics for other peoples install and every picture i saw, people had there rotors in the wrong way except for one.

This was the only picture i could find of them in the correct direction
Old 06-22-2004
DIY King

Well... It's a weird thing actually. The direction you should have them in is different from vendor to vendor. I'm following Brembo's instructions for their own make of cross-drilled rotors (not the ones I bought), so I don't know... I guess you should read up on the matter and pick a direction that sounds rational.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

ChunkyMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
i just need to change my brake pads...are all these steps neccessary? thanx in advance...piece
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey
i just need to change my brake pads...are all these steps neccessary? thanx in advance...piece
no, just remove your bottom bolt from your caliper and swing the caliper up, remove the pads, install the new ones, push back in your piston, and swing the caliper back down and put the bolt back on and your finished.
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

ChunkyMonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks...i didn't want to do all that stuff just to change my pads...
Old 10-17-2004
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey
thanks...i didn't want to do all that stuff just to change my pads...
Oh man!! If you cant do that dont mod your car
Old 10-28-2004
rzc
Registered!!

rzc is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank You!

Great DIY... just did mine over the weekend only took me less than an hour and a half. I ended up using Brembo "blanks". Great DIY sure saved me lots of headaches!

Thanks again!
RC
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

woodee will become famous soon enough
Awesome DIY. Took me about 2 hours thanks!!!
Old 11-04-2004
Registered!!

HoldDaMayo is an unknown quantity at this point
Took me about an hour and a half, I did it with Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS pads and WOWOWOW!!! I love the new braking feel, I drive with alot more confidence... i feel with this combination I can get everything out of my 205/40/17's...

I give this DIY a 10!
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

Shlomo is an unknown quantity at this point
i've got some brembro blanks and axxis pads on the way so i'll be putting them on in a week or two. i got one question though, aren't you supposed to clean off the rotors before installing them? i heard that they are shipped with a sealent type coating for protection. Is this true? and if so what do you clean it off w/? Thanks
Old 12-10-2004
MIT
Registered!!

MIT is an unknown quantity at this point
i just installed the brembo blank and aem pads......yeh more confidence when doin hard stop.......

sealent type coating on rotor? i didnt clean mine....what' up with that ......
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

i just remember hearing something about cleaning off the coating before use. Your set up is ok though?
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

karlozc2003 should not be trusted
I was tolled to clean of the rotors before installing them because it has some type of anti rust coat. BTW i also have the blank Brembo w/axxis pads
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

so did you just clean them with a brake cleaner, or degreaser, or what?
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
spray them off with brake clean and you'll be fine. some rotors come with a gold coating on them those you need to wash with soap and water before install, but for brembos just spray them down good with cleaner.
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

cool thanks for the help
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

yeah, i just got them in today (brembro blanks and pbr ultimates) and on the box it says to wash the blanks w/ brake cleaner. Also, the rotors weigh 11.5lbs each. i/ve got to weigh the stock ones once the come off.
Old 12-16-2004
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to help out ppl incase grey didn't mention it if those screws don't come out of the rotor you can buy a center punch and it i'll do the trick. It's very very very useful for cars that are a bit older than our civics or for ppl that don't live in 1 season climates.

I have yet to come into contact w/ a brake rotor that you actually had to clean w/ soap I have used brake cleaner on almost all the different brakes installed even big brake kits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Brake Pads and Rotor Install *Updated*