Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

how to take off hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobG2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
how to take off hubcaps

alright i know this is a stupid question but i just want to make sure i dont mess something up.
anyways i want to take off the stock hubcaps on my 2k1 civic for winter but i dont know how to [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
can anyone please help me out.
Old 12-06-2002
Registered!!

hype is an unknown quantity at this point
u gotta take off all 4 lugs
Old 12-06-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep take off all 4 lugs keeps the local wanna be thief from grabbing them with out tools HEHE

Nick
Old 12-07-2002
Registered!!

RobG2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
okay thx, i can just use the tools that come in the back of the trunk right? and when im putting them back on how do i know they are tight enough?
Old 12-07-2002
Registered!!

AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Basically, you want to make sure they have about 80psi ... with a torque wrench ... now nobody really has a torque wrench so ... here is the answer ... basically ... when you get it tight enough that you cant turn it ... stand up and give it 1 more push (it should be a snug tight fit). You dont want it too tight ... but tighter I say is better than it being loose.

Also, when you take off the lug nuts ... be sure that when putting them back that you do it in a "star" pattern. For instance, if the wheel has 4 bolts ... then tighten the top right, then the lower left, then the top left and finally lower right (when you tighten the first top right one ... dont fully tighten it. In other words slightly tighten it, then move to the next lug in the "star" pattern slightly tighten that lug nut etc ... keep going over the star pattern until all lugs are fully tightened). Don't ask me why but in shop class thats what we were taught (think it makes sure that the wheel is put on evenly).

Steps to remove hub caps
1)get jack, and tire iron out of trunk
2)raise car SLIGHTLY (enough so that you see the car is going up, but the tire is still touching ground)
3)take tire iron and loosen nuts, all 4 (might need to stand up and kick tire iron down with foot)
4)riase car fully
5)completely unscrew lugs
6)take hub cap off
7)follow bolt "star" pattern, to SLIGHTLY tighten lugs (make sure they are a "snug" tight)
8)lower car until tire touches the ground
9) completely tighten lugs, following same "star" pattern
10)completely lower car and put jack away

These sets might seem long but they really aren't ... this also insures that the lugs are put back on correctly. These directions also apply when changing a tire (flat, adding rims etc...)
BTW if you have hub caps ... why take them off ??? People with rims often buy steel rims for winter but thats cuase they dont want to wreck the factory rims. With hub caps who cares !

L8tr
Old 12-08-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: AznHalfy
Basically, you want to make sure they have about 80psi ... with a torque wrench ... now nobody really has a torque wrench so ... here is the answer ... basically ... when you get it tight enough that you cant turn it ... stand up and give it 1 more push (it should be a snug tight fit). You dont want it too tight ... but tighter I say is better than it being loose.

Also, when you take off the lug nuts ... be sure that when putting them back that you do it in a "star" pattern. For instance, if the wheel has 4 bolts ... then tighten the top right, then the lower left, then the top left and finally lower right (when you tighten the first top right one ... dont fully tighten it. In other words slightly tighten it, then move to the next lug in the "star" pattern slightly tighten that lug nut etc ... keep going over the star pattern until all lugs are fully tightened). Don't ask me why but in shop class thats what we were taught (think it makes sure that the wheel is put on evenly).

Steps to remove hub caps
1)get jack, and tire iron out of trunk
2)raise car SLIGHTLY (enough so that you see the car is going up, but the tire is still touching ground)
3)take tire iron and loosen nuts, all 4 (might need to stand up and kick tire iron down with foot)
4)riase car fully
5)completely unscrew lugs
6)take hub cap off
7)follow bolt "star" pattern, to SLIGHTLY tighten lugs (make sure they are a "snug" tight)
8)lower car until tire touches the ground
9) completely tighten lugs, following same "star" pattern
10)completely lower car and put jack away

These sets might seem long but they really aren't ... this also insures that the lugs are put back on correctly. These directions also apply when changing a tire (flat, adding rims etc...)
BTW if you have hub caps ... why take them off ??? People with rims often buy steel rims for winter but thats cuase they dont want to wreck the factory rims. With hub caps who cares !

L8tr[hr]
Whoa, now he has xtra time on his hands to help people out. Wish I had some xtra time.
Old 12-08-2002
Registered!!

AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wha ???