View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Any problems with an ELD bypass?

Originally Posted by ezone
Fault code for ELD will set.
Will the code adversely effect anything when it is set? I drove it with the ELD unplugged and it seems to run fine, at least until it figures out that the ELD is unplugged and sets a code.
Old 11-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
at least until it figures out that the ELD is unplugged and sets a code.
The code is already set and stored in memory. Plug in your scanner and you will find it.
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

The code is already set and stored in memory. Plug in your scanner and you will find it.
No ELD code yet. Maybe a JDM ECU doesn’t set an ELD code when there’s a problem. It doesn’t set an EGR code even though the valve isn’t installed.
Old 11-06-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No ELD code yet. Maybe a JDM ECU doesn’t set an ELD code when there’s a problem. It doesn’t set an EGR code even though the valve isn’t installed.
Oooh now everything depends on what your (wrong) PCM is programmed for. Maybe Japan didn't have ELD or would not recognize faults with ELD, like Canada didn't have ELD equipped at all on some cars. Same for EGR, maybe whatever car your PCM is for was not equipped with EGR.
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Oooh now everything depends on what your (wrong) PCM is programmed for. Maybe Japan didn't have ELD or would not recognize faults with ELD, like Canada didn't have ELD equipped at all on some cars. Same for EGR, maybe whatever car your PCM is for was not equipped with EGR.
Thanks. I know that the car the PCM is from had EGR because the harness that the PCM came with had an EGR plug. I also presume that the car it’s from has an ELD because with the ELD plugged in, the alternator sometimes goes into low charge mode under light load like it did with the US PCM. But with the ELD unplugged, the alternator always stays in high charge mode. So the PCM at least recognizes the ELD input. My guess is that due to different emissions regulations, JDM PCMs aren’t programmed to recognize some faults, like ELD or EGR problems.
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

MY alternator will approach 20 volts at redline full fielded. You should minimum add something like a vr 125 voltage regulator so you can drive 30 minutes at highway rpm without frying things.

Is your battery larger than oem? Is your alternator goodoodand pulled correctly? lt sounds like you're creating band-aid fixes for problems you already somehow created.
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
MY alternator will approach 20 volts at redline full fielded. You should minimum add something like a vr 125 voltage regulator so you can drive 30 minutes at highway rpm without frying things.

Is your battery larger than oem? Is your alternator goodoodand pulled correctly? lt sounds like you're creating band-aid fixes for problems you already somehow created.
Are you saying that running in high charge mode constantly will fry things? I don’t understand that. My alternator tested good, and it’s a 160 amps. It’ll maintain 14 volts even at idle under full load, which is awesome. My battery is larger than OEM. It’s an Optima Yellowtop 34. I don’t see why that’s a problem though.
Old 11-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

read again,

MY alternator will approach 20 volts at redline full fielded.
you might want to check that this wont occur, bad stuff will happen otherwise
Old 11-06-2018

Thanks. I know that the car the PCM is from had EGR because the harness that the PCM came with had an EGR plug. I also presume that the car it’s from has an ELD because with the ELD plugged in, the alternator sometimes goes into low charge mode under light load like it did with the US PCM. But with the ELD unplugged, the alternator always stays in high charge mode. So the PCM at least recognizes the ELD input. My guess is that due to different emissions regulations, JDM PCMs aren’t programmed to recognize some faults, like ELD or EGR problems.
Cars sold in other markets (countries) only have to meet regulations for the markets they are sold in. For all I know some markets don't follow the same OBD2 standardization we are used to seeing on cars in the US, so they don't even have the usual plug we would expect here.

Running without ELD is nothing like full fielding. He won't really hurt anything.

Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
read again,

you might want to check that this wont occur, bad stuff will happen otherwise
I never full fielded my alternator, so I don’t know how many volts it would produce when full fielded. However, the maximum voltage that it’ll produce with the ELD unplugged is 14.5 volts, which is completely safe. That’s actually no higher than the maximum voltage it’ll produce with the ELD plugged in.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 11-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Cars sold in other markets (countries) only have to meet regulations for the markets they are sold in. For all I know some markets don't follow the same OBD2 standardization we are used to seeing on cars in the US, so they don't even have the usual plug we would expect here.

Running without ELD is nothing like full fielding. He won't really hurt anything.
I never thought about the OBD plug being different, but that’s a great point. I looked up Japanese OBD2 standards, and I didn’t even find anything saying that cars are required to have OBD ports at all.
Old 11-06-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I never full fielded my alternator, so I don’t know how many volts it would produce when full fielded. However, the maximum voltage that it’ll produce with the ELD unplugged is 14.5 volts, which is completely safe. That’s actually no higher than the maximum voltage it’ll produce with the ELD plugged in.
so as long as you haven't messed with how the alternator performs you should be fine, unless there's some hacked together "repair" you haven't told us about yet

Last edited by Colin42; 11-08-2018 at 08:23 AM. Reason: emphasis
Old 11-08-2018
Registered!!

so as long as you haven't messed with how the alternator performs you should be fine, unless there's some hacked together "repair" you haven't told us about yet
It does mess with how the alternator performs. With the ELD plugged in, the alternator goes into “low charge” mode under light loads, only charging at 12.5 volts. But with the ELD unplugged, the alternator charges at 14-14.4 volts constantly, regardless of load. I don’t see why this would be a problem, but I thought that I better double check.
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

Re: Cheap sound system upgrade

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Yes it would. However the question is: will it make enough of a difference for it to be worth it?

We're talking about less than 50 watts over less than a 10ft long piece of wire. If you were talking about 500 watts then you would definitely want to upgrade the speaker wire.
Would checking voltage drop across the speaker wires give me any meaningful data?
Old 11-09-2018

Old 11-12-2018
Registered!!

Another interesting benefit to upgrading the power and ground wires is that the radio runs cooler. When I’d crank the volume with the factory wires, the radio would get noticibly warm to the touch. But now that I upgraded the wires, the radio barely gets warm to the touch. Kind of weird, but I guess it makes sense since the radio obviously runs more efficiently when it’s not starved for power. More efficient operation means less waste heat.
Old 11-12-2018
Registered!!

Do I need to replace my master cylinder?

So I just got done doing a drum to disc swap on my 05 Civic. I bought a conversion kit for $200 shipped to my door. I changed the proportioning valve, E brake cables, and obviously the spindle assemblies. But the person I bought the conversion kit from emailed me and told me that he suggests that I get a master cylinder from an EP3 Civic, or even better, an RSX-S for the brakes to work well. He said that those master cylinders make more pressure. Is that true? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Do I need to replace my master cylinder?

I will first assume that you are driving an LX with no ABS. What are the bore sizes of the various master cylinders? Are they the same. The RSX-S MC will have been used exclusively with ABS/VSA. It is a split diagonal hydraulic system which means that the front/rear halves of the master have the same pressures unlike old American RWD stuff. If the bore sizes are the same then you will gain absolutely nothing with a swap. Even if the bore sizes are different you likely won't ever notice a difference. Smaller/larger bores affect the amount of effort required to press the pedal the same distance. But since you are without question driving a power brake vehicle, once again you likely won't ever notice a difference.

I thought I heard you were buying a 08 SI so that all the R&D work would already be done and engineered for you.
Old 11-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
I will first assume that you are driving an LX with no ABS. What are the bore sizes of the various master cylinders? Are they the same. The RSX-S MC will have been used exclusively with ABS/VSA. It is a split diagonal hydraulic system which means that the front/rear halves of the master have the same pressures unlike old American RWD stuff. If the bore sizes are the same then you will gain absolutely nothing with a swap. Even if the bore sizes are different you likely won't ever notice a difference. Smaller/larger bores affect the amount of effort required to press the pedal the same distance. But since you are without question driving a power brake vehicle, once again you likely won't ever notice a difference.

I thought I heard you were buying a 08 SI so that all the R&D work would already be done and engineered for you.
Thanks. You are correct that my car doesn’t have ABS. So is a bigger master cylinder better in any way for a vehicle with power brakes?

Old 11-13-2018

mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. You are correct that my car doesn’t have ABS. So is a bigger master cylinder better in any way for a vehicle with power brakes?
Yes/no and probably not. Traditionally in the old days of rear disc brake conversions changing the master cylinder was a prerequisite. The reason for this was that RWD car used a front rear split on the hydraulic system with proportioning balance splits of somewhere in the neighborhood of 71%/29% with 71% biased to the front. Honda uses a diagonal split system with a 50/50 balance.

When people performed rear disc conversions on old school RWD cars they needed more pressure available to the rear than was supplied by the factory sized MC.

People who researched and studied these old systems had to make choices for pedal feel. Did they want more pedal travel and a softer pedal, did they want rock hard pedal? You have power brakes so you won't notice a difference the way an old manual brakes system car owner would.

You also have no ABS, ABS will go a very long way to mask proportioning issues. If you get the bias off then the ABS just releases and applies pressure as needed to prevent wheel slip.

If you have the correct proportioning valve for the calipers you are installing it will likely be perfectly fine. If you are truly concerned about it then you need to do research. Did into the catalogs and service information to find the master cylinder bore sizes. If the bore sizes are actually different (which I doubt) then you might gain slightly but likely won't feel a difference due to the power brake booster.

But the biggest question is why even convert to disc. The only reason I would change to rear disc on any honda was if it was part of a 5 lug conversion. Due you plan to build a rally/parking lot racer? There are factory engineers quoted on record that the only reason they ever put rear discs on something short of an race car was competitive pressure from the other auto makers. To say that again, they only went to rear disc because every else did too.
Old 11-13-2018
Registered!!

Yes/no and probably not. Traditionally in the old days of rear disc brake conversions changing the master cylinder was a prerequisite. The reason for this was that RWD car used a front rear split on the hydraulic system with proportioning balance splits of somewhere in the neighborhood of 71%/29% with 71% biased to the front. Honda uses a diagonal split system with a 50/50 balance.

When people performed rear disc conversions on old school RWD cars they needed more pressure available to the rear than was supplied by the factory sized MC.

People who researched and studied these old systems had to make choices for pedal feel. Did they want more pedal travel and a softer pedal, did they want rock hard pedal? You have power brakes so you won't notice a difference the way an old manual brakes system car owner would.

You also have no ABS, ABS will go a very long way to mask proportioning issues. If you get the bias off then the ABS just releases and applies pressure as needed to prevent wheel slip.

If you have the correct proportioning valve for the calipers you are installing it will likely be perfectly fine. If you are truly concerned about it then you need to do research. Did into the catalogs and service information to find the master cylinder bore sizes. If the bore sizes are actually different (which I doubt) then you might gain slightly but likely won't feel a difference due to the power brake booster.

But the biggest question is why even convert to disc. The only reason I would change to rear disc on any honda was if it was part of a 5 lug conversion. Due you plan to build a rally/parking lot racer? There are factory engineers quoted on record that the only reason they ever put rear discs on something short of an race car was competitive pressure from the other auto makers. To say that again, they only went to rear disc because every else did too.
Great info, thanks. I used the correct prop valve, so I should be good. Also, as for why I converted to discs, I did it because I think that rusty drums look junky, and I wanted the rear brakes to match the front, which has drilled and slotted rotors. I also hate working on drum brakes, and I needed to replace my e brake cables, 1 leaking wheel cylinder, the shoes, and the rear wheel bearings. So all those things meant that IMO, $200 to convert to discs was the better choice. You are right that it doesn’t really stop any better than it did with properly functioning drums though.
Old 11-14-2018

I can agree with replacing drums for visual effect. I have a 65 Plymouth project that I have had for 20 years and it is also in need of a total rear brake system. So I have done the same math, do I spend X number of dollars to retain drum brakes or do I just a little more and get a system that stops better and looks better. Of course since I converted that car to front disc more than a decade ago I have different bolt patterns front and rear. I pity anyone that tried to work on that car without me around. It still has the original wheel studs on the left rear wheel, which means that it has one wheel out of 4 with left handed lug nuts. How many people expect to deal with left handed lug nuts?
Old 11-15-2018
Registered!!

I can agree with replacing drums for visual effect. I have a 65 Plymouth project that I have had for 20 years and it is also in need of a total rear brake system. So I have done the same math, do I spend X number of dollars to retain drum brakes or do I just a little more and get a system that stops better and looks better. Of course since I converted that car to front disc more than a decade ago I have different bolt patterns front and rear. I pity anyone that tried to work on that car without me around. It still has the original wheel studs on the left rear wheel, which means that it has one wheel out of 4 with left handed lug nuts. How many people expect to deal with left handed lug nuts?
So should I have noticed an improvement when I converted to rear discs? I wasn't expecting the brakes to feel that different, and they don't. The biggest thing that I notice is the way the E brake feels. It feels much tighter than it ever did with the drum brake setup, even before the drum setup started having issues.
Old 11-15-2018

So should I have noticed an improvement when I converted to rear discs?
No..
Old 11-16-2018
Registered!!

No..
That's what I thought, thanks.
Old 11-16-2018
Registered!!

Re: EPS conversion pro’s and con’s?

I'll suggest you first cut your power steering belt off and find out exactly how much performance you gain before making any real decisions about converting
Great suggestion, thanks. So I took the belt off, and I think that the engine is a tiny bit more responsive without the belt on. However,it's also getting a lot cooler outside, so I can't say for sure that the performance improvement I think I'm feeling is entirely from taking the belt off the power steering pump.
Old 11-18-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: EPS conversion pro’s and con’s?

You can always elect to go manual steering and develop some Popeye forearms through parallel parking and three-point turns..
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

Trans slow to upshift

So I have a problem with my transmission. The trans seems slow to upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear at full throttle. So when I floor it on the highway, it downshifts to 2nd gear like it should. However, the trans is slow to upshift to 3rd gear. What I mean is that when the engine gets to redline, instead of upshifting to 3rd gear, the trans usually stays in 2nd gear too long, causing the engine to hit the rev limit for 1 or 2 seconds, then it shifts to 3rd gear and continues accelerating. Sometimes when it shifts to 3rd gear, the engine surges once or twice before it engages. The fluid level is good, there are no codes, and the TPS and MAP sensor is reading correctly. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2018

Re: Trans slow to upshift

scrap it and get a car that isn't hacked together?
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

Re: Trans slow to upshift

scrap it and get a car that isn't hacked together?
My car isn't hacked together anymore. Now that I have a garage, I correctly fixed all the hack repairs that I performed.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave