Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Shaking steering wheel after suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbroyles94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaking steering wheel after suspension work

I have a 2002 Honda Civic, and I just got my car back from the mechanic after they replaced my front control arms and struts (it was reeeally needed). Ever since then, I noticed my steering wheel will vibrate when braking at high speeds. The vibrating only occurs during braking, and stops when I'm below about 40mph.

I know that this sort of thing comes from the rotor, or something, but because this only started after the suspension work, I'm wondering if they are related?
Old 08-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Shaking steering wheel after suspension work

probably just didnt notice it before because your suspension was bad
Old 08-16-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Depending on how worn out the parts that were replaced, their worn condition may have masked a need for rotors. Now that the front end is stiffer with the new parts then vibrations from "warped" rotors while braking are being felt now. Uh, that's my guess anyway. Maybe, one of the real mechanics here will chime-in with more enlightenment?
Old 08-16-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Maybe, one of the real mechanics here will chime-in with more enlightenment?
I'm kinda wondering what exactly you consider a 'real mechanic'? I have clean fingernails, so it can't be me..

Originally Posted by tbroyles94
and I just got my car back from the mechanic after they replaced
Bla bla bla.

What did your mechanic say about the new problem when you took the car back to him with the new complaint?

FYI replacing worn out suspension components can't fix any problems caused by completely unrelated components (brake rotors)

Yes there's a possibility it's related (maybe a chunk of rust got wedged between the rotor and hub or something), but there's also the possibility it was there all along and you did not notice it until now.

Old 08-17-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
I'm kinda wondering what exactly you consider a 'real mechanic'? I have clean fingernails, so it can't be me
IMO a "real mechanic" is someone that's knows what they're talking about at least 90% of the time concerning car repairs. I don't fall into that category