My baby gets new shoes! - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels, Tires & Brakes Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

My baby gets new shoes!

Old 01-09-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Smile My baby gets new shoes!

Yesterday, I went to my local Discount Tire and I bought a set of Michelin Premier A/S tires for my baby. I was extremely unhappy with the Barum tires that they replaced, so Discount Tire let me upgrade. I haven’t driven it yet besides 1/2 mile back home with the new tires, so I will report back when I drive it more, but I have no complaints so far. Anyways, I just figured I’d let you guys know that I got new tires. Maybe not as exciting as adding power, but my belief is that traction, suspension and brakes come first, then power. What do you think of my car’s new shoes?
Old 01-11-2018
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: My baby gets new shoes!

Did you get the rebate on them? They have good rebates on tires right now
Old 01-11-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice

Originally Posted by GusBuz View Post
Did you get the rebate on them? They have good rebates on tires right now
Yup, I got a $70 rebate.
Old 01-11-2018
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Well I'm sure anything above Barum will be an improvement! What suspension mods do you have on your civic or what mods will you be doing to it?
Old 01-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz View Post
Well I'm sure anything above Barum will be an improvement! What suspension mods do you have on your civic or what mods will you be doing to it?
Everything I did to it is under “About Me” in my profile. Not sure what other suspension mods to do. Any ideas?
Old 01-11-2018
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

god speed springs?

think on tokiko blues (HP) shocks. you might need them soon
Old 01-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
god speed springs?

think on tokiko blues (HP) shocks. you might need them soon
What do you mean? These are the springs I used:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-11-2018
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Oh I see. My KYB struts may not be happy about this. Also, do I need a camber kit? I did a 1.5 inch drop on the front and back and there seems to be no significant camber.
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

camber correction required is usually rear - too much negative camber in rear means low front grip in the corners. Car will push.
therefore, if you really like cornering, recommend reducing rear camber.

if you really like cornering, then add front camber bolts to increase front negative camber.

before all that, recommend finding a RSX rear anti-roll bar and slapping it in (very easy).

RSX-S is even beefier. better

Heck, i removed my front anti-roll bar even.

Today is a good day to go under the car to swap it, right? (I guess youn already have the snow there )
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

camber correction required is usually rear - too much negative camber in rear means low front grip in the corners. Car will push.

if you really like cornering, then add front camber bolts to increase front negative camber.

before all that, recommend finding a RSX rear anti-roll bar and slapping it in (very easy).

Today is a good day to go under the car to swap it, right? (I guess youn already have the snow there )
Isn't the RSX rear sway bar 19MM instead of the stock 12MM? Couldn't I use an EP3 sway bar too? Would I notice any improvement in handling? Also, why would I take off the front sway bar instead of upgrading it? As for the camber, what reasonably priced front and rear camber kit would you recommend? As I understand it, the front camber kit is just cam bolts for the front struts, but the rear camber kit is a different upper control arm. Am I correct? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

don't know what bar is in EP3. RSX is 19 or 21 (s-type)
FWD cars problem is understeer (push). even with smaller rear camber, progress rear anti-roll bar (24mm) and higher front camber, no front anti-roll bar, my car still pushes.

I don't know what is around now, i put the ingalls front and skunk2 rear, but there are more suppliers now - shop around
just be careful with no-name stuff, you don't want suspension parts to suddenly go on you.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

don't know what bar is in EP3. RSX is 19 or 21 (s-type)
FWD cars problem is understeer (push). even with smaller rear camber, progress rear anti-roll bar (24mm) and higher front camber, no front anti-roll bar, my car still pushes.

I don't know what is around now, i put the ingalls front and skunk2 rear, but there are more suppliers now - shop around
just be careful with no-name stuff, you don't want suspension parts to suddenly go on you.
Thanks. Just curious- If the front sway bar makes handling worse, why does Honda spend the money putting it on? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

Drivers get anxious when car rolls more.

It's uncomfortable, sure, but faster without the bar in front.

When I softened front shocks all the way down, I thought I was slower at an autoX event, but clock said 1sec faster in 70sec course.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Drivers get anxious when car rolls more.

It's uncomfortable, sure, but faster without the bar in front.

When I softened front shocks all the way down, I thought I was slower at an autoX event, but clock said 1sec faster in 70sec course.
Thanks for explaining. What do you think of strut bars?
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

they improve steering feel. you will know what the tires are doing. maybe will improve your confidence due to that effect. no performance improvements, except for knowing what the tires are really doing.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

they improve steering feel. you will know what the tires are doing. maybe will improve your confidence due to that effect. no performance improvements, except for knowing what the tires are really doing.
I'm not racing it lol. I just want it to handle well.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

What is the disadvantage to upgrading the rear sway bar?
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

what do you mean disadvantage?
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

what do you mean disadvantage?
What would potential negative effects could a bigger rear sway bar cause?
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

again, what disadvantages?

maybe the fact you will need new poly bushings

only thing comes to mind is if it gets to the 1" level, it could rip the chassis - that why it have reinforced frame for the progress bar - but again, what disadvantages?
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

again, what disadvantages?

maybe the fact you will need new poly bushings

only thing comes to mind is if it gets to the 1" level, it could rip the chassis - that why it have reinforced frame for the progress bar - but again, what disadvantages?
Why did Honda not do it do it the factory besides increased cost? Does it increase NVH or something?
Old 01-12-2018
Super Moderator

why so angry at honda?

most drivers would not like an oversteering car. most can only handle cars that go straight when overcooking a corner. oversteering cars will spin, getting out of control to average drivers. common knowledge about average cars.
a mustang is quite understeering also for the safety of average drivers.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

why so angry at honda?

most drivers would not like an oversteering car. most can only handle cars that go straight when overcooking a corner. oversteering cars will spin, getting out of control to average drivers. common knowledge about average cars.
a mustang is quite understeering also for the safety of average drivers.
So if I install a bigger rear sway bar, the car would be more likely to oversteer? I thought you said your car still understeers with the larger sway bar? Sorry, I'm confused.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

why so angry at honda?
I'm not angry at Honda, I was just wondering if cost was the only reason that they used such a small sway bar.
Old 01-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light

because its designed to be a grocery getter, not a performance car
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

That is what I was gonna say also, the rear sway from an rsx type s. Beefier for better cornering.

As for Honda putting such a small sway bar to begin with, lets just be glad that there IS one on there lol. Also grocery getters don't need to be sport tuned like colin said, honda didn't have a reason to put a bigger one on there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.