Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Changing Caliper, Mounting Bolt Stuck, Can Change Caliper But Keep The Bracket (So I

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Changing Caliper, Mounting Bolt Stuck, Can Change Caliper But Keep The Bracket (So I

change right front caliper for 02 honda civic.
caliper has two component: moving part, and the bracket (attached to hub).

the mounting bolt stuck and I can't take out the bracket. I wonder if I can use the bracket from old part, and only replace the moving part (which I have already taken out).

Many thanks!
Old 09-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing Caliper, Mounting Bolt Stuck, Can Change Caliper But Keep The Bracket (S

Yes.

But if you have a new bracket in your hands, you may as well get the old one off the car now. Break off the stuck bolt and replace it if you have to.
Old 09-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing Caliper, Mounting Bolt Stuck, Can Change Caliper But Keep The Bracket (S

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes.

But if you have a new bracket in your hands, you may as well get the old one off the car now. Break off the stuck bolt and replace it if you have to.
hi ezone,

thank you for your quick response, as always.

I will let it idle for 24 hours see if the chemical will penetrate in
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

the bracket attached to the hub rarely ever needs to be replaced,

why do you need to replace that?
Old 09-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
the bracket attached to the hub rarely ever needs to be replaced,

why do you need to replace that?
In the future, if it has to be broken off to get it apart, he won't have a new bracket handy:

If he ever needs to take the rotors off, or replace a wheel bearing

If the slide pins seize up....... even if they aren't stuck now they may in the future

If the bracket is rusted enough to make the pads bind