Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

need new tires for 2001 Honda Civic EX

Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
need new tires for 2001 Honda Civic EX

What should I buy for my civic that will last and wear and what size
Old 04-12-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need new tires for 2001 Honda Civic EX

what size rim? What kinda driving conditions?
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

standard rims - what came with the car
and normal every day driving
Old 04-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

also, budget?

And driving conditions, I guess I should've been a bit more specific. All season, summer performance, live in a particularly wet location *coughcoughPNWcoughcough*, etc?
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

did not realize this was a tough question
All season tire- Just a general good tire
Old 04-12-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

2001 Civic EX stock tire size is 185/65/R15

Most places charge more for higher mileage rated tires (60k miles or more). However, even with regulary scheduled rotations, balancing and alignments tires usually do not last past 50k miles. Another thing to consider is installation fees and optional warranty: mounting, balanced, valve stems, road hazard warranty, disposal fee (old tires), and state fees on new tires.

Buying on line can possibly be cheaper than a local tire shops when comparison pricing. However, you have to keep in mind taxes, shipping fees and installation fees as mentioned above. When you call local shops they generally give an out-the-door price (tires, intallation, disposal and sometimes warranty). make sure you have them break down the cost of each and especially the base price of the tire.

There's a shitload of brands to choose from and so you'll probably want to research and read a lot of reviews. Here's a link to things to consider when purchasing tires: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/buying-guide

Here's a few mid-grade (brands) tires that I've used. They generally are not the least or most expensive, typically have good reviews, and have been in business for at least 10 years:

Nexen. Falken. Nitto. Kumho. Toyo.
Old 04-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been happy with the tires that are on the car, get more of the same?
Old 04-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Discount tire does price match if you find them cheaper shipped online
Old 05-21-2017
Registered!!

TexasTom is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW, I just replaced 5 tires on my '04 Civic, I put Goodyear Assurance 195/70R14s on and they smoothed out the ride and eliminated a great deal of the noises associated with spooling up to speed on the highway. The tires clear all the wheel wells nicely and are a super smooth and quiet ride. Sam's club currently has an $80 off deal, basically you buy 3 tires and the 4th one is free, or almost so. I was out the door with 4 brand new tires installed with road hazard warranty and everything for less than $400.
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

I had a front falken develop bulged treads (broken steel belts) so I replaced both fronts with cheap douglas tires from walmart. 10k miles later it happened to a rear falken so I replaced both rears with the same douglas tires (rotating new tires to front though) They're just as quiet and have been perfectly fine for about 15k miles now.

My goodyears did it on a different car as well. I'm developing the mindset that "if it's not a very high grade/price tire, it's probably just as prone to failure as the cheapies"
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

must be same china manufacturer of tires)
Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

VTEC2002Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I just put a set of four Continental TrueContact 185/65-15's on my 2002 Civic EX. They have really smoothed out the ride and dulled the road noise compared to my old tires and have a long treadwear warranty. They are not performance tires, but ride very well.

My car previously had a set of General Altimax RT43 tires that I do NOT recommend. I only got 21,700 miles out of them before they were at the wear bars.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread