Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake Caliper pins

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Brake Caliper pins

Alright I have searched and found nothing on this.

Last weekend i changed my brake pads and rotors. As I was trying to loosen the caliper pin bolts they would just keep spinning. I got a closer look and saw that the whole pin would spin. I know that on most cars the pin gets stuck on the caliper with some grooves that are on it, and get stuck with the little flat part of the pin. I ended up using a wrench to hold on to the pin so it would let the bolt loosen. I did this also when tightening it down.

Is this normal on our cars? Because from all the different brakes I have done I had not had this happen to me.
Old 07-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Caliper pins

I ended up using a wrench to hold on to the pin so it would let the bolt loosen. I did this also when tightening it down.

Is this normal on our cars?
Sometimes that's necessary, yes.
Did you clean the corrosion off of the small bolts before reinstalling?
Old 07-21-2016
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

The bolts looked clean and shiny when they came out, but i gave em a wipedown because they had some white powdery stuff on them.

Also saw dust boots were torn on the caliper pistons, I will install some new ones soon.
Old 07-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The slide pins are supposed to be free to slide (and spin) in their holes, so if the threaded parts are a little snug they will cause the pins to spin. White stuff on the threads, I would probably use a wire brush to clean it off the threads.
Some slide pins have 2 flat sides, others have 6, some are completely round. Sometimes you just gotta to do what you gotta do to take them apart.

I like to lube the slide pins with silicone grease, it seems to last a lot longer than moly grease or the original grease the factory used.

Torn boots are bad, do take care of that. Water and dirt getting in can cause damage in short order, if it hasn't already.
Check the boots on the slide pins too.
Old 07-21-2016
Registered!!

Will do, thanks Ezone