Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Replacing rotors and brake pads together?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
user 73802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing rotors and brake pads together?

Hi there guys,

I am having a problem. I read several thread, but none of them asked the question that I have for this project so I am posting this new thread. My rotors are warped so I need to replace them. My steering wheels shake when braking at high speed or downhill. I will go with the recommendation (that I saw a several threads) to buy the Honda rotors and I found the best price at Majestic Honda. There is one question that I need help with before ordering my parts. I checked the brake pads and they are still good so the question is:

Do I replace ONLY the rotors?
or
Do I replace rotors AND pads?

Please advice
Old 07-07-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Replacing rotors and brake pads together?

You should replace the pads as well, especially if the rotors are warped. The pads usually wear funny when used on a warped rotor, putting the used pads on a new rotor would probably cause uneven wear.
Old 07-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

For best results immediately, do both at the same time. Fresh pads and rotors will break in quickly together.

But you don't HAVE to do both at the same time. Pads will eventually settle in against the new rotors, but it may take some miles with many stops before your braking power returns to 100% efficiency.
Old 07-07-2016
Banned

Originally Posted by Colin42
You should replace the pads as well, especially if the rotors are warped. The pads usually wear funny when used on a warped rotor, putting the used pads on a new rotor would probably cause uneven wear.

Thank you for the answer. I was trying to change only the rotors, but I will do both at the same time.
Old 07-07-2016
Banned

Originally Posted by ezone
For best results immediately, do both at the same time. Fresh pads and rotors will break in quickly together.

But you don't HAVE to do both at the same time. Pads will eventually settle in against the new rotors, but it may take some miles with many stops before your braking power returns to 100% efficiency.

Thank you for your help!!

Will it keep shaking white the old pads settle in againts the new rotors?
Old 07-07-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.58.A
Thank you for your help!!

Will it keep shaking white the old pads settle in againts the new rotors?
No. Rotors cause the shake, not the pads.

If the rotors are true (flat) and the hub flange the rotors mount on is also true, then there should be zero vibration.
(But if something causes the rotor to not sit flat against the hub, such as rust buildup, that can cause vibration)

In the shop we resurface rotors without replacing pads, no problem-- as long as there weren't deep grooves in the friction surfaces.
Old 07-07-2016
Banned

If the rotors are true (flat) and the hub flange the rotors mount on is also true, then there should be zero vibration.
(But if something causes the rotor to not sit flat against the hub, such as rust buildup, that can cause vibration)

In the shop we resurface rotors without replacing pads, no problem-- as long as there weren't deep grooves in the friction surfaces.
Excellent... All you have said makes sense. THANK YOU!! I am ready to start my project. I am ordering the rotors this weekend.

Also, yesterday when I removed the front left wheel to visually check the rotors and pads I also checked for a noise that I hear when the vibration occurs (noise is happening only in the left side). I found that the axle is the one making the noise. I grabbed it and shake/moved it around and it was making the noise like it is a little loose.... What does that mean? Is the axle bad and needs replacing also?
Old 07-07-2016

I grabbed it and shake/moved it around and it was making the noise like it is a little loose....
I can't see what you are doing.
A CV axle does have to be able to move, but I can't see what you are seeing nor hear what you heard while driving.

Usually if the CV boots are not split open and flinging grease all over the place they are quiet. Rare to have other failures, but again I don't know what your situation is.
Old 01-05-2017
Banned

Hi there,

So I few things happened and I postponed this project, but I am finally doing this over the weekend.

I got everything already (purchased Brembo Blanks) so I am replacing just the rotors since my pads still have quite a lot to go. I hope that with the new rotors ONLY the vibration will stop.

I will come back to this thread to post an update in case someone is having the same issue with the vibration.

Greetings