Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

just got wheels

Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bhollie is an unknown quantity at this point
just got wheels

aftermarket.. 15 inch.. can I use my tires off my stock rims and be ok? they are 195/65/15s... or I have a set of 195/60 15 ,, the new wheels have 195/50 on them now but I don't want them to look too small because im not lowering it for now... I have to drive it a lot and don't want the ride to be too rough...

any advice please? thanks
Old 09-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: just got wheels

15 inch.. can I use my tires off my stock rims and be ok? they are 195/65/15s... or I have a set of 195/60 15
Using the stock tires would keep the speedometer and odometer accuracy the same as it is now (assuming 195-65-15 is stock size)

The 195-60 would be a little shorter and the speedo reading would be off by a small percentage from actual speed.
The 195-50 are shorter yet, as you noticed. Even more speedo error.
Old 09-22-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It should look the same as stock, just with a different look within the rubber.

The only analogy I can think of: Double stuffed regular oreos and double stuffed mint oreos look the same, just with a different cream filling.

edit: to tag onto ezone's comment, if you were to upgrade to larger diameter rims, you'd wanna get tires to match, or match as closely to, the stock overall diameter.For my car, stock was 185/65-15's, and my 17" rims are wrapped with 215/45-17's. It's as close a match as I could get, and my speedometer is only off by 0.2% due to the 0.15" overall diameter increase (0.47" increase in circumference), a negligible difference at best.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 09-22-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bhollie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks.. so having a slightly wider wheels wont make the tire height much less? and if I lower it...it is it better to go with the shorter tire so it wont rub?
Old 09-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhollie
slightly wider wheels

and if I lower it...
Funny, you didn't mention this stuff.

About the time we say it'll be ok is when we will find out you are gonna try to stretch the tires onto some 12 inch wide wheels trynnabe hellaflush.

How much wider?
What's the offset?
How much different is it from the original?
Measure both and compare.
Bolt them on and see.
Keep all the tires in case you need them later.
Old 09-22-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Tire width will indirectly change the overall tire diameter. It's the whole 195/50 part. 195 is the treadwidth in mm, 50 denotes that the sidewall is 50% of the treadwidth. That said, if you go to something like 205/50, the sidewall will now be 5mm larger, giving the tire an overall diameter increase of 1cm