Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Restoring Stock Hubcaps / Wheel Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BootyDo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Restoring Stock Hubcaps / Wheel Covers

Hi All,

My gf's due for a set of new tires badly. Before we do that, I figured I'd take off the wheel covers/ hubcaps and paint the stock black steel with that "Satin Black" after washing them down. That way no worries on any overspray or being all OCD about new tires getting messy. While I was at it, I figured I'd buy new wheel covers but new OEM's can run like 40 bucks! So I watched this video from Hubcaps.com:
http://www.hubcaps.org/videos/restore-hubcaps.html

Looks simple enough for sure. Question is, has anyone had any experience with the "Dull Aliminum Spray Paint" they're talking about? I found one made by Krylon but some reviews mention it's super bright. That might mean redoing the entire wheel covers. I only have 2 jack stands so doing this one axle at a time could be really time consuming if the color doesn't blend well and I have to sand everything, prime, paint, and protect each hubcap entirely.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 07-05-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Restoring Stock Hubcaps / Wheel Covers

They make a plastic Dupli-Color wheel coating. I just grabbed silver. Perfect flatter look that was on the covers on my older Civic. Little scrub down, little fine steel wool. Far from perfect but from a distance looked brand new. Used the dull aluminum spray when I redid the kitchen. All the new apliances had brushed handles. Fond matching pulls for the cabinet doors but nothing to match the hinge dents without painting or replacing all the cabinet doors. Used the dull aluminum spray on all those hinges. Saved $1000s and they have held up well. It leaves a texture that hides well to, so sure it would do wheels well. Need to do my peeling wheel centers on my 04 Tacoma but just too darn lazy.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 07-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

BootyDo is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Restoring Stock Hubcaps / Wheel Covers

Thanks Ripsaw! Funny you mentioned door hinges b/c I was actually thinking of testing this on another application first to see the finished results: the ash catcher on my Weber. There's a hint of rust on some spots and I was thinking of giving it a good scrub and apply the dull alimininum on that to see the color once it's all set. Might come out a shade different on metal as opposed to unprimed plastic, (assuming I just target the scuffed areas on the wheel covers like the video), but this seems worth doing.

And for what it's worth, I stand corrected on the wheel covers. Stock are "only" $25 apiece at Rock Auto. I don't want to spend $100 on a new set of plastic, but maybe going at this on one is pretty good later this Summer. And if so, a DIY is in order!