Removing Spinning 17mm Bolts on Front Brake Caliper Mount - Honda Civic Forum

Wheels, Tires & Brakes Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2015   #1  
DAC
Registered!!

DAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing Spinning 17mm Bolts on Front Brake Caliper Mount

I've been trying to completely replace the brakes on my 2002 Civic LX. I succeeded with the brake shoes and drums in the rear and the passenger side brake rotor and pads.

On the driver's side, I managed to remove the caliper and the pads. However, after loosening the two 17 mm bolts for the caliper mount, I found that the bolts just spin without coming out.

I've sprayed it with both WD-40 penetrating oil and then PB Blaster.

The brake rotor is still in place, and I can't access the other side.

I've tried sockets, bolt extracting sockets, box and convential wrenches, pliers (moving it back and forth, etc.), and tapping a small screwdriver between the bolt head and the caliper, but nothing has worked.

Any ideas? Should I try a drill with a screw/bolt attachment, a drill with a cutting wheel attachment, or a tap and die set next?

Thanks in advance.
DAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #2  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Removing Spinning 17mm Bolts on Front Brake Caliper Mount

Quote:
However, after loosening the two 17 mm bolts for the caliper mount, I found that the bolts just spin without coming out.
Threads stripped, now bolts spin free but can't back out?

Got a pic?

My guess without being able to see it up close:
Get the rotor popped loose so the bracket can move outward when you get the bolt heads cut off
Cut the heads off the bad bolts,
then try to slide the bracket out?
ezone is online now   Reply With Quote