Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Bought a used civic and came with these wheels. I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bo_red will become famous soon enough
Bought a used civic and came with these wheels. I need some help

Hello everyone,.

I bought a used civic (01, LX, 190K miles) yesterday, and it came with these wheels

1. First question is does it seem I need to put in more air into the tire?

Question 2. What kind of wheel/rim/tires combination is this? Where do I go to find new tires? Do they cost more?

Tires have these settings on them

http://imgur.com/Y0sWs21,OZXJWaG,dWVZkE5,rmglubk#2

which states, max load 615 kg(1355 lbs) at 340 kPa

Question 3. I'm, guessing refers to the weight the tires can handle?

http://imgur.com/Y0sWs21,OZXJWaG,dWVZkE5,rmglubk#3

which states, 215/45ZR17 91W M+ S

Question 4. What doe these numbers and things mean?

Thanks all in advance for any tips and information.

Complete newbie here.
Old 04-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bought a used civic and came with these wheels. I need some help

Originally Posted by bo_red
Hello everyone,.
Hello. I removed the other post.

Let me hotlink the pics

I bought a used civic (01, LX, 190K miles) yesterday, and it came with these wheels

1. First question is does it seem I need to put in more air into the tire?
More air than what?

How much pressure is in them now?
What is the stock pressure spec on the door jamb sticker?

Question 2. What kind of wheel/rim/tires combination is this? Where do I go to find new tires? Do they cost more?
Someone spent a few dollars on this set of wheels and tires.
Anyplace that sells tires.
Tirerack.com online would be a place to check out prices and brands.
Yes they might cost a little more than the stock size tires..... but you don't need to buy more tires until these need to be replaced. Do these need to be replaced?

Tires have these settings on them

which states, max load 615 kg(1355 lbs) at 340 kPa

Question 3. I'm, guessing refers to the weight the tires can handle?
Not the weight limit for a set of 4.

Weight limit for each tire @ that air pressure stated (50 PSI).
50 is the max pressure the tire is designed to handle. You do not have to air the tires to 50. You probably should not air the tires that high at all.

which states, 215/45ZR17 91W M+ S

Question 4. What doe these numbers and things mean?
215/45ZR17 is the dimensions of the tire:

215mm tread width,
45% sidewall aspect ratio,
"Z" speed rating
"R" Radial tire
17 inch wheel diameter
91W service description, load index and speed rating
M+S Mud and snow tread pattern

More info: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 04-09-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

Thank you very much for the help. Ok I understand what to do now.

Yes, tired are pretty worn... It's pretty dark outside now, but I'll try to take a picture of the tread wear tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

ok I took the pictures of the tires.

Driver's side front

Driver's side rear

Passenger side front

Passenger side rear

It seems to me the passenger side front tire is almost bald. How long do I have before I have to worry?

edit,. I can't seem to figure out how to hotlink the images... My apologies for being an idiot.
Old 04-10-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The law says 2/32 inch tread depth minimum.
Also note if the "wear bars" are showing, it's time to replace. Look it up.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.

Let's say I wanted to sell these rims and tires on craigslist, what price range should I be looking at?
Old 04-10-2015
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you will get a whole lot for those honestly. The center of the rim has corrosion and the tires are warn right. Maybe a couple hundred bucks.. maybe.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Ok. yes they're are rusted in the middle. I was quoted about 220 for replacing front 2 tired which i think are the most problematic.

I'm trying to figure out if selling these and then getting normal wheels/tires will be cheaper or just changing the front two wheels.
Old 04-10-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I guess it depends on what your budget is. Running mismatched tires (2 front 2 back) is never a great idea. You could try and find a set (4) of tires used through something like Kijiji or Craigslist. I've gone to my local wreckers also and just left my name and # telling them what I'm looking for. I bought a really awesome set of winters (Toyo Observe) from the wreckers 4 years ago on rims for $340. I just bought new (nothing special) alloy wheels and tires for $1100.

I looked at a set of immaculate Konig 5 spoke rims with bald tires through Kijiji and they ended up going for $250. The place that just did my new tires told me they charge $100 to peel the old tires (4) off.

Last edited by Stock 99; 04-11-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2015

Does the previous owner still have the stock wheels and tires? It's worth asking about.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Ok Thanks to both of you I've learned a lot. I'll be heading to the local junkyard for the 04-05 civic center console as mine doesn't have it or an armrest and after searching about it, i guess those fit my 2001 civic lx.

I'll have to also ask them about normal wheels/tires and see if they want to trade.. What's the normal tire/wheel spec for my 2001 civic lx?

I've asked the previouis owner, and he doesn't have them anymore.

So my options are change the front two and rotate the rear two with alignment (they're a re worn at an angle).

or, sell these rims and use the money for 4 sets of normal factory wheels/tires.

and
Old 04-10-2015

Original sizes according to my Honda USA parts catalog (I expect Canada to use the same)

LX: 14 X 5 1/2 with P185/70R14
EX: 15 X 6 with P185/65R15

A set in either size will work fine on your car.
Prices are probably very close to each other.
15 inch wheels probably would give more selection for tire choices.
Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Thank you. I'm in the US. California. Central valley. What was the reason Lx was 14 as opposed to 15 for the ex?
Old 04-11-2015

What was the reason Lx was 14 as opposed to 15 for the ex?
Probably price, as LX was the cheaper car.
Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

I see. I paid 3000. Did i pay too much?
Old 04-12-2015
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's very hard to tell if you paid too much. Price varies greatly depending on what country your in. The model, miles, condition, etc. We would need a lot of information on your car and your location to give you an accurate measurement of worth. You will however get tons of opinions from people who know what the car could be worth in their area... Which isn't always accurate for where you are.

Aluminum does not rust. It corrodes. What you have there is some corrosion (oxidization mostly caused by salt).
Old 04-15-2015
Registered!!

Ok. Thank you.

Also, I went to a different places for tires and the best price was given by a used tire shop who had 205/15/17 tires. They said they'll do it for $35 for front 2 installed.

Is that safe to get a thinner tires for the rim?
Old 04-15-2015

Ideally all 4 should be identical sizes. This gets important if the car has ABS.
If not identical, then they do need to match rolling diameters.

If you want to put narrower tires on, you need to see if the width of the wheel will be OK for the width of the tire.

Also, used tires are used. How much tread life is remaining on them? Is it really worth it?

Last edited by ezone; 04-16-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

It seems to me the passenger side front tire is almost bald. How long do I have before I have to worry?
you don't have tread left, the first rain it will be a goner, so hurry to get good tires/wheels.
I see. I paid 3000. Did i pay too much?
go to some site that tells you what it is worth, but be honest on the condition of the car. K books?

Also, I went to a different places for tires and the best price was given by a used tire shop who had 205/15/17 tires. They said they'll do it for $35 for front 2 installed.
there's no 205/15/17 tires. follow the tirerack link given to you previously and read in there before doing a wrong decision again the tires are your only solid contact point between the car and the world - would you want them to fail? that would help you in actually asking smart questions before you shame yourself asking them in here....

did you account for the money needed for the tires/wheels before buying the car? (this is the other wrong decision i mentioned previously...)

you got here by searching in the internet. use that same method and search and research before asking. saves you from a lot of "asking dumb questions" included before you buy the car.

I sound harsh. No... It's not... I am actually giving good advice.
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Fair enough. I'm just not very good at cars and only bought this because initially the guy was trying to sell it off at 3900, and I took it down to 3000. And the tire size was supposed to be 205/45/17.

I'm in the middle of trying to sell the current rims off, so I can pay for decent factory setting wheels and tires.
Old 04-19-2015
Registered!!

Just to update you guys, I went to modesto and got 2 practically new tires for the front. $90 installed. and they gave me the key for the lugs which i didn't even have.

Now I have another question after doing some searches online i found following website.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...0R14/215-45R17

What kind of damages do the larger size tires do to the car? I do have ABS and automatic transmission on it.

Considering the car has 190K miles already, have these larger(24.62 inches as opposed to 24.20 inches on the stock wheel/tire) tires already did their damages?
Old 04-19-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

No your good...the tire calculator is showing that the tires are almost virtually the same size and at 60 mph there is only a 1.74% difference between the new and stock tire. I don't know if there's any effect on the ABS but I'm sure ezone can comment on that.

Just keep in mind that mix 'n' match tires are not the best. When it rains be careful.

EDIT: Now that I've thought about that...

Originally Posted by ezone
Ideally all 4 should be identical sizes. This gets important if the car has ABS.
If not identical, then they do need to match rolling diameters.
When we thought you were talking about putting different size tires on front to back ezone was saying that it would mess with your ABS...as long as all your tires are the same size you should be OK.

Last edited by Stock 99; 04-20-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2015

I think less than 2% difference in rolling diameter will probably be ok.

JMO.
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

Thanks to all who replied.