Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

03 SI. rear rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damname can only hope to improve
03 SI. rear rotor question

I i had to change my rear brakes and noticed that the inner pad on the drivers side has a wear pattern that is sloped toward the squealer. the rest of the pads are in great condition... not sure why but...

the rotor is loose. it fell off the car when i got the caliper off. it is the same for the other rear rotor too. i guess normally there are screws that hold the rotor to the car...but there gone. my question is, is this by design? or is this someones mistake....and is this related to the weird wear on the inner brake pad?

thanks
Old 05-13-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 SI. rear rotor question

The rotor bolts are there by design, however after assembly they serve no function. They are basically there to hold the rotor in place while the car travels through the factory to get completed. It's actually the lug nuts that hold the rotor fully in place. The pad being worn unevenly could be lots of things but usually turn out to be the calipers. Check the hub surface and make sure it's clean. If the rotor is free after you remove the caliper bonus, because usually it's rusted on !!!
Old 05-13-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
The rotor bolts are there by design, however after assembly they serve no function. They are basically there to hold the rotor in place while the car travels through the factory to get completed. It's actually the lug nuts that hold the rotor fully in place. The pad being worn unevenly could be lots of things but usually turn out to be the calipers. Check the hub surface and make sure it's clean. If the rotor is free after you remove the caliper bonus, because usually it's rusted on !!!

i have been trying and trying to get the pistons pushed back into the caliper with a c clamp...but they wont budge at all. so im taking it that both calipers are bad? never have i changed brakes and the piston wouldnt push back at all. i do have the cap off the brake cups. maybe i gotta do it a different way? i even took out the bleeding valves (rusted shut) and tried to push it back in but still nothing.
Old 05-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You will ruin the rear calipers with a C clamp.
The pistons screw in.
I suggest you get a good service manual before you damage something.

Some unequal pad wear is acceptable. Some may not be ok. It just depends.
They don't always wear perfectly even, for a variety of reasons.
I'm in the rust belt.... pads get bound up by rust, caliper slide pins get bound up, etc.

For example, this is pretty normal for me to see
Name:  qmVDWTx.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  292.8 KB
Old 05-13-2014
Registered!!

yea i figured that out about 3 minutes after i posted it...who needs a manual when ya got the net and experienced forum people jk ill get one soon enough..the brake job is done.
Old 05-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, darn, so the honda rear calipers are like the miata's? screw behind caliper to pull them back in?
Old 05-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
oh, darn, so the honda rear calipers are like the miata's? screw behind caliper to pull them back in?
No, the piston itself has to be turned. No separate screw to retract it.

HTH
Old 05-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

even worse, then...
Old 05-13-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
even worse, then...

no no it wasnt so bad! i used a wood chisel with attached vise grips on it to screw them back in. it was pretty easy actually!
Old 05-14-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

ah, no i meant they could have a different design, easier...

it's pretty common in the miata forums for people coming and asking the same question.