Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Recommend budget aftermarket rotors + brake pads - 2003 Honda Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abhijitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommend budget aftermarket rotors + brake pads - 2003 Honda Civic LX

Looking for aftermarket front rotors + brake pads. The OEM ones are a tad expensive. This car is only a commute car and i am a grandpa when driving on freeways

I was reading on Brembo blanks, but there are some cheaper ones too on ebay and amazon. Dont really want to go that cheap and affect longevity.

Please advice.
Old 03-06-2014

Re: Recommend budget aftermarket rotors + brake pads - 2003 Honda Civic LX

So after doing some research here and at Amazon, came across Brembo 25331. Anyone has feedback on mileage life on these? .... Still researching on brake pads.

Last edited by abhijitz; 03-06-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i would never go cheap on rotors, they will warp in no time, if you want to go cheap, go cheap on pads, but never on rotors,

i went with wagner thermo quiet pads and ATE rotors about two years ago, and have been very happy with them,

here are the rotors......

http://www.ate-na.com/www/ate_us_en/...rotors_us.html
Old 03-06-2014

Thanks for your suggestion. Are these the pads?

Wagner ThermoQuiet QC465A Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Front : Amazon.com : Automotive Wagner ThermoQuiet QC465A Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Front : Amazon.com : Automotive

Bremobo rotors - no good?

Originally Posted by mikey1
i would never go cheap on rotors, they will warp in no time, if you want to go cheap, go cheap on pads, but never on rotors,

i went with wagner thermo quiet pads and ATE rotors about two years ago, and have been very happy with them,

here are the rotors......

http://www.ate-na.com/www/ate_us_en/...rotors_us.html
Old 03-06-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You can buy OEM pads and rotors online for pretty cheap.

Check out majestic Honda

I went with OEM pads, and platinum rotors from pep boys.
Old 03-06-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by abhijitz
Thanks for your suggestion. Are these the pads?

Wagner ThermoQuiet QC465A Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Front : Amazon.com : Automotive

Bremobo rotors - no good?
yes those are the pads i used
Old 03-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

this is probably the best for budget minded.
http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motors...nomy-brake.cfm
Old 03-06-2014

Ya, i usually use hondapartscheap (because they are local and 30% discounted), still the rotors are coming to 125$. Is it recommended to just stick with the OEMs for longevity ?

Originally Posted by GolNat
You can buy OEM pads and rotors online for pretty cheap.

Check out majestic Honda

I went with OEM pads, and platinum rotors from pep boys.
Old 03-06-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I stuck with OEM pads for longevity and because I know they won't make any noise.
Old 03-06-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Could recommend those Dezod ones.
The Brembo blanks have a huge tendency to be rust prone, regardless of where you live.
Old 03-07-2014
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

brembo isn't what they used to be.
Old 03-07-2014

Are these Centric standard rotors any good?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html
Old 03-07-2014
Registered!!

Are these Centric standard rotors any good?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html

i think you might have missed my first post, so i will repost it for you.....

Old 03-07-2014

No, i did not miss it. Just confused across brands. ATE, Brembo, StopTech, Centric. then on the forum i read StopTech = Centric {could be different centric?}

On my earlier 1993 i just bought cheap of rotors from ebay, used for 20K miles and sold it. This one is going to stay for a while.

Where did you buy the ATE from?

Originally Posted by mikey1
i think you might have missed my first post, so i will repost it for you.....
Old 03-07-2014
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Check prices at your local parts store. One step up from their bottom line is probably just fine.
Old 03-08-2014
Registered!!

centric is stoptech its just different grades stoptech is there top tier product like weaver has silver,gold,platinum.
Old 03-11-2014

Dezod is asking 45$ to ship UPS Ground .. whoops !

Planning to order the Centric Premium E-Coating Rotors from Amazon and the Wagner Pads. Good reviews for the Premium E-Coating series [I believe these are the same as the StopTech ones].

Just need to figure out if i still need to use any caliper anti squeal to these pads as they claim to be quiet with no squeal noise.
Old 03-11-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^
I always antisieze all my bolts, and antisqueal all moving parts, just because.
Old 03-15-2014
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Just get some centric or whatever they have on amazon with prime. I've ran them for yeRs without a hiccup. Both my front and rear are from centric and they cost me like $20 for a front rotor.

Also, if you want really good pads without the dust which maintaining a high friction coefficient, get some axxis ULT (ultimates). They stop almost as good as hp+ but without the notice, grind, and dust.

The ULT definitely stop better than hawk HPS and hawk ceramic. I've had all them.
Old 03-18-2014

Just installed the Centric Premium rotors and Wagner ceramic pads and followed the break in procedure of driving the car to speed ~ 60mph and slow down to ~ 15mph with half braking, not stopping the car after slowing down, picking up speed again and following the same procedure 7-8 times. Let the car sit for 30 minutes and do the same procedure again.

Is it normal for these ceramic pads to smoke a lot during break in? During the second round of break in; after i came to a stop there was quite a good amount of smoke. I dont see the rotor "too much bluish" {which would indicate glazing}, but this is the first time i am using ceramic pads, hence curious
Old 03-18-2014
Registered!!

i wouldn't say smoking is normal,

to be honest i never follow the brake in procedures, i just try to be easy on the brakes for the first couple hundred miles and try to make sure i never have to slam them on hard during that time
Old 03-18-2014

Ok - i will re-check. The caliper piston wasnt stuck because it was easy enough to push it back with a C-clamp

btw - what is the service frequency to change rear brake pads/drums? Can drums be re-surfaced?
Old 03-18-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Just installed the Centric Premium rotors and Wagner ceramic pads and followed the break in procedure of driving the car to speed ~ 60mph and slow down to ~ 15mph with half braking, not stopping the car after slowing down, picking up speed again and following the same procedure 7-8 times. Let the car sit for 30 minutes and do the same procedure again.

Is it normal for these ceramic pads to smoke a lot during break in? During the second round of break in; after i came to a stop there was quite a good amount of smoke. I dont see the rotor "too much bluish" {which would indicate glazing}, but this is the first time i am using ceramic pads, hence curious
Not sure if smoke is normal or not, perhaps you may be engaging ABS and your tires are smoking?
You can distinguish the smell of burnt rubber compared to brake pad smell.

Ok - i will re-check. The caliper piston wasnt stuck because it was easy enough to push it back with a C-clamp

btw - what is the service frequency to change rear brake pads/drums? Can drums be re-surfaced?
We have rear brake shoes that theoretically should outlast the life of your vehicle, but they can be serviced. It's a somewhat complicated procedure if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 03-18-2014

Thanks Kenny and Mikey1

- Nope, ABS is not engaging, i am a grandpa while driving lol .. so definitely it is not tire smoke :-)

I was reading about it and apparently it is normal for some smoke. I just went to Lowes to grab some stuff and no smoke and brakes are solid! ..

Is there a DIY for rear brakes? Never done before but cant assume its that tough. I have drum brakes on my dirt bike I am pretty handy with motorcycles, just not with cars. Havent owned that many cars, lol ...
Old 03-18-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Thanks Kenny and Mikey1

- Nope, ABS is not engaging, i am a grandpa while driving lol .. so definitely it is not tire smoke :-)

I was reading about it and apparently it is normal for some smoke. I just went to Lowes to grab some stuff and no smoke and brakes are solid! ..

Is there a DIY for rear brakes? Never done before but cant assume its that tough. I have drum brakes on my dirt bike I am pretty handy with motorcycles, just not with cars. Havent owned that many cars, lol ...
Np, we do happen to have a DIY for it.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...placement.html

It's not really too hard, just a lot of moving parts to keep track of.