Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Best performance winter tires for a 2005 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcerts is on a distinguished road
Best performance winter tires for a 2005 Honda Civic

My local mechanic suggested getting Wanli Winter challenger snow tires for my 2005 Honda Civic DX. Any suggestions on those tires.

I would love people reviews on the best performance winter tires for a 2005 Honda Civic
Old 11-04-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Best performance winter tires for a 2005 Honda Civic

if you include ice, blizzak.
Old 11-04-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/index.jsp
Old 11-06-2013
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't really need winter tires for the civic. Unless you plan on heavy mountain/snow driving. I had Michelin Defenders (all season) and handled moderate snow like a champ. If you're on steelies i don't think the blizzaks are even an option unless you size up.
Old 11-06-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I guess it depends on where you live. There's been a big push on in Canada the past couple years to make it mandatory to have winters. I believe in BC and Quebec now your insurance is null and void if your in an accident without winters on from Oct 1 to April 30. There are signs on the highways all around here stating that (winters or chains). Below 7C all seasons won't hold the road as well as winters. It's rarely above 7C where I live Oct1 - April 30.

Just for the record my 6 gen loves Toyo tires. I think my ABS only came on twice last winter and I live in probably the most 'winter' place in the world.
Old 11-07-2013
Registered!!

mcerts is on a distinguished road

I live in GTA, Ontario, and have a baby coming up, which is making me think of getting winter tires. I have driven three winters with all season though.
Old 11-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have never heard a bad thing about Blizzaks. But check TireRack for the best reviews and tests.
Old 11-09-2013

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add a little more to this...

Good for you...safety first especially when children are involved. It's going to take a long time to change peoples views on this subject. My father lives in Onterrible and we ended up arguing all seasons vs winters last year and I will never change his mind. I think $$$ is a big factor. People don't want to shell out for winters but really I change my tires 2x a year so everything lasts 2x as long...sort of . I got my Toyo's from a wrecker for $350 tax in on rims (mounted/balanced ) and they still look brand new starting on their 3rd season now. Small price to pay IMHO.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and it is, in fact, true in BC your car will not be covered in an accident without winters on Oct1 - April 30 and the PoPo were handing out tickets to people without the snowflake on their tires *cough*cough* cash grab. lol

Now if they would just throw people in jail for talking on their cell phone... I do feel drinking and driving laws should 100% apply to cell phone users.

Last edited by Stock 99; 11-10-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

in Quebec, you could be fined for driving without a headset and talk on the phone (with the phone against your head, held by a hand, i mean)
and yes, an accident happening for using all seasons far surpasses the price of tires and wheels. cheap insurance, especially if lifes involved, including others'
Old 11-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 1994, I had some original style Blizzaks under the back of my lowrider for the first few winters I had the truck, before it became a garage queen.

The summer tires I had on it at the time got me stranded on an inch of snow on a perfectly flat road. Bought a pair of Blizzaks the very same day. Man, those Blizzaks made like a night and day difference. I felt like that truck would go dang near anywhere.

Even with about 4 inches of ground clearance it could plow 8+ inches of snow with the front bumper as long as I had a bed full of snow.
I even managed to pull a stuck car out of a ditch out on some very snowy country roads in the middle of the night.

After about the 3rd or 4th season they had kinda lost the "new" feeling and became more like regular snows.

Then they went on the next 2 FWD GM Snowmobiles I had.

I still had that same pair of tires and they were on the Buick when I gave it to my kid last year....Shortly after he got the car, they had 18 inches of snow and he said the car got around just fine while everything around him was stuck.
Old 11-10-2013

Originally Posted by ezone
Even with about 4 inches of ground clearance it could plow 8+ inches of snow with the front bumper as long as I had a bed full of snow.
I've actually been super impressed with all my Civics over the years. They have all performed very well in the worst of winter conditions as long as they had a decent set of tires on them....

Old 11-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I've actually been super impressed with all my Civics over the years. They have all performed very well in the worst of winter conditions as long as they had a decent set of tires on them....
I'm scared. I've owned big FWD Gm cars since about 1990, and some of the customer cars I drive at work seem just horrible in snow (comparatively). I guess I always kept good tires on my cars though.

If we get decent snow here this year it will be my first in this Civic. Last year there was only one real good snow and it dumped a foot on us at once and shut us down, I was stuck at the house until the road got plowed. No real test of the cars snow ability that year.

Damn, I guess that means I will have to swap the originals back on it.
Old 11-11-2013
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

never heard of wanali, but have ran snowies since the early 1990's
I have run everything from no namers , Michelin Alpins, xice, tiger paw ice and snow toyo observe and crappy tire brand.

I never bought the Blizzack hype until 3 years ago when I was looking for snow tires for my civic 2005
Any yes they do make the correct size for your car, I went one size narrower.
Costco had them on for 50 bux a tire cheaper then X-Ice which is what I preferred at the time.

All I can say is they are amazing but wear out fast so I don't put them on until the snow flies and take them off in late march normally.

I drove from Stratford to Ottawa in a Blizzard literally there was so much snow on the 401 (canadian freeway) that you could feel the snow rubbing on the bottom of the car the whole way especially when changing lanes.
Not once did I feel it slip...

Long winded but Blizzacks R it!!

or if its legal STUDDED tires ohh ya

my 2.5 cents
Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

MarkSaoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I live up in up-state NY for college and i was not expecting to buy snowtires, but soon found out that it is much needed haha. I picked up fresh four blizzak ws70s and very impressed by them. For fun, i go around town into parking lots and snow "drift" and i think blizzaks are really good for what i payed for them and surely am satisfied with them. I havent tried any other snow tires.
Old 01-06-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I got Uniroyal Tiger Paws for my chevy cruze and oh man I'll never drive in the winter again without snow tires. The difference is absolutely night and day I agree. Any set of winter tires will do you well. I don't think there really is a "Bad" set.
Old 01-06-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

Same here, this is the first time I have put winter tires on my car. I always run all-seasons. I have been driving for 15 years now. I pickup 4 used Dunlop Graspic DS-3 and they grip like summer tires.