Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

And rotor number 3 is on its way out, awesome.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013
Meh...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hensinger2010 will become famous soon enough
And rotor number 3 is on its way out, awesome.

I own a 03 honda civic ex coupe, and i have gone through 3 right side rotors in the last 6 months, people do comment when in my car that i do brake hard which honestly I understand but it seems to be a little more than just hard braking when its been the same side over and over and over again, so im just looking for ideas on how to actually fix the problem as apposed to just braking easier, I'm thinking maybe the caliper is shot or sticking or both but regardless drilled and slotted are a little pricey to be doing this so often so id appreciate any help available, please and thank you.
Old 02-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: And rotor number 3 is on its way out, awesome.

Would it make any sense to ask what each of the failures was, specifically?
"In what manner did each fail?"

Naaaaah, that ain't imoptant at all
Old 02-09-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hensinger2010
regardless drilled and slotted are a little pricey to be doing this so often
Not to sound like a dick, but don't get drilled/slotted rotors then.
Old 02-09-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^
This

Time to get OEM blanks
Old 02-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have noise coming from my front right and one of my pads wears down much faster than the others. Obviously I'm having caliper troules as I've replaced everything else including the slider pins. Is there any noise under braking that seems out of the ordinary? Uneven pad wear?
Old 02-09-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Tom, threadjack much?
Old 02-09-2013
Meh...

not to sound like a normal person but why would i not want what looks the best on my car, and to continue to waste money on blanks when i could just fix the problem and then im completely happy and you dont need to express arbitrary side opinions, but regardless it feels like the brake grabs in series almost, and then once the rotors and the pads are gone completely it sounds like the damn lunar lander, usually just the outside pad is ground to bare metal and the inside pad is slightly wore and the rotor is tore to ****, i would say warped rotors but seeming how there have been 3 replacement pads and rotors for the right side id say its a little more advanced than just a warp,
Old 02-09-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but regardless it feels like the brake grabs in series almost,
Explain this.

and then once the rotors and the pads are gone completely it sounds like the damn lunar lander,
Aaahhhhh, the expensive sounds of metal on metal. Music to my ears.

usually just the outside pad is ground to bare metal and the inside pad is slightly wore and the rotor is tore to ****,
The obvious solution should be to replace the pads BEFORE they get metal-to-metal.

So...how much of the inner pad is worn down when the outer pad is metal to metal?
Could the inner pad be binding in the caliper bracket?
Both pads in each caliper need to be free to move.
If one is stuck, that will cause the opposite pad to wear at about double speed. I see it a lot here because of rust.

Another possibility is......the opposite brake (other side of the car) isn't working at all.

i would say warped rotors
Nope.
Old 02-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

remove caliper, do a thoughout inspection, rebuild. check for clogged lines. rust. etc, etc.

should been done in 2nd set to third set. They are there to stop the car when you need...
Old 02-09-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

not to sound like a normal person but why would i not want what looks the best on my car, and to continue to waste money on blanks when i could just fix the problem and then im completely happy and you dont need to express arbitrary side opinions, but regardless it feels like the brake grabs in series almost, and then once the rotors and the pads are gone completely it sounds like the damn lunar lander, usually just the outside pad is ground to bare metal and the inside pad is slightly wore and the rotor is tore to ****, i would say warped rotors but seeming how there have been 3 replacement pads and rotors for the right side id say its a little more advanced than just a warp,
Not to sound like a jerk, but you DO need to realize that any slotted or drilled rotors give you negligible performance, AND wears the pads even faster.
Any underlying problems will just only enhance these characteristics even more. And replacing the pads before they're completely chewed up will prevent the rotors from being damaged.
Modern day brake pads have wear indicators that start squealing when the pad reaches a certain point, requiring them to be replaced, before they are ground to bare metal.

I would check to make sure the left brake is getting pressure and operating correctly. A proper full brake system bleed would help too.

Just because something looks cool, doesn't mean it works well.
So no, telling you to get blanks is not arbitrary at all.
Old 02-09-2013

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Not to sound like a jerk, but you DO need to realize that any slotted or drilled rotors give you negligible performance, AND wears the pads even faster.
Any underlying problems will just only enhance these characteristics even more. And replacing the pads before they're completely chewed up will prevent the rotors from being damaged.
Modern day brake pads have wear indicators that start squealing when the pad reaches a certain point, requiring them to be replaced, before they are ground to bare metal.

I would check to make sure the left brake is getting pressure and operating correctly. A proper full brake system bleed would help too.

Just because something looks cool, doesn't mean it works well.
So no, telling you to get blanks is not arbitrary at all.
Kinda funny, the OPs signature is
Applying Things You Think You Know, To Things You Definitely Don't, Is Annoying! Shut Up And Listen
Old 02-09-2013
Meh...

thank you for trying to solve the problem, as opposed to giving me a alternative, didnt realize the egos were so high around here, simply stating that i like the look of drilled and slotted, thousands of people rock them without the problem im having, so why would i just switch to blanks instead of solving the problem, im really into finding out stuff on my own, and hate asking for help, the fact that im even posting is rare, i just wanna fix my car, and by in series i mean, at low speeds when everything is new it seems perfect, i get a slight shake when applying the brakes from 40 to 60 mph, the shakes intensify the more the rotor and pads are worn, and eventually it just sounds like dragging instead of smooth braking to a stop, the shake is why i thought warped, but i even said after i thought they were warped that couldnt be it, so thank you for taking little excerpts of editing there mr. fox news,

Thanks again,
The president
Old 02-09-2013

i get a slight shake when applying the brakes from 40 to 60 mph, the shakes intensify the more the rotor and pads are worn,
Now THIS described what warped rotors do.
Have you checked that the face of the hub is clean and free of rust before installing the rotor?

You know how......if you were building a skyscraper...... being off by 1/8 inch at the bottom of the building would make it lean by several feet at the top?
Same applies to brakes.
0.002" runout (or rust? Rust is a huge problem here where I live) on the face of the hub can cause 0.010" runout at the outer edge of the rotor once it is installed. That's more than enough to feel in the steering wheel.

Similar thing for "disc thickness variation".

But I don't think that is causing excessive pad wear. Shake, but not wear.
Old 02-09-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

you are prob wondering why kenny said slotted/drilled and negligible in performance for our cars.

the original intent of drilled rotors (the holes) was the allow excess gas to be sucked into the vains of the rotors (inside of the rotor) to prevent gas build up between the rotor surface and pad. HOWEVER, pad technology has gone a very long way and the technology for it has exponentially improved. gas is no longer a problem.

drilled rotors also serve as a cooling purpose. it draws air into the veins of the rotor and pushes it out (like many computer fans). however, to do this efficiently, you need directional veined rotors. there is NO aftermarket stock sized rotor that makes directional vein rotors. our 10" rotors are too small for manufactures to give a crap because no one really "races" our rotors to even be considered. most "track/race" civics will have a big brake kit on there.

directional vented vain vs straight vained (what we have) rotors:
Name:  how_to2.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  21.9 KB

now, slotted rotors. those are the little slits you see on rotors. their purpose is to act as a razor blade and clean the surface of the pad with every swipe to allow a clean pad contact with the rotor. HOWEVER, this will EAT UP YOUR PADS very very quickly (compared to say a blank rotor)

application to our cars:

why do we advise NOT to get them for our cars? a few reasons.

1. when you drill/slot the rotors, you significantly lose surface area of your rotor. that means less surface area for your pad to come in contact with your rotor. this means less friction, less braking power, and a loss in braking performance.

so why do all the higher end cars have them? because they run 15" rotors and we run 10." they can throw some drills/slots in there and not sacrifice surface area.

2. properly drilled/slotted/veined rotors are meant to take and cool high heat...ie racing applications. if you drive on the streets and do occasional spirited driving, you will rarely push your rotors to its limits. and if you ARE serious about racing/autox, then your stock rotor is extremely insufficient and you need to think of investing in a big brake kit.

3. drilling/slotting the rotors weakens the structure. period. there is no argument in it. its basic physics. when you look at the cars that have proper drilled/slots, you will notice that the thickness of their rotor is MUCH thicker than ours.

google it, you'll find plenty of failed rotors that were drilled.

and this isn't exclusive to our little rotors. There have been guys with the IS-F that have cracked their oem rotors on the track. google and you shall see.

now, for street applications for your civic, if you want to go with slotted/drilled rotors, then thats fine. chances are you will not push those rotors to their limits and if you got a decent brand, you'll be ok.

and if you want them simply for looks, no one here is to tell you otherwise because its your car, your taste. hope you have learned something and hope i have cleared some confusion concerning drilled slots.
Old 02-09-2013

HOWEVER, pad technology has gone a very long way and the technology for it has exponentially improved.
Only if you pay for it.

The $12 compressed walnut shell brake pads from DangerZone don't qualify.
Old 02-09-2013
Meh...

The first set were blanks the second was powers top then switched back to the blanks and still have the problem I will try inspecting the hub surface soon so thank you for that info I also have read the write up on drilled and slotted before and new the risks but I honestly believe the shake is caused from something more steering related but who knows time will tel regardless but thanks for the info for now anything else will be Appreciated
Old 02-09-2013

After a good drive, check the temps of each front rotor. If there is significant difference, the hot one will have a brake dragging....or the cold one has no brake applying.
Old 02-09-2013

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ezone
Only if you pay for it.

The $12 compressed walnut shell brake pads from DangerZone don't qualify.
Absolutely agree. But I was just generally speaking for simplicity sake

Hopefully people are smart enough not to buy $12 brake pads but I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 02-10-2013
Kenny the Ricer

I bought $9.99 pads for my volvo
then i sold the car :P
Old 02-10-2013

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I bought $9.99 pads for my volvo
then i sold the car :P
Don't you know that you can just flip the pad around and then use the backside duh
Old 02-10-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

me still think you need at the least to lube slider pins (yes, it's easy...)
Old 02-10-2013
Meh...

there is a crease in the rubber gasket around the caliper but it still extends and compresses, dont know if it may be linked., also have some rear discs off of an 03 dc5, will they fit my em2?

Last edited by Hensinger2010; 02-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2013

Yes if you have the whole assembly. Simply having the disc won't work. Not to mention you'll be running 5lug in the rear vs 4 in the front
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

do you mean powerslot rotors ??? what kind of compound are you using for the pads not racing pads rite ???
Old 02-10-2013

I use HP+ pads all around (I have rear disc) and they are over kill for street. So in theory, if I took some surface area off the front, I'd still be good. But the hp+ feel good.
Old 02-10-2013
Kenny the Ricer

^
Whaaaat?
I can't hear you over your brake squeal.
Old 02-10-2013

WHATTTT???? YOU SAY SUM'in?!
Old 02-11-2013
Meh...

oem blanks, and pads along with a new caliper and hose are waiting at autozone in the morning, if this doesnt solve it idk what will, and i guess my rears discs are from just a rsx base so they are the 4 lugs just wasnt sure on them fitting, thanks for the help regardless guys
Old 02-11-2013

oem blanks, and pads along with a new caliper and hose are waiting at autozone in the morning, if this doesnt solve it idk what will, and i guess my rears discs are from just a rsx base so they are the 4 lugs just wasnt sure on them fitting, thanks for the help regardless guys
ALL rsx, type s, and type r are 5 lug. No exceptions.
Old 02-11-2013

oem blanks, and pads along with a new caliper and hose are waiting at autozone
How do you get OEM from DangerZone?

Is "OEM" some Chinese brand?

Quick Reply: And rotor number 3 is on its way out, awesome.