Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brakes squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicality is an unknown quantity at this point
Brakes squeaking

I live in Oakland California and drove to San Francisco and back and didn't hear any unusual noises coming from my car until I got home where it was quiet. As I was backing up very slowly and pressing the brakes, I could hear a squeaking noise (very low). The best way I could describe the noise is like the squeaking sound when you turn the **** of a faucet on the sink or shower. It seems to make that sound when I brake when I'm driving extremely slow, almost at a stop. If I put the car in park and use the e-brakes, then push on the brake pedal, I won't hear that noise. However, if the car is stopped but not on park or using the e-brakes, and I press the brakes, I hear the squeaking noise. When I press the brakes at very slow speed it makes that sound too. Last time I had a similar problem and the mechanic told me that my brakes were out of alignment. I think he fixed it for very cheap too. I'm not sure if this is the same problem - it might be. Also, a friend of mine drove my car last week and accidentally forgot to release the e-brakes and I'm wondering if this may have caused it. Are there other causes such as weather or the need for new brakes? I have about half a pad left. Any help would be appreciated. I hate to worry about things like this. This may be a huge problem and I won't be able to drive, and I need to drive because I'm disabled and can't get around without a car.
Old 12-15-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: Brakes squeaking

First of all: do you need new brake pads? Most brake pads have metal studs in them that are designed to cause a loud squeak on your rotors when they are worn down too far.

The noise could maybe be coming from your master cylinder or brake booster. My car has made a low sounding squeak from under the car ever since I bought it. It only seems to be noticeable when you release the pedal and the cylinder retracts.

And it's weird that you mentioned that handbrake thing...
I did the exact same thing once, I let my friend borrow my car and he drove it with the handbrake on. But strangely (and I have no idea how this happened) but the next time i drove my car I had no brake pressure and my car was incredibly hard to stop.

I don't know much about brake systems, but they're certainly complex and known for weird and sporadic issues.
Old 12-15-2012
Registered!!

The brake pads are about half way and I it's pretty easy to stop, even at fast speeds. The noise is very low and somewhat hard to hear unless you're away from a busy place. I'm not sure if the noise occurs after I release the pedal or when I press it. I'm thinking after it's released.
Old 12-16-2012
Former Sponsor

go-part is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the noise coming from the front or rear pedals? Have you tried lubricating your brakes?

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=38625
Old 12-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You either need new front or rear pads, or sometimes dust build up causes some funny noise. You can pull the wheel and hit it with brake clean, regrease everything and see what happens.

Really not much more you can do unless you pull the wheels off and take a look.

I actually have the exact same noise on my car but been too lazy to check it out. I suspect my rear brakes are squaking because of dust and lube dried up.
Old 12-16-2012
Registered!!

It's kind of hard to tell whether the noise is coming from the front of back. I drove the car yesterday to the grocery store and back and didn't notice any noise. I have to listen carefully. If my car is at a stop and I press on the brakes, it makes the squeaking noise (very low) even when the e-brakes aren't used or my car is in park. When I park and use my e-brakes, the car won't make the squeaking noise even when I press the brakes. I haven't tried lubricated the brakes. I'm not sure if I need new pads yet. The last time I checked, the auto mechanic told me that I had half a pad left, and this was about a year ago.
Old 12-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

If I understand you, the squeaking is when you are already stopped and step on the brake. I would lubricate the rear brakes where the shoes contact the backing plate. If the car is not moving this is the only parts that move when you apply the brakes. You should hear the squeak both when you step on the brake and when you let the brake off, both cause the shoes to move against the backing plate. Applying the parking brake stops the squeak because it moves the shoes out to the drums so applying the regular brake does not cause any further movement.
Old 12-18-2012
Registered!!

Do I have to remove the tires in order to lubricate the rear brakes, because my knowledge of auto body is zilch. I know, it's terrible.
Old 12-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Civicality
Do I have to remove the tires in order to lubricate the rear brakes, because my knowledge of auto body is zilch. I know, it's terrible.
You would have to remove the rear wheels and the brake drum. there are two brake shoes on each side and I believe there are three contact points between each shoe and the plate. You would need to apply lubricant to each point. Make sure you use a suitable grease.
Old 12-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You can use anti seize as well for the rear brakes.

Silicone paste for the front pins.