Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Left brake shoe/drum squeaking -- already lubed contact points

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Left brake shoe/drum squeaking -- already lubed contact points

OK, so my rear left brake has been squeaking for months now, and it's driving me nuts!

I've lubed the six contact points on the shoe about three times, each time cleaning the old stuff off and then reapplying it very liberally, but the squeak refuses to go away. It's like the car is intentionally trying to drive me insane

I start from a stoplight: SQUEAK!

I start from a stop sign: SQUEAK!

I tap my brakes: SQUEAK!!

Arrrrrg...

What should I do?

Last edited by CivicN3wb; 10-19-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Left brake shoe/drum squeaking -- already lubed contact points

did you lube up the return spring ??? does it make noise with the e brake ??? this is common with hondas mine always does it i just turn up the radio.
Old 10-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I put Moly grease on the backing plate contact areas, not the shoes.
Old 10-20-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i used to like the squeaking, esp using the ebrake to keep doing it. i usually got some strange looks. unfortunately after the last brake job it stopped. you can lube the ebrake cable too and that will stop it for a while.
Old 10-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
did you lube up the return spring ??? does it make noise with the e brake ??? this is common with hondas mine always does it i just turn up the radio.
No, I'm not even sure what the return spring is. How do you lube the spring? Do you put brake lube all along the spring?

Yes, it does make noise when using the e-brake.

Originally Posted by ezone
I put Moly grease on the backing plate contact areas, not the shoes.
I put it on the six contact points (the flat tab things that face outward), but I thought those contact points were part of the shoes. I could be wrong. Is Moly grease better/different than brake lube?

Originally Posted by gearbox
i used to like the squeaking, esp using the ebrake to keep doing it. i usually got some strange looks. unfortunately after the last brake job it stopped. you can lube the ebrake cable too and that will stop it for a while.
Oh, ha ha, very funny I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind would "like" their brakes squeaking incessantly like this
Old 10-20-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Mine use to always squeak never bothered to try and fix it just swapped out to rsx type-s brakes, problem solved no more squeaking. lol
Old 10-20-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CivicN3wb
I put it on the six contact points (the flat tab things that face outward), but I thought those contact points were part of the shoes. I could be wrong. Is Moly grease better/different than brake lube?
There are small flats on the shoes, and raised areas on the backing plate that mate with those flats.

Maybe the disc brake grease you got isn't good enough or isn't the same. IDK. Read the MSDS on it and see what is in it.

Didn't look it up this time, but I always thought Honda calls for Moly. (MoS2 44 or 60, I believe. Don't quote me on that.)
A small package of Moly comes with each and every set of brake pads, I have SCADS of the stuff laying around.

I THOUGHT this had been asked before.... https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-noise.html

I couldn't find "Moly grease" at Advance Auto Parts, but the guy up front sold me a little green packet of "Ultra Disk Brake Lubricant" that he said should work. Is that OK?
Maybe it has worn off or rinsed off?
Old 10-20-2012
Registered!!

There are small flats on the shoes, and raised areas on the backing plate that mate with those flats.
Really? I didn't notice areas on the plate that were raised. I don't suppose the plate has to be oriented a certain way when I put it back on, does it?

Maybe the disc brake grease you got isn't good enough or isn't the same.
The same as what?

I'm using this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ontent=general

I THOUGHT this had been asked before.... https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-noise.html
Yep, it didn't stay quiet for long, unfortunately I didn't want to resurrect an old thread, particularly since the problem appears to be different (putting more brake lube on the six contact points isn't fixing the problem..).
Old 10-20-2012

Really? I didn't notice areas on the plate that were raised.
Go back to the other thread and look at the pics posted. You should find the exact same raised contact areas on your backing plates.

I don't suppose the plate has to be oriented a certain way when I put it back on, does it?
It's bolted on. You can't move it.
Wait....What do you think a backing plate is?

The same as what?

I'm using this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ontent=general
The lube appears to be good quality stuff, but I have never seen or used it so I can't really comment much on it.
Yep, it didn't stay quiet for long, unfortunately I didn't want to resurrect an old thread, particularly since the problem appears to be different (putting more brake lube on the six contact points isn't fixing the problem..).
Is the tone or pitch of the noise now any different from when grease DID fix the noise?

You can be parked, and pump the brake pedal, and make the noise...Correct?
Same noise occurs when you pull the handbrake, correct?

The noise must be coming from movement of the brake shoes or their hardware.
Unless something went seriously wrong inside that drum. Have you looked yet? Why only one side?

Maybe you can take off the drum and have someone work the handbrake PART WAY up-- in order to locate the noise source. (Don't pull the handbrake all the way up!!!) Use a screwdriver to lift/pry (gently) each shoe away from the backing plate while working the handbrake, see if that makes the noise go away.

By far the loudest ones I ever hear are the contact points on the backing plates. Seems like I offer to grease the plates on a semi regular basis. Only a few people seem to care enough ($$) to do the job though. Of course any of the metal-to-metal contact areas can be a source of noises too...but rare.

Maybe try some moly grease while you are at it. LOL.

HTH?
Old 10-21-2012
Registered!!

Go back to the other thread and look at the pics posted. You should find the exact same raised contact areas on your backing plates.

It's bolted on. You can't move it.
Wait....What do you think a backing plate is?
I thought you were talking about what is apparently called the "brake drum" I was wondering why you were referring to it as the "backing plate," as it was on the front, lol..

I was too chicken to take the brake shoes off, because the video I watched showing how to do it made it look like stuff could go wrong in a big way if done incorrectly (like bleeding the brakes, which I haven't learned how to do yet!), but I pried the shoes off a little and was able to work in a bit of lube with a q-tip. I wasn't able to get all of the contact points, or get much lube on those I was able to reach, but the squeak is gone! So I guess if it happens again I'll just have to brake down (ha ha) and take off the shoes so I can lube it properly.

Thanks for your help, guys!!
Old 10-21-2012

I thought you were talking about what is apparently called the "brake drum"
Well, that explains that.

I was too chicken to take the brake shoes off,
No wonder it didn't work 100% for you!

was able to work in a bit of lube with a q-tip
I actually use a small bent pocket screwdriver to sneak the grease in there, and I do it without removing the shoes....but it isn't my first rodeo either.
I wasn't able to get all of the contact points, or get much lube on those I was able to reach, but the squeak is gone!
The 4 upper points are where most of the noise would come from. The 2 at the bottom have very little shoe movement on them, so probably less critical.

Yes, if you weren't successful this time then certainly you may need to pull the shoes all the way off to apply the lube properly. I guess you'll know in another 6 months, right?

Good luck
Old 10-23-2012
No amateur/no professional

JJ291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also have to remember to adjust the emergency brake or it will "scrape". Be sure to check that if all the 'lube' doesn't work.
Old 10-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Also if the drum was grooved up it is probably what is making the noise.
Even if the pads are new.