Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Shaky Steering, Loose Caliper?

Old 06-26-2012
Point A -> Point B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nrp1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaky Steering, Loose Caliper?

In my 2003 ex, I have recently been getting get a strong shaking coming through the steering wheel when I get up to about 50mph. It only happens once in a while, but once it starts, it keeps going until I stop, and then it seems to go away, even if I take it back up to 50. I took it apart today to see if there was something obviously wrong, but didn't notice anything except for a bit more play in the caliper on the left side compared to the right. The left plays enough to clunk a bit, while the right only shifts slightly. The play is in the guide pins. Would that cause this kind of shaking? Should I consider replacing the caliper?

I should say that I've been meaning to replace my strut mount for a while now, as I know that it is shot. I suppose that could be causing the problem too.
Old 06-27-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Shaky Steering, Loose Caliper?

shaky steering is caused by something that is dynamic when the car is in motion like the tims, tires, or rotors...etc

when was the last time you had your tires balanced?

when was the last time you had your car aligned?

are you lug nuts tightened properly?

do you have aftermarket rims? if you do, you might need hub centric rings and the proper lug nuts (acorn instead of ball)

could be a variety of things...but most likely not the caliper.
Old 06-27-2012
Point A -> Point B

Yeah, the lug nuts are tight for sure. I got the car back in January and have had to replace 3 of the 4 tires. Haven't had any of them balanced or had an alignment since I bought it, so it could be that. In fact, it does tend to get shaky lightly shaky around 50-55, which I pretty much assumed is caused by a balancing problem. But the shaking I've experienced recently (in the last month) only happens once a week or so (I drive about 30 miles a day), and it is a stronger shake than what I normally get. I thought that probably wouldn't be due to alignment or balance, but what do you think?

The car does have aftermarket rims, so that could be it. I'll have to check whether its got hub centric rings and acorn nuts or not.

Even if it is not causing the shake, do you think I should be concerned about the play in the caliper? The car stops fine without any pull or anything.
Old 06-28-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

so lets first go get your tires balanced. it should cost very much...

how big are your rims and what kind are they? with any aftermarket rim, you should get hub centric rings and then acorn style lug nuts.

and your caliper, it should NOT have any play in it. if it has play, then the bolts are loose. at this point it is very dangerous to drive because if your brakes fail on your then you're screwd and it beocmes a life and death situation. get the calipers tightened Asap
Old 06-28-2012
Point A -> Point B

The rims are normal old 15 inch Sport Editions. I think they are aftermarket, anyway. As I said, I bought this car in its current condition a few months ago.

I should specifiy that the play in the calipers is around the pins, not the mounting bolts. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm learning as I go), but i thought that that play was what makes the calipers "self adjusting." Am I wrong about that? Or is there a certain amount of play that's acceptable? What exactly would need to be tightened? I've torqued down the pins to specs already and still get the play.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2012

yes, the pins move thats ok.

as long as the two mounting bolts that hold teh caliper onto the spindle are tight on then thats ok.
Old 06-29-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

I had the same problem and it ended up being warped rotors, whens the last time the car had a brake job?
Old 06-30-2012
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road

Replace strut mount then do all 4 wheel balanced.
Old 07-01-2012
Point A -> Point B

The rotors were newly replaced when I bought the car in January, so I hope it is not them.

A replacement strut mount is on its way to my house - I will replace that and report back whether I see any improvement after getting the tires balanced too.
Old 07-02-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Unless you frequently use the brakes at high speeds (65+) or slam on them, it shouldn't be the rotors, the next step is definitely wheel balancing.
Old 07-23-2012
Point A -> Point B

Ok, I finally found the time to replace the strut, but in the process, I've discovered that the boot was missing from the lower left caliper slide on my front brakes. When I pulled it out, I also found that the rubber piece that goes on the end of the slide that faces toward the outside of the car has totally disintegrated. As I understand it, I need to replace the rubber parts, grease it up, and stick it back in there... Does that sound right? How much grease (it is totally dry at the moment)? Anybody know of a DIY just so I don't go screwing anything up?

Once that's taken care of, I'll find out if the new strut has fixed the shaking.