Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

squeak sound when lifting foot off brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PeteReview is an unknown quantity at this point
squeak sound when lifting foot off brake

History: New brakes and bleeding of fluid were done last year since I bought the car new in Dec 2005.

I brought the car into the dealer. The service guy and mechanic could not explain what the cause was. They sprayed WD40 around the mechanism by the brake pedal. It stopped squeaking for two weeks then it came back.

Car specs: 2005 Honda Civic Coupe Value Package 70,000 miles.
Old 09-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: squeak sound when lifting foot off brake

it could be the rear brake shoes cable. try holding the ebrake button and moving the handle up and down repeatedly. if it makes the squeak each time you lower the handle, its the rear brake cable and it needs to be lubed from inside the drums.

you can also try spraying the brake pedal moving parts with silicone lube, but be sure to put a bag over the rubber brake pedal part so you do not get lube on it (and your foot slips when pressing it).
Old 09-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

are you sure its coming from inside the car because hondas are notorious for having squeaky rear drums when you release the pedal usually caused from the return springs needing lubrication.
Old 09-19-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I have a similar, if not the same issue. It sounds as if its coming from under the hood, but for me it comes and goes, like recently, it hasn't done it, but last week, for about 4 or 5 days, it did it every time I lifted my foot off the brake. Very strange thing.
Old 09-20-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

My 02' has this issue it is extremly annoying. When I took that car to the shop last the brakes where given pads it didnt do it for about two or three days then woosh all back again like never before. I'm going with the comments and solutions here and hope those suggestions will solve the mystery. Thankfully my 05' doesnt have this issue.
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

That emergency brake test helped a lot! After driving 25 miles on a hot day the it did squeak when moving the emergency break. I will lubricate the rear brake cable inside the drums, rear springs, ect.. In addition silicon spray the front moving parts beyond the brake peddle.
I will report back if results!
Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: squeak sound when lifting foot off brake

The squeak is gone! I told dealer mechanic to put it on the lift and lubricate the rear brake cable inside the drums and rear springs. He asked why I thought that was the cause? I explained pulling the emergency brake or depressing of the brake pedal caused squeak after 25 mile drive.

Thanks to everyones input!
Old 09-05-2016
Registered!!

Claridge45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had the squeak when i depressed my brake pedal. Jacked up the car, pulled the wheel and drum off. I pushed the pedal and heard something spray and hit inside the wheel well. It was a bad wheel cylinder, leaking inside the drum. Make sure to check your wheel cylinders!
Old 09-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claridge45
I also had the squeak when i depressed my brake pedal. Jacked up the car, pulled the wheel and drum off. I pushed the pedal and heard something spray and hit inside the wheel well. It was a bad wheel cylinder, leaking inside the drum. Make sure to check your wheel cylinders!
Don't push the brake pedal while the brake drum is off.
The wheel cylinder can come apart due to excessive travel.
Then you have a mess.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Claridge45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks man, I realize that now. Lol Threw in a new wheel cylinder and brake brake line that attaches to the flex hose and cylinder. Cleaned and greased all the contact points. No more squeal.