Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

*rumbling* on front passenger wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kobo the hobo is an unknown quantity at this point
*rumbling* on front passenger wheel

While I'm driving my 01 civic, the front passenger wheel will make a rumbling noise and i can feel it in the steering wheel. It happens on occasion and the length of rumbling differs, no longer then 3 seconds. most of the time it's only like 3 quick rumbles (I can tell) but has been lasting longer lately. I doubt it's the brakes, had my car at Les Schwab like 2 weeks ago to check up on the brakes and they said it's fine.

I've jacked the car up and looked at the wheel and it doesn't wiggle.
Any ideas on what might be going on?

Also, I had my timing belt, fan belt, and fuses replaced about 2 months ago and my fan belt is screeching. Tried tightening it but that didn't do anything, should I replace it?
Old 12-17-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough
Re: *rumbling* on front passenger wheel

Fan belt? If you think there's a fan belt in a car made anytime after 2000 you shouldn't be tightening belts at all. Maybe you should tighten your power steering and a/c belts and see if that helps.

Edit://You know what that was mean... Just try replaceing the belts, they're really cheap, make sure you tighten them properly and you'll be fine. Before that try some belt dressing, they may just need some silicone in the cold weather. Check each pulleys ridges for damage while you have the belts off its possible they use a chain wrench on the crankshaft pulley to hold it while they wrenched it off to change the T belt.

Last edited by Prodresurgence; 12-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Balance might be off, or lugnut might be loose

I would take off the wheel entirely, then put it back on, remember to do tighten it star pattern.
See if the problem persists, if it does, its most likely balance
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Does it have stick on wheel weights? They could have knocked some off while doing the brake job!

Does it happen while cruising, accelerating or braking?
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Happy Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

I say it sounds like a wheel bearing.
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

retighten lug nuts, they do get loose over time. i think its 80-90 ft/lbs.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Happy Jack
I say it sounds like a wheel bearing.
Bingo! Like the earlier post, first try taking the wheel off and put it back on. Torque: 80 ft-lbs

Make sure there is 1/8 inch deflection on the belts. Deflection: how far the belt moves up and down while running.
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Adding to what everyone else has said, when you re-tighten the lug nuts if you don't have a torque wrench or impact wrench then you will probably need to use a cheater pipe to get enough torque on the nuts.

When you had your brakes done did they touch the rotors, a warped rotor would cause vibrations as well.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Well they did a brake job last spring, and messed up terribly, the brakes were locking up so over the summer they re-did the whole thing. Rotors were warped but they replaced them. I'll try taking the wheel off and putting it back on.

And it happens while cruising.

So my car doesn't have a fan belt? Well it only screeches when the AC or defroster are on if that helps. (apologies for asking about this on the tires and wheels thread.)
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

well correction, it's the a/c belt, thanks Prodresurgence. I did tighten it up though.
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kobo the hobo
(apologies for asking about this on the tires and wheels thread.)
Don't worry about it, its all part of the same series of problems. If it goes to far towards off topic, we simply move it to the appropriate area.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Well they did a brake job last spring, and messed up terribly, the brakes were locking up so over the summer they re-did the whole thing. Rotors were warped but they replaced them. I'll try taking the wheel off and putting it back on.

And it happens while cruising.

So my car doesn't have a fan belt? Well it only screeches when the AC or defroster are on if that helps. (apologies for asking about this on the tires and wheels thread.)
If it makes the sound louder when going around a corner then it is the wheel bearing for sure. It usually happens when turning one way.

I am almost sure it is the wheel bearing!
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

do you mean like during an actual turn? It's never rumbled while turning, it's usually when i'm cruising and the car is slightly moving to the left. but on the straight aways
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

do you mean like during an actual turn? It's never rumbled while turning, it's usually when i'm cruising and the car is slightly moving to the left. but on the straight aways
Still think it's the wheel bearing.
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, remove the wheel and reinstall it first
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

It usually happens that way but not always. Sense it's a grinding sound, then it's probably the bearing.

Also check and make sure the CV boots aren't torn while you have the wheel off!
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

all right. I'll try fixing it tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2010
Registered!!

Turns out it's not the bearings, most likely the upper CV joints.
Old 12-22-2010
Registered!!

Turns out it's not the bearings, most likely the upper CV joints.
Upper? It's either inner or outer.
Old 12-22-2010
Registered!!

the_civy is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like your tire is separated.

shaking in the steering wheel and veering to the opposite side (ex: your passenger tire is the problem and youre pulling to the driver side) are usually signs of a separated tire.

Feel around the tire for a "bubble" or take it to a tire shop and they can check.
Old 12-23-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like a wheel bearing or axel hard to tell, our cars dont have fan belts. They are electronic.