Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Shimmy shimmy ya

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keepitmovin is an unknown quantity at this point
Shimmy shimmy ya

I just bought a new wheel/tire package and I'm getting mad shimmy/wobble when I hit 90 -100k/h. I had the wheels balanced, bought hubcentric rings and got an alignment. I might end up going back to make sure the balancing was done properly but **** it's gotta be hard to mess up zeroing out some wheels. Any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

+MM+ will become famous soon enough
Re: Shimmy shimmy ya

How old are your struts?
Old 06-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

alot of places cant properly balance wheels. and alot of aftermarket rims can never balance out perfectly. ive had some people suggest find a tire shop that can road-force balance the tires, thats the best way to do it. i have the same problem, only i know its the konig rims i bought. the oem ones were perfectly stable, and all i did was switch rims and use the same tires. ive had it balanced at several places and sears got it pretty good, but at higher speeds it still shakes the steering wheel. i have a feeling the rim just wasnt made perfectly round.
Old 06-15-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

make sure ur rings are the correct size. most shops will just put the rings that fit the ID....but the OD doesnt always fit.
Old 06-15-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

rings dont matter for our cars. ive run with and without them, i decided to keep em just for fun but either way it did not affect vibration at all.
Old 06-20-2009
Registered!!

Keepitmovin is an unknown quantity at this point

Got em balanced again and the ride got better but still has slight shimmy at highway speeds. I tried new rings aswell but they made no difference. Out of idea's, but she rides better now anyway
Old 06-21-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
rings dont matter for our cars. ive run with and without them, i decided to keep em just for fun but either way it did not affect vibration at all.
they do! my slipstreams shook my steering at 60+mph but after i had the rings put on, no more vib. (and yes i had a fresh alignment)
Old 06-22-2009
Premium Member

interesting. im trying to see how, since it appears our hub is lug-centric. i have the rings, they are tight, and i still get vibes. and i know its the aftermarket rims to blame cause stock alloys didnt do it.