Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Magnum Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcelefano is an unknown quantity at this point
Magnum Rotors

Hey what's up everyone.

I went to Pacific mall (canada) wanting to buy some brembo rotors. The guy there I usually buy stuff from told me aboue Magnum Rotors which is a cheaper brand of Brembo. He said they're pretty good, but I've never heard of them.

Their website is http://www.magnumbrakes.com/

Has anyone ever tried these? Or at least heard of them?

If they're good, I'm hoping to buy some Magnum brake pads as well.

Oh yeah, another question is, who here in canada thinks our ABS sucks? **** always gets me INTO trouble, and not out of (when on snow). I have yokohama winter tires, they're not the best, but man the abs just keeps doing its thing, not allowing me to stop in time...
Old 11-24-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Magnum Rotors

brembo sock rotors suck. get oem rotors.......gearbox will vouch for me on this one....

and yea, our abs isnt that great... it always kicks in during snowseason here in soCal...very different than driving my mom's camry
Old 11-24-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

oem ftw! will never get anything else again. lesson learned. i would love to disable the abs some better way than just pulling the fuse. its sucks 99% of the time when it starts working.
Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

Thx for the reply.

Which make of brake pads do you two recommend?

I was thinking about getting AEM. I did a search but everything that comes up about brakes is the Drum to Disc conversion chats lol.

So far it looks like AEM being the best, and Hawks being second?

I'm guessing Gearbox is the main man on this website?
Old 11-24-2008
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

Hawks are great I love mine.. grab so well
Old 11-24-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

You guys should check out a performance comany called "Racing Brake" They make really good rotors and pads.

Last edited by TRIZ; 11-25-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling change, my bad- was mutitasking
Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

ChemicalBoom is an unknown quantity at this point

Racing "Brake"
Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

gowen should not be trustedgowen should not be trusted

Originally Posted by rcelefano
Hey what's up everyone.

I went to Pacific mall (canada) wanting to buy some brembo rotors. The guy there I usually buy stuff from told me aboue Magnum Rotors which is a cheaper brand of Brembo. He said they're pretty good, but I've never heard of them.

Oh yeah, another question is, who here in canada thinks our ABS sucks? **** always gets me INTO trouble, and not out of (when on snow). I have yokohama winter tires, they're not the best, but man the abs just keeps doing its thing, not allowing me to stop in time...
I also live in Canada (I have actually been to Pacific Mall) and think that ABS is GREAT!! Try this test (make sure you do it on a side street)
1. wait for snow
2. Pull the fuse for your ABS
3. Get up to about 40 km/h slam on brakes
4. Measure stopping distance
5. Put fuse back in
6 Repeat steps 3 and 4
7. Learn to love your ABS and maybe think about SLOWING down in the snow!!
Old 11-24-2008
Registered!!

gowen should not be trustedgowen should not be trusted

Hey what's up everyone.

If you want Magnums there is a Guy in Scarborough that sells rotors and pads for $70
Old 11-24-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

abs takes longer to stop the car, thats a proven fact. the only "advantage" is that you have some steering control while braking. as for pads, i like oem semi metallics.
Old 11-25-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

hawks are great, the best pads ive have/riden on are HAWKS HP PLUS...

the "plus" differs from the regular HP because its made out of ferro-carbon, which is a high-tech friction material that was developed and manufactured for sport driving in autocross, Solo II and “track day” applications. The Ferro-Carbon formulation offers lower wear rates and higher torque values than other competitive materials.

HOWEVER, these pads are very squeeky and you will hear grinding noises for the first 1k miles....

yet......they are the best stopping/feel i have ever had/driven/own (for our civics)

Originally Posted by Kevbotron
Hawks are great I love mine.. grab so well
just wonder if you have the HP or HP PLUS?

does ur squeek? im thinking of runing the regular HP....if they are quieter... im getting a lil too old to care about the "extra" stopping power...just at long as its better than stock.
Old 11-25-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

how can you say brembo brakes suck they are one of the leaders of brakes out there. they come stock on evo sti and the new nissan se-r they are incredible brakes.
Old 11-25-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I think he was reffering to Brembo Blanks, which do suck.
Old 11-25-2008
Registered!!

Well, I'm going for Hawk HP pads, not HP Plus, because the sqeak makes the vehicle sound like it's not taken care of. I'd hate to get that look, after all I've done to make my car look nice lol.

I'm also purchasing the best winter tires available, Bridgestone WS-60's. When I say "best", it's according to statistical reviews, obviously every manufacturer will say their own tires are the best.

Hopefully it'll help with my ABS situation, because this function is rediculous. I didn't stop for over 100 meters, going only 50km'h because of the stupid ABS, in 1mm of snow!. Good thing there was no one in front of me. Save me from a bad situation my ***, more like PUT me in a bad situation.

I remember that night, when I got home I went online looking for a different car to buy haha.
Old 11-26-2008

Originally Posted by lilmidget08
how can you say brembo brakes suck they are one of the leaders of brakes out there. they come stock on evo sti and the new nissan se-r they are incredible brakes.

the OEM spec brambo BLANK rotors.....suck

they are an awesome brand, but unfortunately, when it comes to our civic's oem rotor.....only honda oem does it well.
Old 11-26-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm running Hawk HPS and I love them they are not noisy at all and the are significantly better than stock I can lay into them at 90-100mph on the track and I won't cook them. I have cooked them before but it takes a lot of work. not like stocks that you can toast just hitting the brakes once. My buddy has the HP+ and they are awesome but they do take a little bit of heat in them to get work good.

I also highly recommend Motul RBF 600 brake fluid it's really nice stuff (about $15 a bottle system takes about 1 bottle I buy 2 just in case) and it will keep you from boiling the brake fluid.

Sadly changing Brake pads will not help your ABS. There is a problem with the ABS in the 7thgen civic in the snow. It is just too sensitive and kicks in way too early. I am actually surprised that honda has not put in a recall on this cause also have a 99 prelude with abs that works great in the snow with no problems. But the civic screw that that ABS system does not work in the snow at all.

If you want to disable the ABS either pull the fuse or unplug the front two wheel sensor's. you will have an ABS light on your dash and Possibly the hand brake light(don't know why or how but it is someway tied into the abs system) but it won't work and you will actually be able to stop.

right the moment I am working on completely pulling out the whole abs in my car I still need to order 2 more brake lines though.

And Finally ABS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008

i have hawk+ so are so frigin noisy to the point its really really anoying... but man..... after about 10mins use of them....they seriously brake wonderful....like.....really wonderful
Old 11-26-2008
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

who the hell would put replacement blank rotors on. put drilled or slotted or drilled and slotted. thats the first thing i did to my car when i got it and i will never put blanks back on. such a huge improvement in braking. along with doing the rear risc swap on my 99 civic. so now i am 4 wheel disc with drilled and slotted all around and i am a firm believer of stock oem honda pads 1 because i work for honda and i see all the cars come in with noise and problems with aftermarket pads and 2 because i get them cheap. lol
Old 11-26-2008

who the hell would put replacement blank rotors on. put drilled or slotted or drilled and slotted. thats the first thing i did to my car when i got it and i will never put blanks back on. such a huge improvement in braking. along with doing the rear risc swap on my 99 civic. so now i am 4 wheel disc with drilled and slotted all around and i am a firm believer of stock oem honda pads 1 because i work for honda and i see all the cars come in with noise and problems with aftermarket pads and 2 because i get them cheap. lol

^you're a figgin idiot dude if thats what you believe.

if you have a oem spec (oem size rotor) and you put slotted and drilled rotors ur braking performance will decrease. its a universal known fact.

ur oem size rotors only have so much (or so little) surface area on that punie rotor...and having slot/drills on it takes almost 1/3 surface area off of it...and it DRAMATICALLY decreases braking given the same setup...

with ur car, slotted rotors are the only thing that will actually help ur rotor, but only by a small marginal difference....why? because they act as razor blades, and they "clean" ur pads with ever swipe. this really really eats up ur rotors fast though. HOWEVER, pads are soo well made these days that it doesnt really need that unless you are using full race pads and ur tracking ur car insanely. alot of race track enthuses prefer slotted over drilled because they channel gas, water, and swipe the pad of glaze.

now..... having DRILLED rotors are even more stupid on ur car. drilled rotors original purpose was to channel gaseous substances created by the pads' contact with the rotor during brake. in the old days the pads were not as technologically advanced as they are today, so durning heavy braking, they would create a thin gaseous barrier between the rotor and pad...and this would severely hinder braking in heavy braking conditions. HOWEVER modern brake pads have far surpassed and have eliminated the gaseous problem created from pads....so no real use of it is needed. however, it does disperse heat, saving ur rotor from wraping. however, unless ur on the track braking from 100-70 constantly, ur not gonna have any wraping problems...

now, you ask "so why do those benz and bmw...etc have drilled or slotted or a vibration of both?" simple. because they are made for it. loook at the size of their rotor and look at the size of urs. there is almost 3x+ the surface area...not to mention they have multi piston rotors, bigger master brake cylinders....

now, in ur case, you ask "why do i feel a HUGE IMPROVEMENT?" there are many variables that play a role. first, you mentioned that you had a rear disc conversion....that will ALWAYS benefit ur braking, even if you still those slotted/drilled on...ur marginal increase of surface area is still greater than the surface area you lost from the drill/slotted portion.

honda pads are most quiet. no doubt, but they still dont offer such performance like hawks or axis(sp) brands...better? defiantly... but how much? still not definite.

who the hell would put replacement blank rotors on. put drilled or slotted or drilled and slotted.

am i trying to rip at you? no. not as all. but i HATE it when ppl make ignorant and naive comments that are COMPLETELY not true because they some race technology (talking bout drilled/slotted rotors) can be applied on regular cars given the same variables (such as oem size rotors, same single piston calipers, same non-race master brake cylinders)

take this into consideration and research if you think im incorrect. you dont wanna look stupid, especially if you work at honda (hypothetically if you were at honda tech...but i wonder if you make those kinds of claims)
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
^
am i trying to rip at you? no. not as all. but i HATE it when ppl make ignorant and naive comments that are COMPLETELY not true because they some race technology (talking bout drilled/slotted rotors) can be applied on regular cars given the same variables (such as oem size rotors, same single piston calipers, same non-race master brake cylinders)

take this into consideration and research if you think im incorrect. you dont wanna look stupid, especially if you work at honda (hypothetically if you were at honda tech...but i wonder if you make those kinds of claims)
I concur.

Thanks for the advice people.

Hawk HPSs are working well so far. I stuck with Honda rotors and I am learning to love my ABS. I upgraded my tires, and found that it helps ABS big time especially during winter snow driving.

I figure it's because I actually have grip now, so the ABS knows when to engage.
Old 08-04-2012
Premium Member

i think when im due for new pads, i will try the hps instead of oem. but ive been more than happy with oem rotors and pads so far. nice quiet brakes and good stopping power usually. good for casual street driving. stay away from brembo blank rotors for our cars, they suck like you wouldnt believe.
Old 08-05-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Ive almost crashed like 5 times cause the abs kicked in when it didn't need to over uneven pavement ...really thinking about pulling the fuse...sorry about the irrelevant comment lol
Old 08-05-2012

^someone musta kinda suck at manipulating his brakes
Old 08-05-2012

Originally Posted by gearbox
i think when im due for new pads, i will try the hps instead of oem. but ive been more than happy with oem rotors and pads so far. nice quiet brakes and good stopping power usually. good for casual street driving. stay away from brembo blank rotors for our cars, they suck like you wouldnt believe.
Remember to get your rotors resurfaced if you switch to hps. Id get new outter shims as well
Old 08-05-2012
Registered!!

Remember to get your rotors resurfaced if you switch to hps. Id get new outter shims as well
Why resurface? Isn't brake cleaner enough? And the hawk hps pads come with a shim attached. Or is that not the shim? If not... dammit LOL.

@gearbox, if you're more than happy with the Honda brakes, don't try something else. You'll most likely regret it at that point no? You can't get more happy than "more than happy" lol.
Old 08-05-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Ive almost crashed like 5 times cause the abs kicked in when it didn't need to over uneven pavement ...really thinking about pulling the fuse...
^ sorry, he gave his answer
see below

I upgraded my tires, and found that it helps ABS big time especially during winter snow driving.
I figure it's because I actually have grip now, so the ABS knows when to engage.
note: I have had ABS coming in when i was lifting the rear wheel from ground, during hard corners :P
Old 08-05-2012
Premium Member

yeah good one. who knows what might happen. and with the way i use the brakes, i dont think the rotor will need resurfacing. seems to have plenty of stopping power already.

@gearbox, if you're more than happy with the Honda brakes, don't try something else.
Old 08-05-2012

Why resurface? Isn't brake cleaner enough? And the hawk hps pads come with a shim attached. Or is that not the shim? If not... dammit LOL.
i dont know if you are being sarcastic or serious... lol

yes you SHOULD resurface your rotor when you change to a new pad (especially if it is a different compound). reasons:

1. when you brake your pad makes contact to the rotor. however, the pad is not actually making contact to the actual iron... your pad is actually making contact to a thin film of brake pad residue... this is exactly WHY you need to properly BED IN your new brake pads...

2. that leads to the second reason why you need to resurface your rotor... so that you can bed in the NEW compound properly.

3. resurfacing your rotors make the rotors smooth and even again. go feel your rotor right now, there are grooves and uneven wear on it.

4. resurfacing also gets rid of all the previous/old pad residue...something brake cleaner will not take off.

a lot of places are lazy or want to cut cost so they don't resurface your rotor until looks like complete sh*t. their excuse is "resurface when necessary" (which should be every time you change your pads)

--------------------

as for the shims...its not the backing plate (also a shim) im talking about. its the ones around your edges. they're called clips (but is also a shim).

Old 08-05-2012

@gearbox, if you're more than happy with the Honda brakes, don't try something else. You'll most likely regret it at that point no? You can't get more happy than "more than happy" lol.
but you can be even MORE satisfied... like say hawk hps pads. i cant ever drive on oem pads...ever again.
Old 08-06-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

^someone musta kinda suck at manipulating his brakes
Haha the first few times it happened i had no idea wtf was going on lol...those were the times it was close

Quick Reply: Magnum Rotors