Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Hawk HP Plus brake noise

Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dlprince is an unknown quantity at this point
Hawk HP Plus brake noise

anyone used Hawk HP Plus brake pads?

I just replaced my rotors and pads, got the cheapest $30 rotors from Smyth Automotive, and Hawk Pads. They work great except from 10 mph to 0 mph. They make a harsh grinding noise, i have seated the pads twice now and am still getting the grinding.

I have read all I can read about this and still don't know what my problem is.

Very Annoying, need help.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hawk HP Plus brake noise

could be the rotor, but most likely the pads. its normal noises. it might go away as you bed in the pads (make it a smoother surface between pad and rotor from using the brakes), but it may get worse. its usually the pad material that makes the noise.
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

any ideas on how long the break-in period could take? I have about 100 miles on them already. I believe i have narrowed the noise down to the outside of the rotor on the drivers side.
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

did you do the real break in for the hawk pads? my friend got some brake pads (forgot which ones) and in the instructions it said specifically to go from like 80mph - 0mph by slamming the brakes. also the same for 60-0, 40-0, 30-0, 20-0 and 10-0. maybe that would help seat your brake pads. he did this on a deserted backroad and slammed the brakes as hard as he could during the whole process.
Old 11-03-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah there is an actual break in method for performance pads you have to do. they wont break in by themselves with normal stopping like oems do. my oems took almost 1k miles of city driving before they felt "good" with normal stopping power. when they were new, it made scrape noises and didnt stop well at all.
Old 11-03-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

its jsut the pads man.....i have hawks plus too with brembo blanks...

the stopping performance is great, but they are noisey as hell at low braking speeds...

after bout 1000 miles on mine, it stopped grinding...now it just sqeeks...hahah but thats because the bembo blanks suck as well
Old 11-03-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

ferro carbon pads FTW!!!! they have unmatched performance......(well, untill u start using the 200+ dollar race pads..)
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

02whiteem2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah those Pads do that. Mine have been doing that for over a month now. Maybe next time i change them i should follow the break-in procedure more carefully. But besides the noise these pads have great stopping power.
Old 11-03-2008

^even if you do the break in right, you will stll have the noise... (because i did my break in to the T, and it still makes noise)

you guys gotta remember that these are "track/race AND street" pads... so they are a bit uncomfortable, but the stopping power is awesome!
Old 11-03-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for all the info, I did do the break in, from 60-0 and on down. Nothing higher than 60though, I need to find the right road at the right time for that. Hopefully things will quiet down in a couple more miles!
Old 11-03-2008

^it wont. but after bout 1000miles, it will die down... =]

you gotta remember its not made of ceramic/kevlar/metal like other "street" pads... its ferro carbon dude
Old 11-04-2008
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

I got HP and Blanks combo too....didnt spend too much time breaking them in. Now they sqeek at low speeds oh well
Old 11-04-2008

Originally Posted by doctor
I got HP and Blanks combo too....didnt spend too much time breaking them in. Now they sqeek at low speeds oh well
we are talking about HP PLUS pads......not just HP.....they are two completely different pads...
Old 11-04-2008
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

oh...well mine makes noise but I can live with it cause brake dust is minimal.
Old 11-04-2008
Registered!!

SSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura aboutSSMCivic2k5 has a spectacular aura about

mine did for like 250 miles... soo i just drove to end of my state and drove back haha