Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

torque wrenches worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all
torque wrenches worth it?

anyone not use em? or just trust the power of the impact drill?
Old 09-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Re: torque wrenches worth it?

yes. if you do any wrenching of your own, a torque wrench is a good thing to have. you can cause some serious damage under- or even in some cases, over-torquing a bolt or nut..
Old 09-20-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

well, if you overtorque a nut or bolt too much, the next time you may need to go at it, it will probably be a b***** to get off, from all the vibrations the car puts it through and all too.
Old 09-20-2008
Love me some nice, long-lasting vics!

jgcentury will become famous soon enoughjgcentury will become famous soon enough

absolutely ^, especially on something like alloy wheels, you can possibly over torque a lug nut and crack a rim with an impact gun.
Old 09-20-2008
Registered!!

kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

well i just removed my wheels today and put them on without an impact gun. I think i'm more concerned about not putting them on hard enough rather than over doing it because im weak
Old 09-21-2008

jgcentury will become famous soon enoughjgcentury will become famous soon enough

100 ft lbs is all you need which isn't much, I've broken a stud cranking on a lug by hand with a four way lug wrench. When you use a torque wrench for the first time and see what 100 ft lbs feels like it's like, "wow!, that's not much at all."
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

if you have ever had to stand on your lug wrench to get the wheel off, it was probably over-tightened, which is more than 100 ft/lbs....
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

so whenever i need work done on my wheels/brakes etc or any other time that an impact gun is required, what should i do since most shops do not use a torque wrench. it took me a lot of effort to remove my lug nuts even with a pipe extension
Old 09-21-2008

Tell them use a f'ing torque wrench, all shops should have them if they have any decent mechanics.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

can i get one for under 20 bucks?
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

btw, can undertightened lug nuts cause the car to feel wobbly - or perhaps i just need an alignment (after lowering my front half an inch more today) tire balancing?
Old 09-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i had to use a breaker bar with a cheater pipe on the end of it to get my lug nuts loosened after a shop worked on it. im surprised they didnt break off they were way overtorqued. 80 ft/lbs is all you need and yes all nuts have to be the exact same torque or the rotors will warp. i cant believe so many people still dont use a torque wrench. just amazes me. my huge one costed $25
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

ya my rotors is kinda warp already - i feel sensation under my breaks sometmies.
so im gonna get that torque wrench tomorrow.

if its over tightened past 80 ft/lb will it tell me?
Old 09-21-2008

with a torque wrench, it will just click when you get it tightened to the setting that you have it on, then you know you are done. And some you can find for pretty cheap, cheapest I've seen is $14, but you should make sure you get a decent brand at least. I've also seen some in the + $100 range. But that isn't that necessary unless you are a mechanic or at least someone who uses it very frequently.
Old 09-21-2008

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah. Snap-On has ones that are digital that get pretty pricey!

wow, it's been quite a while since i've named brands like that!
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

Hondan should not be trusted

I am going to purchase 1 soon.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

what will the torque wrench do if my lug nuts are tighter than setting?
Old 09-21-2008

You don't have to take them off with the torque wrench if that is what you mean, otherwise I'm not following....
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know how you anyone can call themselves are car enthusiast/mechanic without using a torque wrench. torqing bolts is VERY CRITICAL.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

the torque wrench will click if it is overtightened and not tighten the bolt anymore. to redo it just loosen the lug nuts and retighten them slowly until you hear the audible click from the wrench. if you do it too fast the torque wrench might give you inaccurate readings because it couldnt read the torque readings fast enough.. also do not drop your torque wrench and do not leave it on the highest settings for long periods of time. doing so will knock the calibrations off of the wrench.

i bought a really nice HUSKY torque wrench from home depot for 60 bucks. it locks in the torque so it cannot be changed while using it. comes with a nice carrying case too so it doesnt get damaged.
Old 09-21-2008

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Husky from Depot for $60 w/case ftw!!!!
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

so i loosen my nuts first while the car is not jacked up, then retighten them with the torque wrench?
Old 09-21-2008

Originally Posted by kcari
so i loosen my nuts first while the car is not jacked up, then retighten them with the torque wrench?
correct!
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

okay the difference in feeling was actually the lugs not being tightened enough!! i just went out this morning and thought i would try to retighten them and hell they were still able to be tighten by a lot and i barely used any force. I guess I was just afraid to over tighten them that I under tightened them. Afterwards, took it out for a drive and the feeling is back to normal woot woot.
i'll ask the alignment place to retorque them to be safe. thanks again
Old 09-21-2008

Originally Posted by jgcentury
You don't have to take them off with the torque wrench if that is what you mean, otherwise I'm not following....
it will click when it reaches the set ft. lbs.

just put on your lugs (or whatever bolt/nut) with your hand, until it's hand-tight...then just use the torque wrench to get it to the set ft. lbs.

using it as a normal wrench up until the set ft. lbs. doesn't mess it up or anything.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

IMSHANE will become famous soon enough

If you ever need a quick torque check Discount Tire can check them for free. It doesn't take that much time to torque depending on the wheels. Most take less than a minute. The torque for the lugs is 80 ft lbs and any experienced tech there can tell when they are over torqued.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

80lbs is enough to have them tight. you don't want to over tighten them because you can cross thread the threads on the hub. its a relatively expensive fix. just tighten them and drive around for a bit and gently re-tighten them if there slightly loose. torque wrenches are very useful when your tighten more fragile components like suspension and screwing on bolts in the engine bay.
Old 09-21-2008
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

it looks like you have non oem wheels. if you have a key you shouldnt use an impact gun anyway. and how the hell do you not know to loosen the lugs beforre you jack up the car?
Old 09-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

with aluminum wheels, they will need to be retorqued again after around 50 miles before they keep the right torque.
Old 09-22-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

I know I should be doing that, but I always end up doing it a lot later, but they dont loosen itself. That's for me anyways, I cant say the same for others.

Quick Reply: torque wrenches worth it?