Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

help with tire width and type?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dryft will become famous soon enough
help with tire width and type?

whats up guys.
So what i'm looking for is some type of guide for buying tires based upon rim size. The ONLY place i found this *calculator* is at procivic.com
http://www.procivic.com/pages-honda_...ide/index.html

the problem is i've sworn up and down i bought 18x7.5 rims, yet when i enter these dimensions into the above calculator it spits out tire sizes of
215/35R18
215/40R18
225/35R18
which do not match my current tire size of 205/40r18
so did the shop originally order too small of tires?
i went to go measure it quick and dirty and i'm pretty sure it's 7.5 with a 1 inch lip. Eyeing it up's kinda hard with the variable depths spread across the width.
And i checked the AXIS website (my rims), and they don't even offer 7" for the REVERB (my rim type),http://www.axiswheels.com/axis_wheel...s_and_lips.php
so its gotta be 7.5
So my question is, is there some basis or calculator used for ordering tires using my rim size?

and and and..i was thinking NITTO or FALKEN? (er another recommendation?)
-i am currently rockin nitto neo gens 205/40zr18 86w
-could care less about tire noise
-i will be using these tires year round most likely (my stock rims would drop my kit too low in the winter IMO)
-i'd like to stick to a sidewall ratio of 40
-i'd like to keep it around or under $800
-i'm looking for quality performance, not the best deal.

soo can anyone help?

Last edited by dryft; 08-25-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: title change
Old 08-26-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: help with tire width and type?

www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc

pretty much the internet standard for tire calculators.
Old 08-26-2008
Registered!!

nope not even close to my question but thats ok. I've been searching around and i was stuck on the
Falken Ziex ZE-912
but i believe for better handling i'm going to go with the
YOKOHAMA AVID W4S's
215/40ZR18 89W
http://www.tirerack.com...
i was reading over everything and they seem to get all great reviews.
anyone have/had these tires? Or heard anything about them? i'll be ordering new tires this week so some input would be great from anyone.

also, since i already have my rims, would it be cheaper to purchase these tires online, or through a shop?
Old 08-26-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

always cheaper online
Old 08-27-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

just be careful with 215's. if your lowered, when you go over speed bumps the rear inner fender will slice into your tire.
Old 08-27-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol why do they make the fender like that, instead of cutting that stupid lip off...
Old 08-27-2008
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm on 215/35/18 and lowered on eibach prokit. the back is less than a finger gap, but it seems like it's not rubbing or slicing into my tire. so i guess i'm one of the lucky few.
Old 08-27-2008
Premium Member

when i moved back home and car was full of stuff, rear had tire tucked 1 finger and no scrape. theres quite alot of room still even tho it doesnt look like it. and if it rubs, its gonna be on the sidewall not the tread. but yea it could be dangerous.
Old 08-27-2008
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, when i first put them on, i had couple people sit at the back and went over the speed bumps couple times pretty hard (~10mph) so see if it rubbed or not.
Old 08-27-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

before i was lower on neuspeed springs with one finger front and two finger rear and i would rub bad on bumps. I had 215/45/17 tires. It also depends on the brand of tire you use. 45 sidewall between different brands are different depending on if its a more rounded side wall or square.
Old 08-27-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
always cheaper online
thank you, much appreciated

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
just be careful with 215's. if your lowered, when you go over speed bumps the rear inner fender will slice into your tire.
no i am not lowered on anything, just have the bodykit

does anyone have any insight on YOKOHAMA AVID W4S's???
Old 09-02-2008
Registered!!

bump

does anyone have any opinions and/or feedback for the

Yokohama AVID W4S???
215/40R18 89W

and even though gearbox, you said it was cheaper ordering the tires online vs. through a shop, someone told me i wouldn't have to pay shipping costs if i ordered through a shop?

and would i have to buy new tire valve stems as well?
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

Sorry no experience with the yokohama'a AVID W4S.

If you order online there is a cost for shipping. I use to work at a tire shop while in college and If you order at a shop, there usually is no cost associated with a special order tire. Tires are typically marked up 100% anyways. Most tire manufacturers have a distribution warehouse in most metropolitan areas. If a shop does charge for shipping for a special order I would take my business else where-It's a good indication that the shop is up to no good.

As far as valve stems, it's a good idea to replace them every time you replace tires. Typical valve stems are made of rubber which has a tendency to crack overtime resulting in tire pressure loss. You can go with steel stems which last longer, but they are more expensive of course.

Last edited by buckshizzo; 09-03-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2008
Registered!!

just check tirerack.com and see if the price is comparable.
Old 09-04-2008
Registered!!

alright so i swung by my shop yesterday, (auto and truck outfitters), and they were actually very surprised to see the price i found on tire rack.
120/tire w/ 40.92 shipping

He said i might as well order them myself because he would only be able to make like 11 bucks profit off each tire, er all together i can't remember.

then he quoted me about $160 for taking my tires off, mounting, balancing, new valve stems etc. i guess this is average cost, no clue, havn't compared.
Old 09-10-2008
Registered!!

Look what arrived on Tuesday!

yokohama avid w4s 215/40r18 89w all season ultra high perfomance
gettin em installed tomorrow at merchants for around 50 bux. recommended from a friend.