Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Falken Ziex Ze-912's or Kumho Ecsta ASX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008
I Queef > You

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sKwiD is on a distinguished road
Falken Ziex Ze-912's or Kumho Ecsta ASX?

Time for some new tires. My 195/55's right now are so freaking loud. Why do civics rattle so much and have so much road noise?

195/60/15's on Si Wheels
-Daily Driver
-Quietness is really important (minimal road noise)
-Of course grip is also important
-Lowered on Neuspeed Sport Springs and Stock Shocks

Both I can get for around $250 installed. Any suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=

vs.

MANUFACTURER/ MODEL:
Falken ZIEX ZE-912
CONDITION:
New
QUANTITY OF 1 =
1 Tire
TIRE TYPE:
All-Season Performance
SIZE:
195/60R15
LOAD RATING/SPEED RATING:
88H

LOAD RANGE/ PLY RATING (IF APPLICABLE):
N/A

TREADWEAR/ TRACTION/ TEMPERATURE:
480/A/A
MATERIAL/ WORKMANSHIP WARRANTY:
Yes
MILAGE WARRANTY:
APPROVED RIM WIDTH (INCHES):
5.5-7

OVERALL WIDTH (INCHES):
OVERALL HEIGHT/ DIAMETER (INCHES):

TIRE SIDEWALL :
Black Wall
RIM GUARD:
No
Old 01-09-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Falken Ziex Ze-912's or Kumho Ecsta ASX?

i say falkens, kumho doesnt have a good track record with me, ive had 2 different sets, and they dont last, and are kinda noisy, and dont consider just price as a factor, consider treadwear and compound, but its up to u
Old 01-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive heard alot of complaints on the falkens about being noisy tires.
Old 01-09-2008
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

both of those are loud... Burke420.. he works for discount tire and hes had experience with these tires.. he can give u a postive review
Old 01-10-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder if this guy even read the reviews on tirerack lol
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

both are horrible... get some proxes4 or dunlop direzzas... best bang for your buck, not so noisy, and they grip
Old 01-10-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Why do civics rattle so much and have so much road noise?
Its an econobox, not a lexus

I hate the ASXs. No rain traction, nothing for snow traction and marginally decient in the dry. They arent quiet either. Quiet tires tend to cost money.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

FALKENS. I have the 512's. They're very grippy and cheap and are prolly the best tires I bought in terms of grip and speed.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

civicarina will become famous soon enoughcivicarina will become famous soon enough

Ok first things first.

Tirerack reviews are not true ... Tirerack does its testing on a freaking Bmw 3 series or 5 series which itself is a very quite car. Other than that the reviews written by their customers are often after the first few hundred miles ! Any tire is quite for the first 1000 miles ..Its after the break in period that u actually start feelin everything such as road noise, lousy grip and less traction etc.
I bought General UHP's from tirerack an year ago, and seriously even though they were rated by tirerack as no.1 tires They were loud as hell (even the comfort metre said 8 out of 10 on tirerack) So please dont trust the reviews on tirerack.com

I myself have the Falken Ziex Ze-912's on my 15 inches right now and let me tell you one thing. The tires are quiter than the stock oem tires that come on the civic. Much better than the Kumhos coz i have had them to before the General UHP's. The road grip is good but not the best. Wet tracktion is awesome though ! I live in florida where it rains even when we have sunshine so wet traction is big issue here, and the Falkens fight for em Good Luck !

Oh btw the quitest tires are Goodyear Tripletreads / Comforttreads
Old 01-10-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

If you want grip, get a summer tire, not an all season tire. The best all season I can recommend is the falken 512. They usually don't last too long though.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

I sold and installed tires when I was in college and from my experience kuhmos and falkens are low to mid range tires, whereas michelins and goodyear are usually the high end tires. If you want a quite tire be prepared to shell out the extra cash. Just like civicarina said the comfortread by goodyear is a really good quite tire if thats what your looking for. A tire I really like for a 15" is the michelin MXV4 energy plus, but is rather expensive.

You can generally tell if a tire will be noisy by looking at the tread pattern. However, there are other variables to consider too such as tread design and air pressure in the tires. Larger blocky treads tend to be more noisy and smaller treads tend to be less noisy. If your also looking for traction on wet roads, you want a tire with more channels running across the tire and horizontal cuts (called sipes) in the tread. These cuts act like suction cups forcing out the water as they grip the road. On dry roads, grip is generally determined by the speed or performance rating of the tire. The higher in speed rating you go the better the grip, which is due to the softer rubber used--but in turn you lose milage warranty.

Also like civicarina said don't believe reviews on tires. Different cars respond differently to different tires. There is also no perfect tire with everything your looking for, it's give or take. If your looking for performance you're going to lose milage and if your looking for milage your going to lose performance.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice

I had the asx's before and they lasted me about 40,000 a little less but a decent tire for the price. Definitely not a quiet tire nor a smooth riding tire but it gets the job done. I'd say go for the 512 if your worried about the ride quality and road noise for the price but I can't speak for it's longevity
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

Spikez1222 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just ordered the Falken ZE-912's and should be coming in tomorrow... I got mine (15") for $47 PER tire... VERY good deal at www.edgeracing.com... go check it out guys... very good deals on tires! I'll tell ya'll how the Falken's run when I get em...
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice

Discounttiredirect.com has free shipping, if you don't need the valves it's $232 shipped
Old 01-10-2008
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I do understand that better tires tend to cost more money, but to be honest I don't really feel like spending more money on the Civic anymore. Too much money has been invested into the car during the last 6 years, lol. I just need the best bang for the buck.

I have Michelin Energy something tires on right now and they're loud. You would think that for expensive Michelin's the tires would be a little more quiet. On top of that one of my tires continues to leak air and the sidewalls are starting to show signs of cracking. These tires came with the wheels when I bought them, so yeah. Since the life of the car I've tried about 5 sets of tires, and this will be my 6th.

1. Firestone OEM (185/65/15) - Blah
2. Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's (205/40/17) - I loved these tires. Would not let me lose grip, not loud, perfect.
3. BF-Goodrich G-Force Sports (215/40/17) - Not bad, somewhat loud, gripped differently than the Kumho's. Preferred the Kumho's.
4. Kumho HP4 716 (195/65/15) - Super fat, super quiet, super SUV feeling, super slow.
5. Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (195/55/15) - Can't really judge these tires because they were used before I got them. As of right now they suck.

And I agree that reviews on tirerack.com don't do justice. All of the customer reviews for every tire begin to sound the same after awhile. Anyway, I'm always up for some more tire recommendations. I don't really peel out or take turns as fast as I used to anymore, only from time to time. Hmm, so I'm back where I began.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

Honestly you won't be able to tell the difference between the kuhmos and falkens. They're both good tires for the price and you can't go wrong with either. The only way you can tell the difference is if you deal with tires everyday like I did. It's really sad when you can tell who makes the tire just by looking at the tread pattern.

If it was my car and up to me, I'd go with the kuhmos. Since you liked the old ecsta... you'll probably like the new ecsta asx, which replaced the old ecstas.

btw most tires that are more than 4 years old, when subjected to the elements, will start to crack regardless of how much you spent on the tires. This is called weathering or dry rot. Just because a tire still has good tread doesn't necessarily mean its still good. Tires should be replaced every 4 years. I've seen plenty tires blow out from being too old. You can tell how old a tire is by looking on the sidewall. Look where you see the word "DOT" and following that at the very end circled is something like "4305", which means the tire was manufactured on the 43 week of 2005.
Old 01-10-2008
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

FTW

I saw 912's i have em and love to death, great handling, never like Kumho this is all IMO but i still think Falken (or should we say Sumitomo) makes a better tire for the price (www.discounttiredirect)
Old 01-10-2008
Premium Member

im getting some kumho solus $50 a tire soon. i had bridgestone turanza and while they made almost no noise and handled great (lasted 50k miles), they were over $100 per tire and i just dont feel like spending that for a car that i mostly use in the city at low speeds anyway.
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

so which tires did you end up getting?
Old 02-07-2008
Premium Member

Fuzion HRi lol its not too bad after 2k miles of roadtrip. good grip, but noisy. oh well. $55 a tire.
Old 02-07-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

nitto neogens, nothing else should be considered for performance, and fuzion hri's suck ***, crappy treadpattern, kumho is crap, an dmichelin is too expensive, plus goodyears are overrated on treadwear
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

jrock will become famous soon enoughjrock will become famous soon enough

nitto neogens ftw I love mine!
Old 02-08-2008
Premium Member

hmm next time i might try those. fuzion is not too bad, i would never buy it again, but its not bad enough where i would throw them out
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light

falkens i love them i have them on every car i own
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold

ive had those falkens and they do perform pretty good, only bad side is they wear quick as hell.
Old 02-08-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i have those falkens....they're freaking awesome.

running 215/50/16 and they stick to the road alot better than the 512's i use to have.
Old 02-09-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the mixed reviews I've been reading I decided to give the Falkens a try; just ordered them tonight. Will give feedback after install. I don't really care about road noise and these should be an improvement over my Kumho Powerstar 758's; which were great for commuting/traveling, not so much for performance.
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my review of the falkens Ziex ZE-912. I finally got them installed. I must say they are very quiet, much more quiet compared to my former Kumhos. I went from 185/65/15 to a 195/60/15 and I still have plenty of room to even go to a 205 tire. I have 1 finger gap in the back and 2finger gap in the front with plenty of clearance no rubbing. The ride is so smooth over bumps however, in turns I feel like my kumhos gave me more feedback. I could feel when they were losing grip and adjust my throttle. With the falkens I can't feel what the tires are doing but I haven't broken traction yet. I did just get an alignment so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I was running some negative camber with my old kumhos and I think thats why I felt more feedback from the tires and road. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I will continue this review of wet traction tomorrow. So far I love these babies and $225 shipped with chrome stems is not too shabby if you ask me.
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

bluecivic_19 is a jewel in the roughbluecivic_19 is a jewel in the roughbluecivic_19 is a jewel in the roughbluecivic_19 is a jewel in the rough

get the kumho's i got a set on my 17's their ****ing great i got all season
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

fidencio74 is an unknown quantity at this point

??????

Quick Reply: Falken Ziex Ze-912's or Kumho Ecsta ASX?