Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

I need an alignment - better off at the dealership or a big name car shop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atticus is an unknown quantity at this point
I need an alignment - better off at the dealership or a big name car shop?

Thanks to a couple of members on the site I determined I need an alignment.

I'm out of town at the moment, but there's a big toyota/scion/honda/hyundai dealership a few miles away as well as a precision tune, meineke ect.

This is not my home dealership(which I've always had good service from) so I'm not sure where to take my car. This is pretty much the first "major" work done to it.

If you suggest to not go to the dealership which major chain shop has the best track record?
Old 06-01-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: I need an alignment - better off at the dealership or a big name car shop?

most dealers dont have racks, they'll just send it to a local shop. So save the extra step. It really doesnt matter, its a pretty difficult thing to mess up unless the tech is incompetent.
Old 06-01-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

yeah.. stealership ftl
Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggest you locate the nearest Firestone and buy the lifetime alignment! It pays for itself over and over again
Old 06-01-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

go to a big name place like sears or similar that specialize in tires and alignments. that way, when you need a touch up, you can use your warranty at any location, unlike the dealer where you have to take it to the same place regardless of your location.
Old 06-01-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold

eh go to a wheel and tire shop, not a chain, that specializes in suspension and uses an aligment bay. the guys there will have the most experience with lowered cars if yours is. if its stock, just go to a firestone or something.
Old 06-01-2007
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

if your cam is lowered and they say they dont do lowered cars because its lowered and not because they cant fit it on the rack, then they have no business doing alignments in the first place. A lowered car is no different to align than a stock car. There is a difference between an alignment tech and someone who makes numbers green and takes your money. An alignment tech is someone who is capable of figuring out and fixing a problem not just setting the numbers green